• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017

"Jump Up, Super Star!" just came up for me as background music while I was playing Smash Bros. so I decided to revisit this moment from Super Mario Odyssey that made me extremely emotional the first time I played it. I legitimately cried while I played it. Low and behold, I take a peek at the YouTube comments and I'm not alone!

Did anyone else have a similar experience? I wonder what gets everyone so emotional about this scene. I think it's a mix of just how pure and joyous this scene is + reminiscing on how far gaming has come since I started playing + being painfully aware of my own humanity and that Mario will live on longer than any of us will.

I'm tearing up just hearing it again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great reference and a very fun sequence, but no. I don't cry at stuff like that.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think video games can really make me cry, but this didn't even come remotely close to evoking that reaction. It was really cool though.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
No? What? It was neat but that's about it.

What made me cry was realizing that I had spent $60 on a game that was so bloated with filler moons that it made it difficult to find the ones that were actually interesting and challenging to obtain.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Cry, no. Emotional, yes. The Donkey Kong part is what got me. Just a really cool celebration.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's a cool scene but it's nothing that would make me cry. Kind of odd that some people reacted that way but to each their own I guess.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I was the only one who cried at stupid shit. Haven't posted Mario Odyssey but yeah, certain God of War scenes had me Misty eyed.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Not full-blown crying, but I did get quite misty-eyed.

I never thought I'd get kicked in the pants by a Mario game, but if that isn't one of the greatest moments in a video game ever.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't cried but my mind got blown away during the sequence, didn't wanted it to end. SooooooGood.gif

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
No.

I mean, I'm not gonna judge anyone for their reaction, but I can't even begin to understand how you'd get there. It wasn't really anything special.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I did tear up yeah. It was a very sweet celebratory moment with a great song to boot. It screamed FUN

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly it was my least favorite part of an already very overrated game

I'm glad people enjoyed it but it just did nothing for me

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It definitely made me reminisce the old times playing with my NES, but it didn't make me cry. Loved the level.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have absolutely no nostalgia for pre GC Nintendo aside from Pokemon, so for me it was just a fun finale to that world.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Yes I sure did I love Mario. Honestly have teared up for most of the games in the series like Sunshine, 64, Galaxy etc.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Loved that part, but what a missed opportunity not having the culmination of the level be a 3D fight against Donkey Kong.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
All of New Donk City was a lot of fun to me. I felt emotions, but not crying when I played through it.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly got emotional. I am very sentimental when it comes to things that made me happy as a kid, though. Surprised at people making fun of this kind of thing and I hope they can find happiness someday.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of tough guys in this thread.

It was a pretty great scene for someone who grew up with Nintendo and Mario. I'm 35, Nintendo has been a part of my life basically as long as I can remember. I didn't cry but I did feel some emotion.

Jan 11, 2018
No, it was definitely and exuberantly joyous moment for me. The only Mario moment that makes me tear up is reading the storybook in Galaxy, of all things.

Deleted member 33319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
No. I get crying over a character death or something that is actually emotionally compelling.
Don't get me wrong- it's a great section of the game but it really is just Donkey Kong, a catchy song, and some fireworks. I don't understand what would make someone cry outside of maybe really intense nostalgia if that's your kind of thing.