• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game deserved to be 2006's Game of the Year?

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Votes: 661 43.4%
  • Gears of War

Votes: 176 11.6%
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Votes: 212 13.9%
  • New Super Mario Bros.

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 165 10.8%
  • Okami

Votes: 196 12.9%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 96 6.3%

• Total voters
Jan 15, 2019
Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game that really clicked with me, and LoZ has become one of my favorite gaming series since.

The atmosphere, the characters, the sound design, the art style, etc all came together to make a really distinct and excellent game in my opinion, and it's the first Zelda title to really feel like an actual, full-scale adventure. I love the fact that Link starts the game as a simple farmhand and the outside world literally crashes into his tiny village. I remember being awestruck by the grandeur of Lake Hylia, mesmerized by the way you had to sink soooo far beneath the lake to get to the water dungeon (Lakebed Temple?), then giddy at the fact that after you beat the incredibly imposing boss in that dungeon, your next move is to get catapulted beyond what I thought was the playable world of Twilight Princess and into the Gerudo Desert, where you face off against one of the better bosses in the Zelda franchise. Then, after aaaall that, you make a trek through this snowy tundra to play one of the Zelda series' best dungeons and also Twilight Princess' most whimsical, which is essentially a Yeti's mansion in which you gather ingredients to help his sick wife. The boss fight of that dungeon is also my personal favorite in the series and the use of ice reflections was a stroke of genius.

All in all, I think that stretch of time from the 3rd to 5th dungeon of Twilight Princess might be the best chunk of any game, ever. I also love the way Link is eased into the adventure gradually from the start of the game to the end of the 1st dungeon. Something feels so right about the first foray into your adventure being this kind of creepy forest that's always been just outside the village where you've spent your entire life. The game does an excellent job of expanding the scope of the adventure as it progresses. Even the way the game emphasizes just how weird King Bulbin must look to Link the first time he sees him helps drive home the point that Link is by no means cut out for what's waiting for him at the beginning of the story which helps make all your progress feel truly earned. I think the dungeons lose a bit of cohesiveness toward the end and don't match the atmosphere of the others, but they're still perfectly fine.

Overall, excellent game. I know it has its detractors but I think the elements others are turned off by (art style, empty overworld, etc) all contribute beautifully to the game's tone and make for a compelling, memorable adventure.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not...
*checks list*
Wait, actually, maybe it did

Lemme check the 06 forecast for whatever my actual fave was...
Woah, usually I think the whole "*insert year* was a really weak year for games!" is an opinion that comes from limited scope or specifically 2012.
But I'm not gonna lie, running through the wikipedia list was pretty damn tragic for me personally, I have become what I protested in the 2014 thread.
The end of an old gen and the arrival of a new one with all the half arsed products that come with it, and the DS still trying to escape its gimmick status while PSP loses its footing.

Even taking some of the stronger poll options here I'm thinking...
- Gears 1 is fine, not really my jam but a solid title to put 360 on the map
- Okami is like if TP had more charm but lesser game design
- TP is like Okami with less charm and better game design
- NSMB has aged like milk, source: I replayed it last month
- Oblivion was part of the same batch of milk, source: I played bits of it at the time
- FF12 is really the only one in the list I never played

So of the poll it's between one of Gears/TP/Okami

BUT SUDDENLY, I REMEMBERED SOMETHING
Which is odd that it took me until halfway through writing this post to recall despite watching a history of video on it about an hour ago
ELITE
BEAT
AGENTS
tumblr_lhnvjaMIc81qbc2h3o1_400.gif

GOTY

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Okami is really overrated. It's opening is worse than Zelda

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Hourglass is also considered as one of the best games of all time according to meta, so I guess it must be true
Regardless of personal opinions on the game, he stated it's a common opinion. A bunch of critics averaged it at a 95, a bunch of users a 9.0 (though I don't give much weight to user scores), and it's even winning this poll. So I don't think it's that common that it's "ok at best" 🤷🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No? In the context of the series maybe, but an ok Zelda is still in the upper echelon of great games in most cases.

This isn't an "ok game at best" according to the masses

If Twilight Princess was so beloved, why don't we see it on more best of lists, fan or critical. If it was the best game of 2006, or even near there, we'd see it in top 10s or 20s all over the shop. For people who love the old Zelda formula, TP checks that box. It's one for the fans. For everyone else it's a snooze fest.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If Twilight Princess was so beloved, why don't we see it on more best of lists, fan or critical. If it was the best game of 2006, or even near there, we'd see it in top 10s or 20s all over the shop. For people who love the old Zelda formula, TP checks that box. It's one for the fans. For everyone else it's a snooze fest.
There's a difference between being considered one of the greatest games of all time and "ok at best."

You're missing a pretty wide range of games there. TP falls into it, most think it's good-great.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between being considered one of the greatest games of all time and "ok at best."

