• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're hurting yourself by helping the competition and robbing them of the opportunity to better themselves. You're literally helping no one.
I dunno. Him not having to stay behind and redo the tests meant the risk of being jumped on the way home lessened - helped him too. That, and not seeing my friends as competition for some shitty test to please a teacher who couldn't be arsed to mark the stuff himself. Never stopped either of us getting a career. I'd say sticking up for one another did that more.

Almost like I literally helped him....

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dunno. Him not having to stay behind and redo the tests meant the risk of being jumped on the way home lessened - helped him too. That, and not seeing my friends as competition for some shitty test to please a teacher who couldn't be arsed to mark the stuff himself. Never stopped either of us getting a career. I'd say sticking up for one another did that more.

Almost like I literally helped him....
The objective was to learn though, you may have been doing it wrong.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Nope.

But I did find myself going a bit easier on my classmates when peer editing/reviewing written papers though. I often had to hold myself back from marking the entirety of their work because I didn't want to be known as "that foreign looking kid who thinks she knows English better than us". :( As someone who's had to learn how to write and speak in English, it's kind of hard not to be hyperaware of certain facets of the language lol. Nowadays I don't give a shit.

Never. Also, one of my daughters is a teacher aide for one of her credits and she grades a lot of papers for the teacher. She's been threatened by some of the students because "she failed" them.
That's fucked up! Not her fault they suck. :P I was also a teacher's aide in high school for Freshman English and AP Lit, so I've graded my fair share of papers. Some kids are really just that dumb. I remember grading papers where some students just straight up plagiarized from SparkNotes, like word for word; they didn't even bother to paraphrase. I probably wouldn't have caught it had the flow of the rest of their essay actually matched the shit they plagiarized from lmao.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've hand a few teachers do things this way. I'd help out if it was the diff between passing or failing.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I probably should have caught on sooner, but it wasn't an all the time thing. The teacher would make us pass the papers all over the room and only their little group would correct wrong or change right answers for others. I would be too embarrassed to show my parents. But they eventually caught on when my grades started getting bad while anything graded by my teacher and out of school tutors always graded much higher. They started wanting to see all my work and noticed the giant black marks covering up my answers. They talked to the teacher and it happened much less. I caught one girl doing it a couple other times.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
The teacher had the class pass papers to someone else to grade. Did you ever sneakily change incorrect answers?
You mean change it and then give them credit for getting it right? No, that's silly to me. If I had time, I'd write down the correct answer for their future reference though. They still wouldn't get credit for having the correct answer on their page though.

I graded a lot of papers as a TA later and still never changed people's answers. It's just asking for trouble.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I don't THINK I did. lol. I'm like 90% sure :)

If I did, it was probably just once.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm... thinking on this now. I'm wondering if the teacher would even check over the graded answers. Like would you even need to change the answer, just mark it correct. Teachers are trying to lighten their workload; they don't have time to go back and regrade those papers.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I only had this opportunity in the tutoring class on the weekends.

Did it once and decided not to do it again after that because I realized I was just playing myself.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I would write the correct answer next to it but I'd still take off points. The point of school is learning (or SHOULD be), letting them know the right answer will let them, you know, be able to get it right on more important tests. But just changing it would be, frankly, both cheating and wouldn't help them learn.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I would write the correct answer next to it but I'd still take off points. The point of school is learning (or SHOULD be), letting them know the right answer will let them, you know, be able to get it right on more important tests. But just changing it would be, frankly, both cheating and wouldn't help them learn.

Whenever I did it (pre-college) I'd not take off points but afterwards I'd let them know what was wrong. Agree with your points though totally, which is why I never did it in college, although I don't think anything we'd switch to grade in college was anything that was actually being scored anyways.