• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Credit goes to my bud Donnie for this. Anyone familiar with the Chao Garden remembers the doctor where you get your stats checked, but you always had the option of getting a check up which to most was worthless. Turns out it had a purpose after all!

Amazing that Sega went into the trouble of making two unique pill models and different little animations when so few players would ever see them. Incredible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there was a Chao doctor at all. Was that part cut out of SA2 Battle?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know there was a Chao doctor at all. Was that part cut out of SA2 Battle?
Nope, if you go to the Kindergarden area, it's in the mid-section in the hall in both versions. Most only go to it to get that Chao's stat ranks checked (important obviously if you want to do Chao Races and Karate).

In fact I believe in the DC original, you had to do this to even SEE your stats period as they only added that stat "pop-up" when picking up Chao in the GC version IIRC.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
πŸ‘ BRING πŸ‘ BACK πŸ‘ THE πŸ‘ CHAO πŸ‘ GARDEN πŸ‘
It's so weird to me that this is such a beloved feature within a fan favorite game and they just... don't go back to it, ever.
At this point I'm convinced the only way we're seeing Chao Garden again is if they bring in some fans to make a "Sonic Adventure Mania" or whatever.

Side Note: Anyone wishing there was a new Chao Garden, the closest you can get is adding in some extensive mods to expand it into SA2B. If you haven't looked into any SA2B mods, it's worth checking them out.

Maximum Spider

β–² Legend β–²
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's so weird to me that this is such a beloved feature within a fan favorite game and they just... don't go back to it, ever.
At this point I'm convinced the only way we're seeing Chao Garden again is if they bring in some fans to make a "Sonic Adventure Mania" or whatever.

Side Note: Anyone wishing there was a new Chao Garden, the closest you can get is adding in some extensive mods to expand it into SA2B. If you haven't looked into any SA2B mods, it's worth checking them out.
I'm suprised they haven't even released a mobile app with a ton of in-app purchases.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
they put more effort into these chao gardens than the damn mech shooting stages

if they ever bring back the Chao Garden it'll be so watered down, there's no way it'll be as good as it was in SA2

although Sachiko Kawamura created the chao garden and she's the producer for Sonic Frontiers so maybe it might be alright πŸ€”

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Fucking facts. Shit, I'd take a game that is literally just the Chao Garden with new features and shit like that over nothing. Hell, even give me a fucking remaster of just this iteration of the Chao Garden if you have to. It is beyond me that Sega has never tried to bring back the Chao Garden during this modern generation when it was loved by so many people.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the doctor but don't remember if my Chaos ever got sick. I probably gave them several concussions though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The fact Sega never brought back the Chao Garden or spun it off into it's own thing continues to blow my mind. It's absolutely ripe for a microtransaction laden f2p mobile game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2 is one of the games I want to try out first when I get a Deck. It was my first Gamecube game and I LOVED the Chao garden.

Not sure I ever 100%'d it, leveling up the stats took soooo long, so I don't think I ever made it through all the karate and race challenges. I did unlock the Halloween area (and I think there was a third area like Heaven?).

I don't even remember if I used a guide, I feel like I just pumped whatever stats into them I needed for them at the time and would just randomly see what they evolved into.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
QuΓ©bec
Oh no, they look so distressed! I spent some much time playing with the Chao Garden! Even uses the GBA link to continue portably! (Both with and without Sonic Advance cartridge)

Damn Chao garden was great.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of life's biggest mysteries is why Sega didn't transition Chao Garden to being its premiere GAAS title. It all seemed there, even back in the GC days.

People would've loved raising these little suckers throughout the years and the dollars would've rolled in by the truckload.

Except Professor Beef, that is.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah I knew that. I played Chao garden so much, lol. Kinda sad the state of sonic games these days suck.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely had a Chao get sick at some point. Most of my time in the Sonic Adventure games was playing with Chao.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep, I've had several Chao get sick in SA2 through the years.
I've also only played one Pokemon game (Shield) and caught maybe 2 or 3 shines.

I miss the Chao garden.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018

Idk why they refuse to do this. Chaos are so cute - why doesn't Sega add them back into the Sonic games and sell an insane amount of merch with them??

Weren't there some rumors that there might be hopes for the chao garden in Sonic Frontiers? Some whispers about someone heavily involved in the chao garden in Sonic Adventure Battle 2 working on the new game? Maybe I'm imagining things though....

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Huh...I have seen my Chaos do all of those animations, but I never knew it was them being sick. That's fucking crazy.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking facts. Shit, I'd take a game that is literally just the Chao Garden with new features and shit like that over nothing. Hell, even give me a fucking remaster of just this iteration of the Chao Garden if you have to. It is beyond me that Sega has never tried to bring back the Chao Garden during this modern generation when it was loved by so many people.
Sega would probably make a gacha out of it.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Both my cousin's and my Chao must have gotten sick and died. I had no idea it was luck based, and never actually took it to the doctor.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraβ„’ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
One of life's biggest mysteries is why Sega didn't transition Chao Garden to being its premiere GAAS title. It all seemed there, even back in the GC days.

People would've loved raising these little suckers throughout the years and the dollars would've rolled in by the truckload.

Except Professor Beef, that is.
eggman-robotnik-gets-into-chao-garden-kicking-chaos-13960436970.gif

this is all they deserve

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Cybershell dude (controversial I guess??) did an in-depth video on Chao and I don't think he even mentioned this.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
πŸ‘
BRING
πŸ‘
BACK
πŸ‘
THE
πŸ‘
CHAO
πŸ‘
GARDEN
πŸ‘
And, subsequently, kill Sonic.

That Cybershell dude (controversial I guess??) did an in-depth video on Chao and I don't think he even mentioned this.
As far as I know, he's mostly just a relic of older, "ironic" bad taste internet humor. Not as much as before, but his original highly praised Sonic the Hedgehog Let's Plays rated every Badnik on the "cunt-o-meter", so that's the level he's working from.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've seen that coughing animation before, but I didn't realize being sick was a thing and never tried to take it to the doctor.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I have been playing SA2 for the first time now and I just can't understand how Sonic Heroes didn't have any version of the Chao Garden. Knowing that that the rings I collect and enemies I defeat can be useful for the garden makes me want to replay levels to get better ranks.
It would have been perfect in a game like Heroes that asks you to play the campaign 4 times with minor differences to have a justification like that.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I only learned about this a couple of years ago, blew my mind the Chao Doctor actually had a purpose when he would say that your chao looks healthy. It always seemed odd to me, like why say that if they're always healthy? Needless to say, in my many, MANY hours of playing SA2 across several platforms, I have never actually had a chao get sick.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One of the main issues with modern Sonic as a franchise is they never let an idea grow and iterate. They try to do something new with each new entry instead of building off what came before. BOOST gameplay is one of the only things that have made it through several entries.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
One of the main issues with modern Sonic as a franchise is they never let an idea grow and iterate. They try to do something new with each new entry instead of building off what came before. BOOST gameplay is one of the only things that have made it through several entries.
I think this problem is somewhat true but also kinda overstated, at least in terms of the main series Sonic Team titles. What is true is that starting with Heroes they like to do gimmicks. So there are absolutely game specific gameplay elements that never get carried over. But at the same time I feel like..
Adventure - Adventure 2 - Heroes - Shadow - Sonic 06
Unleashed - Colors - Generations - Forces
are two strings of games that absolutely were iterating and letting ideas grow.
Lost World is the only real odd one out here though even that was iterating on the wisps from Colors.