• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see game/hardware sales drastically slow down in 2020 due to XboxSeX?

• Yes

Votes: 105 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 472 69.1%
  • XboxSeX?!

Votes: 106 15.5%

• Total voters

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Both GTA5 and the Last of Us released after the PS4 and XB1 were announced and before they released. Good games will sell regardless.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sick of this generation already. I can hold out another year with FF7 remake, RE3, GoT and Last of Us plus Nintendo. But man, I'm so ready for next-gen. Jedi Fallen order runs like total butt. Plus I won't touch Cyberpunk 2077 until the inevitable next-gen port.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Hardware wise 6 years later the only thing you're looking for is a deal if you don't own the console.

Software wise the games will continue to sell especially with backwards compatibility. Been rocking the day one Xbox for some time so I'm ready to day one the series X and lose zero titles.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Not really, at least as far as Microsoft is concerned. Their platform is setup to be cross generation.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If anything this gets me more excited. The system looks sick, I can imagine how powerful it will be and I'm confident in knowing all my accessories will work, and more importantly my catalog will move over seamlessly.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm currently debating on whether to buy an X. I've got sort of a unique scenario- my X hard drive just crashed and it was going to be $226 to have MS repair it. Instead, I traded it to gamestop for $165. I still have an S, but could get $150 for it if I trade it in by Saturday.

Now I'm not sure if I should trade the S in, pay $40ish and get the X, or if I should just sit on the credit and keep my S for now.
I could see Microsoft having in a trade in deal if you trade in the X. I remember they did when the X came out.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anything this gets me more excited. The system looks sick, I can imagine how powerful it will be and I'm confident in knowing all my accessories will work, and more importantly my catalog will move over seamlessly.
And from the sounds of it you can probably still play next gen games on the current gen, they won't run as well but you can still do it. Makes my recent X purchase still a good idea.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this changes anything for current-gen. People in the know already were holding off, and everyone else thinking of buying into the generation this late probably don't care anyways.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I said yes, because it will affect them, but the Xbox One sales overall haven't been the brightest point in what MS is doing anyways, so I don't think it matters. Super powerful console incoming along with all of there amazing services and all of there new studios making games for said console is what people should take away from this.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Next year is insanely stacked like on a historical level at least in terms of developer pedigree with games releasing and we don't even know what's happening in the second half of the year for the most part. But also yes I can't wait to get a new Xbox and be wowed even by mediocre launch games.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nope.

Maybe a little for Xbox, but certainly not for the rest of the industry. Though there's at least more excitement for Next Gen with its reveal.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I don't know if it was wise to announce this before Xmas... but then again, I'm sure this was debated months in advance. Probably in Microsoft's case it was the right time.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We've known next gen is 2020 forever now. I don't think the shape of a box will mark any sort of shift.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Considering that all first party games (and I'm guessing some third party games) that are cross-games comes with cross-gen licensing there is no reason not to buy games for Xbox One now, especially since regardless of if there is a next-gen version it'll still be playable. Hardware sales were already on decline and considering a majority of holiday sales are already passed this would have very little impact on their bottom line, especially since by next Holiday season the new Xbox will be released (October?).

Here's the thing: if people hadn't bought an Xbox One by now then they most likely aren't in the market to buy the new Xbox either and will most likely wait until next gen releases to buy current gen for cheap anyway.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Until next gen is actually out, it doesn't take the wind out of the sails of this gen whatsoever. I'm not going to skip Cyberpunk, TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. just to wait for PS5.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Ghosts of Tsushima and FFVIIR look more fun than what has been revealed for the mini-tower or PS5 so far ... so I'm going to go with "no"

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Even if Sony came out and said The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima were going to be on PS5 with extra bells and whistles day one - I would still be buying them on PS4. Life is short and death is random - if I want to play a game and I can then I will. I'm not adding 9 months to a release date if I can help it. Not for bells and whistles at least.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Were gonna learn about ps5 in february so it's not like xbox revealing to months earlier is going to make that much of a difference.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sales will drop YoY as you would expect but they won't fall catastrophically, especially with how packed next year's lineup of games is. I doubt it will be markedly different than previous generations

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
When I saw the PS4 Pro ad after the Xbox Reveal and Godfall trailer I was like: "Why would anyone buy that now?"

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and of course Switch still have a large amount of exclusives coming in 2020...

But not sure why you'd buy an Xbox at this point, particularly an X, after this presentation (and Hellblade 2).

Oct 27, 2017
I waited to play the Last of Us remaster so the OP has a point (which some people haven't picked up on).

It's not simply a question if you want to play a game anymore, it's are you willing to wait to play it on much more powerful hardware.

For me, 100%. I'm not going to touch Cyberpunk with my PS4 Slim.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No and because of this reason

Everything released for Xbox SX will also be on Xbox One, so missing out on games is not a thing, sure its not the best way to play them console wise, but that will come later

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't show enough that could potentially take the wind out of any sails, at all. Like, I'm fine with a new Hellblade, but I've never been a big fan of the FIFA games or the Forza titles. I couldn't care less if they arrived on the Series X or not.

That said, I think the reveal of the X only took the wind out of its own sails. It was an underwhelming reveal. To say the least.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I think sales will be affected since the new box can play all the earlier games.

For me personally, it doesn't affect me at all. I buy and play the games I want no matter what system they are on so I will continue buying things on my Xbox One X until I get the new console next year.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I could see Microsoft having in a trade in deal if you trade in the X. I remember they did when the X came out.

Yeah, I'm banking on that. I don't see me getting more than $150 for the S, and I barely even use it as is. Plus I just realized I can trade Star Wars for $30, and it's bundled with the X. So I'll only be out of pocket roughly $5 for a new X.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm banking on that. I don't see me getting more than $150 for the S, and I barely even use it as is. Plus I just realized I can trade Star Wars for $30, and it's bundled with the X. So I'll only be out of pocket roughly $5 for a new X.
I just got an X and a new 65" Tv and man it was worth it. Went from an OG One to this was amazing. Hell if they give me $300 for the X it's worth it

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Sales were already slowing down, and most early buyers already knew consoles were coming in 2020. So I dont see the announcement affecting sales, not in any meaningful way.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Too many great games on current gen for me to play. Next gen is nice but it's still a while away for all the big games I want.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
nah, this gen still has a lot to offer and be excited for.

the only game i'd be excited for on XSX is Hellblade...if i didn't have a pc

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Console sales are gonna drop regardless. Its reached the point of saturation, there just not many more potential customers for xbox one and ps4.
In other words, sales drop is the reason for a new console, not the other way around.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i mean, didn´t they already said that the "cross gen" games will also be on the then old xbox one? why should anybody be worried, it will be a smooth transition and for the next 12month there are enough new games to play

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Game sales in 2020? Will probably be up YOY. There are just HUGE games coming out next year. Hardware Sales in the first 9 months, or so, of 2020? Will probably be down again. When new consoles launch in 2020, sales will go up. I guarantee MS and Sony will sell more consoles in November and December 2020 than they will have in November and December 2019.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I think people will definitely hold off on buying an X at this point but I'm sure the S will still sell well this holiday.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you even ask this? Of course not. Sales slow because it's the end of gen. We've literally known about XSX for 5 days. This is way too soon to ask about this

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Why would it?

They confirmed that it will support backwards compatibility of everything. No reason why buying current gen would create a loss when moving to next.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe when e32020 rolls around, then we will see the drop but I can see them all pushing some really good deals on the previous gen systems. MS pushed the SAD this year and it seems to have done well. It really won't be until a full Xbox reveal, price and launch date till it has an impact.