• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
My school sucked , I believe the current school system is pointless and they need to heavily restructured it (though I know that will never happen) but I've always felt like I learned more watching TV, reading than ever being in a classroom. Most of the teachers in my high school were cool people but the teaching was boring and some of them never seem very enthused in teaching their subjects in a fun/interesting way, which really hurts the class morale (or own morale).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
c842247fa3a51517a1f9930d85df6d17d62568cdba90999ce806ca79b31d6378_1.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Absolutely.
Basic math, basic biology, basic physics..
History and geopolitics
Not to count stuff like proper grammar and literary interpretation.

You need those basis to do everything that jimmy demands in the image meme, let alone not to fall for conspiracy theories and fake news

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Yeah. I would have never had the aptitude to learn math on my own. Also getting my writing critiqued was helpful.

The biggest things I learned though were 1. Photoshop + InDesign in my digital art and yearbook classes respectively as I have been using those for the past decade and 2. Cooking where I actually learned how to cook for myself and be pretty decent at it. I see these motherfuckers online who can't even boil water and I'm like jesus.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Absolutely.
History and geopolitics

You need those basis to do everything that jimmy demands in the image meme, let alone not to fall for conspiracy theories and fake news
Damn I wish I went to that kind of schools, schools here suck.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.
History and geopolitics

Yea, it's fun to think we didn't learn anything in school, but I doubt that's true for most people.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As someone who's played Runescape since 2007, I was learning more things playing Runescape than I realized. You wouldn't think that but doing stuff like Smithing, Fishing, Woodcutting, Farming and so on teaches you way more than you'd think. Shoutout to Runescape one time.

run-escape.gif

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I learned to make friends and how to navigate different social circles.
Pretty invaluable for my entire life, tbh.

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
As someone who's played Runescape since 2007, I was learning more things playing Runescape than I realized. You wouldn't think that but doing stuff like Smithing, Fishing, Woodcutting, Farming and so on teaches you way more than you'd think. Shoutout to Runescape one time.

run-escape.gif
they should just make a wing of every public/school library for Runescape thats the only reason kinds would go into a library.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading, writing, basic math, history, geography, different languages (including the one I am using every day as an expat)...
Yeah, quite a bit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, loads.

Also, I woke up this morning with

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori

Stuck in my head, which is from a poem I had to read in English... 14 years ago? Not important or relevant, but where else can I mention that lol.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
My schools were pretty bad. It was a poor district so facilities and resources were very limited. Still, I had some good teachers over the years that helped me out

English, math (I stopped after trig) and chemistry,

You were SOL if you wanted to learn about history. They taught that the civil war was about states rights, that kind of bullshit. If I hadn't had smart parents I would have just been stupid

There was no internet back then, you got what you got

e: I learned to survive bullying, I guess, but turns out I haven't needed that skill anywhere but school

kamakazi5

Oct 28, 2017
I learned most of the basics that most people take for granted. You can get a terrible education and still learn quite a lot. Obviously, bring able to afford better education makes a huge difference. I learned much more in what feels like my endless college years but, honestly, being a naturally curious person has taught me a ton on its own.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.
History and geopolitics

Yup.

We all learned a base for critical thinking skills. I don't get anyone who thinks they never learned anything.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
There was a really good article, I don't remember where, but it was just about how business leaders just wanted schools to teach "practical skills" so they basically didn't have to train people as much and then kids got less schooling in the arts, philosophy, critical thinking etc. while convincing them this was a good thing because it's junk they'll use.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I went to shitty underfunded conservative Christian private schools up until college. I still impressed every college teacher with my writing. I learned a few things for sure. I'm not saying I wouldn't have been better served overall by a public education, but some elements worked.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I guess schools are different here and some people have better school districts , I think I learned more from my father (the douche that he was) than going to school (also had a lot of bad teachers), so I guess I was not as fortunate.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Reading, Math, various science concepts, first toes into programming which became my field.

Ya, it worked out for me. I went to a pretty decent district, and tended to keep clean.

Jeenaud

Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The problem with schools is not that they don't teach you anything, it's that they're terribly inefficient and therefore a colossal waste of time.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I learned most of my algebra and pre-calculus from my high school math teacher, which I used extensively in my engineering undergrad.

My education was pretty mediocre apart from that.

K-12 education in Puerto Rico just... it ain't that good. And our standardized testing results show it.

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Yeah. I went to a pretty good school district. Math, reading, history, language, art, and various sciences. I hated school, had a couple awful teachers that come to mind, but will admit that a lot of it was still invaluable though could still be improved.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I feel pretty bad for teachers when "lmao school sux amirite" subjects come up (not that I think that's strictly what you're going for, OP), given how thankless the profession already is without people basically saying "your suffering is for nothing and your labor was useless to me."

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I feel pretty bad for teachers when "lmao school sux amirite" subjects come up (not that I think that's strictly what you're going for, OP), given how thankless the profession already is without people basically saying "your suffering is for nothing and your labor was useless to me."
Oh I understand how shitty most teachers have it (I am a former teacher myself) but some of them are bad just because , trust me.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Oh, I know, it would be outrageous of me to argue that there aren't incredibly terrible teachers out there, that's for sure.
Some of my HS teachers were the "insults you for getting something wrong in front of the class" type of people who would give you vague advice when you asked them for help, little chance of learning anything in that environment.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Math and Programming are the big things.

Some French, bounjour hon hon hon.

There's probably a lot more stuff that if you mentioned I would remember.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
Public education is very focused on drilling particular, objectively-measurable skills. These are often very valuable -- basic literacy and numeracy are obviously hugely important. If you pay attention through high school you come out with a better grasp of politics, history, various sciences, and literary analysis than 90% of the population. You can be quite successful without any of this stuff, of course, so it depends what you mean by "important". A lot of people feel that schools don't do much to teach "critical thinking", "how to think", etc. And that's probably right. But it's worth considering that this is very hard stuff to teach, and often has prerequisites.

Like, it's very hard to teach someone to think about history without first teaching them a lot of history. You could instead just teach your conclusions, but that's not actually going to teach people to think for themselves and is often going to just be propaganda. There's a ton of annoying prep work that you have to do before you're remotely ready to start drawing interesting conclusions from the facts, because you need ready access to all the facts. If you want to have anything interesting to say about biology you've got to cut open a lot of frogs.

But it's also just hard to teach critical thinking full stop. Science classes, even with labs, are really bad at teaching kids to do science. A lab session is still generally a guided tour of an experiment that leaves very little room for theorizing and hypothesizing and really experimenting. But think about what you'd have to do to actually give students this. If a teacher is supposed to handle 20 students at a time you really just can't do it. There's a reason why we find that schools matter a lot less than parental involvement at the top end.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
I went to a shit school with loads of bad teachers and I was consistently miserable and resisted participating. But I still learned so much. It feels useless in the moment, but it's amazing how much of it really stuck with me.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Where it comes to reading and writing, I absolutely learned a lot. That stuff has stuck with me, and it's the kind of thing I put to use almost every day.

Most other subjects, not so much. I was always terrible at maths and science, and most of that stuff had left my head a week after I learned it.

Everyone always made fun of the kids in the home economics classes, but what they learned would've been infinitely more useful to me than half of what I was taught.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Education is a privilege. My parents dropped out of school at an early age to help support their parents. My father in particular still loved learning, but he never had the time.

Learning to think critically is a pretty big thing. I got all that from school. I feel like recent events in America have shown it's not a skill that everyone has or are fortunate enough to learn.

Last edited: