• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You probably know about the OG Powerpuff Girls cartoon. You probably also know about the recent Cartoon Network reboot that got cancelled with how awful and out of place it was despite reusing the same artstyle.

But did you know about Powerpuff Girls Z (or Zeta in glorious french speaking countries) ? It aired while I moved to other cartoons as a kid but I distinctively remember it because of how different it was. If you're in the US you probably don't know since it never aired there AFAIK. I realized that while talking cartoons with an US friend and how weird the convo went when I mentionned this.

It's basically a magical girl version of the cartoon. anime. It was super popular in Europe but man it's so funny looking at a japanese adaptation of an US show. They're even eating ramen despite that everything still takes place in an american-inspired city!

what does this revelation (if it's even one) inspires you, era
tumblr_njfs52XyTi1t0fp6po1_r1_540.png

MV5BY2EzNzJjNjgtM2FlZS00YjdhLThlY2UtMjM5MTgzYjFiNmUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg1OTk5OTE@._V1_.jpg

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I learned about that a while ago but my reaction was basically: "Powerpuff Girls got an anime spin-off? Yeah that sounds about right".

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Never watched it, I think, but I knew about it.

This made me look up the name of a project that I had thought was official until now, but wasn't: "Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi."

It was a Cartoon Network cross-over kinda deal with a similar style. I think I had played a flash game of it on Newgrounds or something.

ca95e5ec82493fb370f2f35b8bd4d7f39d958305_hq.jpg

Similarly, there's the official FusionFall Legacy with artwork in this vein.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a long time ago I was curious about it but had no way to watch it or where to even find it.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
I know this show ended up getting a dub, but it's not the dub Craig McCracken wanted to do. I remember saying he wanted to do a dub with the original cast but give it a Samurai Pizza Cat dub kind of treatment.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This made me look up the name of a project that I had thought was official until now, but wasn't: "Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi."

It was a Cartoon Network cross-over kinda deal with a similar style. I think I had played a flash game of it on Newgrounds or something.

Wait

Why are there Nickelodeon characters in here lol

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was a bit popular here in Mexico, but the original series was more liked. Still it was nice the series feature almost the same voice cast.

It's basically a magical girl version of the cartoon. anime. It was super popular in Europe but man it's so funny looking at a japanese adaptation of an US show. They're even eating ramen despite that everything still takes place in an american-inspired city!

Wait, reverse Phoenix situation? lmao

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017

Dude. That's not fusion falls. That's Fan art by Bleedman. Please don't post that pedophilic shit here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh god, I remember this. Was done on DeviantArt by some dude named Bleedman (lol). Used to be a huge fan of it when I was like 13. The two pages every month killed me.

Wait

Why are there Nickelodeon characters in here lol
It's more of a giant cartoon crossover rather than just Cartoon Network. Though only Dexter, Powerpuff girls, and Samurai Jack ever played a role in the story, if I recall correctly.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dude. That's not fusion falls. That's Fan art by Bleedman. Please don't post that pedophilic shit here.
Wait, what? I didn't say that the above was FusionFalls (I said that there is that as well), but I don't know about any pedophilic anything. That art I posted seems innocent enough.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? I didn't say that the above was FusionFalls (I said that there is that as well), but I don't know about any pedophilic anything. That art I posted seems innocent enough.

That's how a Bleedman comic gets you. Nice art and simi-clever story. Then you notice the gratuitous panty shots on underaged characters and you NOPE the fuck out by page 4

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, to me it still feels like this was "yesterday", i do realize it's been a decade or so since this.

Really loved the first OP and ED for this show.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I remember seeing some kind of merch for it at like Wal-Mart when it came out but I thought it was some kind of parody merch and not an actual show. I didn't find out it was actually real until years later.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some of these are Nickelodeon characters. Gir, Gaz, Helga Zim, Dib, Dora, and Jimmy Neutron

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
That's how a Bleedman comic gets you. Nice art and simi-clever story. Then you notice the gratuitous panty shots on underaged characters and you NOPE the fuck out by page 4

So much of Bleedman's problematic shit would at least be mitigated if he actually made all of the characters teenagers like he clearly designs them as. Yeah they'd still be underage but at least it'd be slightly better than sexualizing children in literal elementary school. Even PPGZ had enough sense to make the girls preteen.

Not that it entirely matters anyway - he fell off on his own when he gave up the crossover angle in favor of his own angsty melodrama.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure no one got the mixed demographic appeal of The Powerpuff Girls starting from the final season of the original series. The marketing never did. The original was never really a little girl's show despite the aesthetic, and constantly had references to things like Dragonball, Star Trek, The Beatles, Faust, Godzilla, Mazinger Z, and tons of other stuff that could easily go over kids' heads. Never watched Powerpuff Girls Z, but from what I hear it's again something that misses that and goes very much into the standard magical girl anime territory.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019

Wow it's been a long time since I followed this one. This is the one where grown up Mandy bangs Grim right? Oh yeah there are the kids on the bottom left: the kid with the black robe and scythe and the kid with the bow and dress.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh, I remember marking out over the Bleedman comics. I just thought it was a cool idea with a lot of neat crossover nods, including my personal favorite of Samurai Jack being the gym teacher.

Then I learned about the artist's...tastes, followed by the increasing angst including shit like Mandy causing 9/11 (yep) and...yeah.

It's always such a waste considering how good his art was.

PPGZ was also a wasted concept: I was hoping for the anime equivalent of the show, with crazy animation along the lines of Trigger. Instead we got a show aping Magical Girl shows and doing it so blandly that I'm pretty sure even Japan hated it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's been a long time since I followed this one. This is the one where grown up Mandy bangs Grim right? Oh yeah there are the kids on the bottom left: the kid with the black robe and scythe and the kid with the bow and dress.

They're not the same comic, he actually stopped doing this one and started doing the one where Mandy Banged Grim (and also, Mandy orchestrated nine eleven to impress Grim), it was dumb and edgy and not worth for me, he should have stuck to this one that was just a dumb fun crossover instead of trying to do a "serious" story with his OCs Donut Steal.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I love these comics (and Grim Jr). It killed me when I found out this has been going on since 2004 with like 1 chapter a month.

It's one hell of a binge tho.

And with the Powerpuff Girl Z I knew about it about a year or two since it came out because I saw an image of the Rowdyruff Boys episode with them peeing on people and was curious if the rest of the show was crazy like that. (It isnt).

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I remember getting excited expecting a DBZ-like adaptation. That fucking Z was such a tease. Sigh.

And yeah, I also used to read the Doujishin when I was young. As you get older, however, it gets creepier.

It does make me think what CN doesn't capitalize it's IPs more in crossovers events. Why the fuck Dexter and PPG crossover special wasn'tt a thing should be the riddle for the ages.

P.S: the hate the reboot got was stupid. Yeah, the first season was rough, but the show improved later. Most of all, it's not focused on people from our generation. I wish people just got over it instead of whinning over it.

BenRoderick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yes, it was a thing.
I remember watching when I was 8 and it was on Boomerang in my country Australia about November I think and since then, I was loving the show until a few years ago, I rediscover watching the subtitled version of Powerpuff Girls Z which it is uncut and the English version was supposed to be the Cartoon Network version of a 4Kids dub and it is quite a mediocre kids' anime. I don't think it would be recommended to watch, but give it a try of course.
By the way, I prefer the Japanese version than the English version because the English version of Powerpuff Girls Z does not have a based-on-the-source-material dub like in the English version, Momoko, Miyako and Kaoru are named Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup even if they're not transformed because I think the English version was supposed to be the 1998 original.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Its decent enough, if not completely missing the mark in what made the original universally loved. Doctor Utonium and his son being stand ins for Astro Boy and Dr Tenma in their designs is hilarious though, and it does fit the shout out nature of the original show however. Also Mojo is fucking HUGE conpared to the OG Mojo.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying to watch it many years ago and getting super bored. I thought the idea of reinventing this American cartoon as anime was cool...but the execution was lackluster.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'd forgotten that this was a thing. Still probably better than the later seasons and the reboot.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah, I watched it. it's alright. The only episode that made an impression is a nice episode with Bubbles and a Werewolf kid.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was ok. The designs of the girls are great.

It was a clever concept with bland execution. Still better than the reboot.