• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending?

• I liked the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 1,410 59.2%
  • I did not like the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 651 27.3%
  • I liked the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 238 10.0%
  • I did not like the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 84 3.5%

• Total voters

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This may be jumping the gun a tad considering how long the game has been out, but I'm already really curious cause I've seen people say "most people did not like the ending" and "most people did like the ending". So time for the simple way to learn, a poll. I'm also curious about the reception to it from those who are new cause it could be incredibly confusing for them.

This thread has no need to step on the spoiler thread's territory but it's more about the reception to the ending but obviously people will talk about it in here.

I'm on the side of loving it.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
It's very unexpected and it got me extremely hyped for what may or may not come next...

(I just finished the game an hour ago.)
And yes, I played the original.

I agree that they could have done it better, and try to explain what was really going on behind all the spectacle.
I was very confused and annoyed at first, because I didn't understand the real meaning of some of the new additions to the plot; however, after a while, I started to understand what all of that really meant, and that's when it clicked for me, and it clicked hard.

It's a VERY bold move by Square. I will say that.
So yes, I loved it.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hated it and I played the original. Mind you, I don't hate it for being different, I hate it for being a mess of basically deus ex machina after deus ex machina.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was confused by it, it was definitely unexpected. But I didn't hate it, no.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved it.
I still have my OG ff7 i got for christmas 1997 when i was 11.

But i love subversive meta stuff. I think it's far more interesting than a remake.

Aug 1, 2018
Yes, I loved the ending because instead of simply waiting for the next addition to drop , I'm also speculating whether or not they're changing the story up and I hyped beyond imagine at the possibilities

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I finished the game yesterday and I liked it and I am really curious to where the sequels are going

Also I wonder how you top that crazy amazing fight with Sephiroth. I felt playing the only good part of Advent Children

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hoped there was a neutral option. The ending left things to be desired, but at the same time, made things excited. I dont really have anything to say about the ending.

Also kinda hard to compare it to the OG ending since the OG game had a complete story with ending. There will be other parts to this story, so this game's ending is not complete in a sense.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I thought the execution was sloppy but the thematics were well constructed and I understood 100% that they were saying and doing, so I was totally fine with it.

The final section of the game was the least well designed section out of them all, but I took no issue with what it was trying to do.

I've played the original as well and really like it.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I liked it. I didn't enjoy the over the top Advent Children vibe of the final Sephiroth encounter, and the Whispers literally just started looking like the Heartless in the penultimate fight, but the actual ending with the possibility of this being some divergent timeline is interesting.

I don't think Square will alter the overall storyline much, but I do expect them to use this as an opportunity to keep fans of the original game on their toes with future installments. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it but think it could have been executed much better. I ultimately think it'll all slot into place by the time the other parts come out and explain things, I don't think it's going to be nearly as ridiculous as some theorize.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More and more I got myself thinking about the ending. It really grew on me.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
If it were a 1:1 Remake, the big discussion for Part 2 would be "So what will be the stopping point for Part 2?"

Instead the big discussion is "What's going to happen next?" There's going to be so much speculation and debate over the direction this Remake is going now. That to me is more interesting. But I get why some people aren't happy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is peak Nomura bullshit. I hated it but I can;t say I'm not excited to see the trainwreck that will be the sequels.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't hate it? But I can't say I'm too thrilled by it either.

Modern Square-enix is not to be trusted and almost anything that was entirely new in this game made that clear. Roche being the prime example for me.

So it doesn't fill me with confidence that when you take away the confines of the original story that they won't absolutely balls it up within minutes.

Only another 3/4 years to find out I guess :P

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing ending. I've played the original game probably 20 times from start to finish on six different platforms. I am very excited to see where they take things.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
I like what the ending sets up, but it's highly dependant on how the next parts are gonna play it. I can easily see it becoming emblematic of everything good and/or bad about this remake project, depending on how they use it going forward.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the ending largely because I was more attached to other elements of the original like the music, worldbuilding, and characters instead of the plot. All of those things were done fantastically in the remake and now in addition I get to enjoy them in a narrative that I don't already know. Despite the fact that it might spiral into Kingdom Hearts wank at some point, right now it's the best outcome I could've gotten with the remake.
Also I wonder how you top that crazy amazing fight with Sephiroth. I felt playing the only good part of Advent Children
I wonder this too because goddamn that fight was amazing and the sort of thing you'd expect at the end of a trilogy, not the first game lol.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm ambivalent, neither liked or disliked it. It mostly depends on how these next episode's or whatever they are called go.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I wish they hadn't done it first and foremost, but it depends what this results in to say if I truly "hate" it. Since there is just a binary option I'd say I dislike it more than I like it, so I voted for that.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why but I really love the game's last line

"I miss it. The steel sky."