You're missing a pretty wide range of games there. TP falls into it, most think it's good-great.
Okay but this thread is about whether TP and others are GOTY 2006. If you're upset that I don't like a game you love as much as you then maybe we should take this to DMs.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but this thread is about whether TP and others are GOTY 2006. If you're upset that I don't like a game you love as much as you then maybe we should take this to DMs.
TP isn't even one of my favorite games lol, I'm also not arguing that it should be one of yours or that you should like it. I'm simply challenging your assertion that "it's a common opinion that it's ok at best." It may be your opinion, but it's not common.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TP isn't even one of my favorite games lol, I'm also not arguing that it should be one of yours or that you should like it. I'm simply challenging your assertion that "it's a common opinion that it's ok at best." It may be your opinion, but it's not common.
I've seen that opinion in a lot of places, even in this thread. There's no point in burying your head in the sand about it. But as I say that's very off topic.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
yes. Even if it isn't the strongest Zelda game, Twighlight Princess is still head and shoulders above the rest as a whole package. It smokes it's competition quite handily IMO.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Well, we definitely don't see most of the other competitors from that year in top 10s either, lfmao.

I would say from that list only Okami and TP aged gracefully, and TP was the better game as well. Okami aged better than Zelda, but then again, it never evolved into anything so we can't compare it.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Twilight Princess is an incredibly overrated game but it was a pretty weak year overall. So it's probably between TP, Gears and Dead Rising.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All these threads are doing for me is reaffirming how amazing this current gen of games are.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
There had to be something better than those that year. All of that list, I'd imagine it would be gears of war. I don't remember what else came out. Was final fantasy 12 then or a year earlier? That should be it.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it did, it's a great game and unfortunately the last good 3D Zelda game.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's a pretty fucking dire list. Both Oblivion and TP were the worst entries in their series.

Oct 28, 2017
Absofuckinglutely.

Let me tell you a story. A story of a 16 year old that just got his first weekend job and thus for the first time in their life was earning their own money. For the first time in this young innocent teenagers life they could afford to buy their own console. Didn't have to rely on their parents to buy the one console in a generation.

And so it's coming up to christmas. The PS3 got delayed to March 2007 but look at this other cool looking system coming out! It has motion controls and everything woah! Oh my god look at that game it looks amazing I have to have that! This young lad was getting so excited by this cool game called........Wii Sports.

Oh what's that? There's another game coming out on the Wii's launch? Something called Zelda? Oh I've heard of that I think sounds like a nerds game. And so this young lad got his hands on a Wii. It was super cool. Motion controls baybyyyyy. Well I might as well get another game for my Wii as well thought the young lad. He decided to get this nerd Zelda thing he'd been hearing about.

So he fired up Zelda and played it for about 20 minutes. This is boring I'm putting Wii Sports back on thought the young lad.

But the next day he decided to try Zelda again. Wasnt too long before something started to click. This game is pretty cool actually he thought. So he played it more. And more. And more. And more. OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING! Something wonderful had happened. The more he played Twilight Princess the happier he became.

The game just got better and better. It made him begin to forget about the fact his first ever girlfriend recently dumped and humiliated him. It made him forget about the horrors of the world. He was so engrossed in this world. He adored the stellar dungeon designs. He loved the feeling he got as he was solving these great puzzles. He loved the grand adventure. He loved the setting. He loved the characters. He loved the story. This was unlike any game he had ever played before. It quickly became one of his favourite games of all time.

His love for this game caused him to seek out other games in this franchise. He played them all after this, but sadly no other Zelda game would give him the same feelings. Twilight Princess was special. He would never forget about this game. He would praise it whenever he got the chance and tell everyone how underrated it is.

Many years later.....

He posted in this thread.

The end.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I wanna have a conversation with all nine of you motherfuckers who voted for New Super Mario Bros.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Its the game that steered me away from the zelda franchise, so no.

Oblivion and gears influenced so much that generation, and deserved too because they are great

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Just played it (Wii version) for the first time and finished it last week.

I'm surprised folks bought a Wii to play this game, as I'm sure the GameCube version was just fine, and the motion stuff wasn't crucial or done in a dramatically different way. Aiming was easier I guess, but you're not constantly using it. Most of the game, my pointer was resting on the side of the screen.

Also, it felt like a lot of stuff that Ocarina and Windwaker did was just being reused.
Almost like it was obligatory to make the game like that.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun because the dungeons were well designed.

Do I think it's better than Final Fantasy XII and Okami? No.
But if someone said it was their favorite 2006 game, I wouldn't blame them. It just wasn't a strong year for games.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
final fantasy xii was pretty good. so was valkyrie profile 2. neither was twilight princess.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing in Okami as good as City in the Sky imo
The brush mechanic alone is better than any Zelda mechanic. Not to mention Okami's Soundtrack is godlike and far and beyond anyhting TP did. And while it's combat was easy, it was way more fun than any Zelda game, too.

It's dungeons weren't anything special though that's true.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Considering the competition, I would still say yes - Twilight Princess is still the best game from 2006. Only Oblivion really competes.

Cheers to all of the Okami fans, though. I've replayed both Okami and Twilight Princess in their respective HD versions over the past couple of years and I still prefer Twilight Princess.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a huge fan, but to be honest, looking back, Gears was probably the most influential.

Oct 28, 2017
Okami is so shit I get angry just thinking about that game. That unskippable intro. THAT FUCKING UNSKIPPABLE INTRO.

Okami is a pacing nightmare. It takes too long to start. It takes too long to end. It constantly wastes the players time. It's honestly the first game that pops in to my head when the subject of games that artificially lengthen their playtime comes up. It has annoying completely unfun combat. Okami sucks, guys. I hated that game so much.