• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game deserved to be 2006's Game of the Year?

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Votes: 661 43.4%
  • Gears of War

Votes: 176 11.6%
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Votes: 212 13.9%
  • New Super Mario Bros.

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 165 10.8%
  • Okami

Votes: 196 12.9%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 96 6.3%

• Total voters

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
at the time, Oblivion was a dream come true. Twilight, on the other side, was good, but not excellent.
Gears of War was also a pretty good game, if you ask me, but nowhere near a GOTY.
Maybe we could also give FFXII more praise, but I kinda understand it's a niche game.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
As much as i love Breath of the Wild, the atmosphere in Twilight Princess is unmatched.
after TP, FFXII was the best game that year.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The game definitely has pacing issues, but there's a lot of quality content in Twilight Princess.

After Ocarina of Time, I don't think there's a 3D Zelda game I would call unequivocally Great with a capital G until Breath of the Wild. While Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are all high quality releases, they all have significant problems which make them fall short of true greatness. Majora's Mask is probably the most worthy of those games, on account of its strong core concept and brevity. Still, I prefer playing Twilight Princess.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda, but it still annihilates the rest on that list.

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a crappy year since the next gen was starting and devs were working on games for the new consoles.

Mother 3 did come out in Japan on that year, but if that doesn't count then I guess TP was the best.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I love Twilight Princess, so yes. The beginning with the Forest Temple is the worst, but the rest of the dungeons are great. I really love Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak and City in the Sky. Not many sidequests, though. At all. But I really like to play it.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
TP is still one of my favorite Zelda games ever.

The beginning first 3? Hours? is probably make it or break it for a lot of folks though.
But man if you can make part that the game is wonderful

Okami on the other hand is a nightmare to play. Endless dialog endless characters that won't shut up etc

And recently I tried ff12 and I just couldn't get into it

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
TP still has the best dungeon design in the series. To me it's one of the best series.

Oct 26, 2017
I voted for Oblivion. Hugely influential game that people are still buying.

I loved TP. I completed it twice. Once at release on Wii and again on the rerelease on Wii U. It's good but the first 30 hours are kind of a slog. The second 30 are fantastic though. I wouldn't say it influenced the gaming industry as much as Oblivion though.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess is a solid answer, and there's no shame in that.

But:
-Wikipedia says Kingdom Hearts 2 came out everywhere except Japan in 2006. (It came out in 2005 in Japan.) How does that work? Do we only count the release year for the original country?
-I can't imagine Era giving GOTY to a game like Wii Sports, but I feel like it's importance in bringing gaming to a significantly wider audience can't be overstated.
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence came out in 2006. I don't know if that counts, but if it does, I'd probably call that my GOTY, because it took an already amazing game and kicked it up to 11.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Xenosaga III would be my pick.

From the poll it's either TP or Okami.

But:
-Wikipedia says Kingdom Hearts 2 came out everywhere except Japan in 2006. (It came out in 2005 in Japan.) How does that work? Do we only count the release year for the original country?
-I can't imagine Era giving GOTY to a game like Wii Sports, but I feel like it's importance in bringing gaming to a significantly wider audience can't be overstated.
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence came out in 2006. I don't know if that counts, but if it does, I'd probably call that my GOTY, because it took an already amazing game and kicked it up to 11.

Oh yeah, MGS 3: Subsistence is definitely my pick if it counts.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017

But:

MGS3 Subsistence and Kingdom Hearts 2 did count for 2006 in the original GOTY thread, where they placed #14 and #16 respectively.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Zelda personally although I did love FFXII as well. Nothing else that year came close to those two for me

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
No. It's a boring, ugly slog of a game that loses any sense of adventure and whimsy that the Zelda series is known for. I'd say Okami deserved it.

I grew up on Wind Waker, so I don't think TP will ever sit right with me.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Company of Heroes over that entire poll, free!!!!!!