The delivery of this line is also good.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
The ending was a bit extra on par with Nomura games in general but overall it was fine. I'm pretty excited to see where they go next with this.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I did not like because it gives Nomura way too much freedom to go crazy and nothing good ever came out of this

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
From day one, I was on board and even wanted them to do something really different with the game, so I enjoyed it a lot. I'm in this thing until the end with seeing how it all plays out.

The original is a top 3 game for me, and I can always go back to that with no issues. The game has never felt dated, ugly, or anything of the sort to me, so it doesn't bother me that this new project isn't a 1:1 remake. It's a lot more interesting this way. Of course, it can end up being a terrible mess, but I'm all in on taking the risk.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Never played the og and I absolutely adored the ending of the game. Hella pumped for the next game. It also gave me all the motivations I was lacking to take a look at the original game.
Which I am already doing.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like it. It's got no artistic substance. It's development team creating a convoluted excuse to tell a different story and that story has nothing to say.

Edit: It seems to exist to get people discussing what the surface level plot of future games will be instead of having to say anything about the human experience or society like the original (and most the remake) did.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
It is the most bold ending sequence to a video game that I've seen I think. I can't even be mad at it, the balls on Square are enormous to pull something like this LOL. Imagine stealth releasing a sequel and calling it a remake. Square Enix is hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
to the people who loved it, I hope you're happy when the next games become as bad as 15. The ending was basically an open to just do their own thing moving forward and we know how modern SE is when they do their own thing.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Currently dislike it as it seemingly reduces the impact of multiple characters and cheapens the idea of death itself making it less impactful and kind of makes the story of Ff7 in general less grounded and less interesting.

It could be handled well later, so I'll reserve ultimate judgment on it, but I'm not a fan atm.

Note: I do like them making the remake series a sort of sequel to the original and going their own way. I just didn't like them bringing everyone back that had died previously.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I adore the original but loved this ending even if it did go full over the top Advent Children.

Makes me wonder what excuse they will have for starting you off with no gear at the start of part 2. Yuffie perhaps?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I guess on the scale of like or don't like I have to say I liked the ending, though my feelings are more complicated then that. I'm curious and optimistic as to where they're planning to take this remake, though I am concerned that SE could really bungle this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the ending, and I've played through the original game before.

A remake that was 100% faithful to the original game's story would have been fine, but I'm always a fan of retellings that decide to take things in a different direction instead. We already have the original game, and its story has been known for literally two decades now. Whether this series ends up being good or bad, they're trying to do something different with this than one would expect, and I will never not give them props for that, especially considering they knew from the start that it would piss some people off. (Shit, it's right there in the original trailer: "The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings, for they are coming back.")

Personally, I'm excited to see where the story goes from here. That ending was crazy as hell and leaves room for some potentially really, really interesting changes in the next game.

to the people who loved it, I hope you're happy when the next games become as bad as 15. The ending was basically an open to just do their own thing moving forward and we know how modern SE is when they do their own thing.
FFXV is one of my favorite FF games, if not my favorite one, so I'm all for this. *shrug*

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the original and enjoyed it for the most part. I think it went a little too far with trying to be dramatic and epic but I like what it sets up for the future. There is certainly potential for the writing team to fuck it up but I appreciate them going for the gusto.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Super interested to see the results here. There's a lot of vocal critics in the spoiler thread, I'd like to see if this is reflected in the forum as a whole.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really didn't like it. It's got no artistic substance. It's development team creating a convoluted excuse to tell a different story and that story has nothing to say.
I think it's premature to say the story will have nothing to say until the sequels release. They created a convoluted excuse So they can have something different to say. What that is, no one knows right now.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It is the most bold ending sequence to a video game that I've seen I think. I can't even be mad at it, the balls on Square are enormous to pull something like this LOL. Imagine stealth releasing a sequel and calling it a remake. Square Enix is hilarious.

It's the most I've been swerved since MGS2, and I loved every second of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Didn't really like it, played the original.

I think I fall into "execution moreso than ideas" on my issues with it. Ultimately, the rest of the game was an update and reimagining of the original in exactly the vein I was looking for.

When they said they wanted to keep things fresh and find ways to surprise long time fans, I felt they were hitting those marks perfectly! Using weird mobs as plot beats never failed to make me smile and the arbiters were an intriguing edition that, until the very last sequence, didn't feel intrusive.

But that ending was indulgent. There was no need for that final fight. It feels like yet another IP that desperately wants to feel smarter than its' fans. Why? Why go 95% of the way with a solid remake only to drop that bomb at the end? I think I would have been more receptive to it if it had been clearly established as a weird new take from the jump. The foreshadowing wasn't enough for me.