• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultra Beasts?

• Hell yeah, and I hope we see more in new generations!

Votes: 161 30.2%
  • They were cool, but I don't care much if we don't see them again.

Votes: 140 26.3%
  • I didn't really care for them.

Votes: 143 26.8%
  • I hate them, they look like Digimon.

Votes: 89 16.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Introduced in the 7th generation, the Ultra Beasts were a set of extra dimensional Pokemon that were important to the plot of Sun and Moon (and ironically are pushed to the side in Ultra Sun and Moon).

At the time of their introduction, these Pokemon were somewhat controversial. Why? They look weird. Really weird. Their designs do not match up with the designs of existing Pokemon, giving them a very otherworldly feel, which was the obvious intention, given they hail from other worlds. That aside, many people didn't care for them anyway, many of them defaulting to the digimon argument.
Personally, I fucking love them. They are delightfully weird, and I love their backstory. I really hope to see more in future generations.

Sun_Moon_Ultra_Beasts_artwork.png

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
UBs have some cool designs like Zurkitree but they made Alola feel like there were tons of legendaries to catch again

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
They're a good way to introduce really weird designs; Nihilego, Kartana, and Blacephalon are my favorites.
Also, the lead up to these guys and classifying them as UB-# was really neat.
If they ever come back, I hope more UB evolutionary families are included. Not the biggest fan of Poipole and its evo.
(I do like James Turner's explanation that Poipole would be a starter in another dimension.)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Love em.

They're bizarre monstrosities that are intentionally designed not to look like Pokemon in the greatest way possible

Buzzwole could easily pass for being a Stand and its just the best.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
They were hands down the best thing about S&M and them not being brought back for SWSH is one of this generation's many disappointments.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I fell pretty in love with them, I wanted to learn more about them but of course SM only gave us breadcrumbs.

I would love to see them get expanded upon but I seriously doubt it would ever happen at this point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I want a 'hate them' option that doesn't randomly slander Digimon.

It's not the designs I hate though (some of them look pretty cool and have a surprising amount of personality in their animations), just everything else.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Do they count as legendaries? If so they're pretty much the only legendaries in the entire franchise I really liked, I feel sad at the amount of hate they got. The designs are so weird and unique, love em. Felt really fresh

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I know it's not one, but my headcanon is that Eternautus is an Ultra Beast, and I will stick with it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play these games so I don't know how they fit into the story, but they're some of the best designs in the series.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I love them but they're pretty much legendary Pokemon and Gen 7 had way too many single stage Pokemon as it was. Buzzswole is an all time great design. SSS+ tier in fact.

I would be down for more Ultra Beasts but please give them multiple evolutionary stages and maybe regular stats. Their other worldly look is what makes them great, not being legendary.

Last edited:

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm not crazy about some of the designs but overall I love the idea of a new category of Legendary Pokemon with their own world, lore, abilities etc.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
they are pretty are pretty cool, the UBs were a cool way to make such different designs

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
remember when people thought that Lillie and her other family members were ultra beasts in disguise?
good times

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Shit was awesome. The whole alternate worlds idea that started in a simple out of the way side quest in gen 5 culminated in them in gen 7 and I loved it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Loved them, but I generally always love when the Pokemon company does something exotic with their formula and universe. Alolan forms was the best thing that gen brought, though Ultra Beasts were a close second if only for how interesting and mystical it all felt.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Seems legit. When I first saw Eternautus, the concept of Ultra Beasts immediately popped into my head.
The Pokedex says that it's from outer space though, and it doesn't have the Ultra Beast sound effect in it's cry like all the others do, which kinda rules it out of being one, sadly.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I love them, but I'm glad they aren't a focus in Gen 8. It makes them feel more special.

slib

Banned
Nov 2, 2019
They're almost evenly split with half being some of the best Designed mons in a long time and the other half being the absolute worst

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
They're hideous. Not sure when someone decided that Pokémon, of all possible series, needed Eldritch horrors (and not well-designed ones, either) to spice things up.

dRlLzZZ.png

(Not that far from the real deal)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Beasts are a rad concept that shouldn't be confined to a single generation, so I hope they show up again soon.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I liked them until they were just treated as Pokemon. I would have preferred they be uncatchable boss monsters.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Absolutely hated them. I get the idea that they're Pokemon from like an alternate dimension or something but I don't like the way they look at all.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The best concept in Pokémon since YEARS. Best best best best. I want more.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
They were very cool for one game but that's it. I hope they're back as mythical Pokemon but not new ones, no.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
They grew on me, hated them at first but the concept of Pokemon from alternate universes and the stylistic differences is pretty cool. I think that they shouldn't have all been "legendaries" though and that some more could have had evolutionary lines. If they made new ones I wouldn't mind but I'd rather it be sparingly done.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing concept that was executed brilliantly, but at the same time them effectively being Legendaries meant I didn't want to use them in-game either, which inadvertently was a drag since there were so many

They needed more that you could actually evolve.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a fan. They and Sun/Moon's story didn't resonate with me at all. They were just so... out of place I guess and didn't fit the Pokemon franchise to me (admittedly kind of the point).

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
IIRC the games didn't really consider them Pokemon, or it was debatable (or something), so I immediately checked out of them. I'm here to catch all the pokemon. Not random aliens.

Could be wrong here.