Runner ups Dead Rising and Viva Pinata aka best Rare game

As for Zelda, hell no. Not with that shallow ass gameplay.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Look at that poll, I love it. Minority base loves to crap on TP but it's easily one of the greatest games ever made, it's basically better than the GOAT OoT it just came out later so it felt derivative. Zelda TP is a masterpiece with the best dungeons in the series, some of the best variety in things to do, amazing items, lengthy quest that introduces new concepts all the time. It's a phenomenal game that is worth of a GOTY if not more.

Okami was a fantastic game too but let's be real, okami isn't better than any 3D Zelda let alone one of the best 3D zeldas. Nothing in that game holds a candle to the level design of any dungeon in TP.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Yes it did, it's an amazing game, will never understand why some Zelda fans disliked it.
Slow start, empty and ugly overworld (what was Death Mountain supposed to be? A cannonball? I still don't understand that), predictable story, bad sidequests, edgelord moments with a boring Link. Music also was a downgrade coming from Wind Waker. Dungeons are really the strongest point of the game.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Oblivions for me.

Twilight Princess is probably my second least favorite Zelda game. I'm also a little biased against it because fan outcry made us get that instead of Wind Waker 2.

Jeff Gerstmann mirrors my opinion pretty closely.

Last edited:

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I feel like BotW could learn a little from TP (& SS) in terms of dungeons and bossfights. The giant skull fight in the desert temple was great fun. Imo TP has really memorable moments. Also loved the sky temple when you got the dual hookshots.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the best games of that year aren't even on that list.
Dead Rising, Wii Sports, Medieval 2, Blood Money.

As for TP it was an "OoT standard" 3D Zelda with not much deviation or original ideas. I really couldn't give a shit about it especially compared to how original and stylish Wind Waker was.
Oblivion and Okami, for all their faults, left a more lasting impression.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Was a decent year for RPGs at least (though I didn't really like FF12)- Suikoden 5, Wild Arms 5, Valkyrie Profile 2, and probably my favorite game of the year, Mother 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Shadow of the Colossus was the most deserving game to be GotY that year, but as it's not in the poll I voted for Okami. Twilight Princess was fine but not exceptional in any way, and I don't think it was the best game released that year by a long way.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Gears was very special for me, especially at the time. The gameplay felt fresh and incredibly fun, and the presentation blew my mind - the first "truly next gen" game for me.

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
I don't care if its 2006's game of the year. For personal reasons its my favourite game of all time. Not because it was perfect. For me at least it was and is the best Zelda game. Also it will forever be the first game I played in my college dorm alongside Mario tennis. Its the only pre ps4 game I haven't sold and even though the box is a bit bruised I love it with all my heart. I wish the HD remake makes its way to the switch .

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My vehemently disagreeing with the ERA consensus is becoming a personal theme of these threads. With that, fuck no:

Metal Gear Solid Subsistence, Final Fantasy XII, or Oblivion was the best game that year. I'd probably give it to XII since MGS3 was a re-release and it's aged a little better than Oblivion in my mind.

Oct 28, 2017
TP was great and all, loved it, but I don't think it can be overstated what a fucking literal gamechanger Oblivion was at the time.

I'll never forget being at an overnight Smash Melee tourney, and seeing someone playing Oblivion for the first time. Blew my god damned mind. I still think I've put the most hours into Oblivion compared to any RPG, Bethesda or otherwise.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Twilight Princess is my least favourite 3D Zelda. I played the hell out of New Super Mario Bros, but in hindsight it wasn't that and the level design was probably a bit too simple. I was just happy to get a new 2D Mario game.

I only played Okami when it came out on Wii, but out of these it's my favourite. I've replayed it some times and it's still a great game, although I agree with the common critisism that it drags on for too long in the end.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Twilight Princess is my favorite 3D Zelda game so I'm fine with it winning. The biggest gamechanger that year was easily Wii Sports though.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess is my least favorite 3D Zelda by a pretty big margin. Still love it though. I'd probably give this to XII or Gears.