• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultra Beasts?

• Hell yeah, and I hope we see more in new generations!

Votes: 161 30.2%
  • They were cool, but I don't care much if we don't see them again.

Votes: 140 26.3%
  • I didn't really care for them.

Votes: 143 26.8%
  • I hate them, they look like Digimon.

Votes: 89 16.7%

• Total voters

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
They are pretty much some of the best new pokemon from the 3ds generation. Outside of the starters and alolan 9 tails. I think they are the best new pokemon of Sun and Moon

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does it though? I hate Gen 8's fossil Pokemon. Really disappointing.

Oh, you're gonna be surprised how deep that rabbithole goes!

If you have 20 Minutes to spare I can recommend you to watch this video right here:

Not only does it discuss the inspiration for the fossils and how they might have actually looked like, it also goes in-depth about the story of mixing Dinosaur fossils in real life and how some of the most known dinosaurs might never have actually existed.

In fact, I'd say this video is a must-watch for everyone that likes Pokémon and Dinosaurs.

As for the actual topic: I love UB's and wish to see them implemented in another future game for lore/story reasons.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
They exemplify Gen 7 in a nutshell - they have great designs, and the idea behind them is amazing, but the execution is woeful.

Seriously, there are 7 of them in Sun and Moon, yet we only see two of them in the story. Wouldn't it be cool if they had replaced the Totem Pokemon as bosses?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like them at all. They felt so disjointed for Pokemon. I'm pretty glad that they're gone in SwoShi ... it's enough that Eternatus looks like one.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but not enough to use myself
No one design jumped out to me as a personal fave, but I dig the overall abomination look they had going on.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I hate them. They're my least favourite Pokémon by a long long LOOOONG way. Awful decision.

They don't look like Digimon though, Digimon are better designed.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love em. Hopefully with DLC on the way all those beast balls and Type Null were hints that Ultra Beasts will eventually be added in to SwSh. Best concept in years and they should have been a mainstay feature like regional forms. Not the core of the plot for every game on, but definitely as a sidequest or a Post League challenge with 2 or 3 new Ultra Beasts added each gen. I hope someday Gamefreak decides to do a one off like Let's Go and has a game set entirely in Ultra Space.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like them at all, they shouldn't have been classified as pokemon, and should've been uncatchable unique boss fights with special mechanics.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I know it's not one, but my headcanon is that Eternautus is an Ultra Beast, and I will stick with it.

I can't be the only one who sees this as an evolutionary line.

803.png

804.png

890.png

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was interesting to see pokemon's take on interdimensional horrors, and some designs are legit amazing.

It was a MASSIVE lost opportunity to not bring back missingno as an UB, especially considering gamefreaks galactic size boner for Gen 1

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I love the Ultra Beasts. Ken Sugimori and James Turner really went all out to make these creatures look otherworldly.
The typing's associated with each of them is even more intriguing.

If not for the similar colors, they'd look completely different.

I've seen more drastic differences like Dragonair evolving into Dragonite.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I like them but like all legendaries I never use them. I would have preferred it if they had stats like normal Pokémon.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
I think these along with all those regional evolution and Gigantamax stuffs (that are one off in each gen) really mess up the Pokédex.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They are awesome and their strange designs fits perfectly with the theme of "Extradimensional Pokémon".

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
They are a cool concept and look exactly as they should.
Living in a post Sw/Sh world, I think they would make great raid bosses and their designs would surely work well in that regard, way better than "fight the same pokémon but giant".

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The concept was cool, some of the design were too (and some were not). I don't think it will be a big deal if they don't return, however, I feel like there is a lot of untapped potential (story wise) with them.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They were fine besides their look, their general concept, and the awful plot that dragged us through encountering them. Weak, off-brand distraction from the weakest generation of Pokemon games.

They look more random and underdesigned than like Digimon though.

No big deal though, pretty clear that they are in the past now.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting concept, poorly executed (as was a lot of Sun/Moon). I really like the super alien looking designs (Nihilego, Celesteela, Guzzlord) and hate the humanoid ones (Xurkitree, Buzzwole).

I think the problem is that while they seem alien to start with, all it amounts to at the end of the day is "hey they have a crap catch rate if you don't use one specific ball". Statwise they're legendaries like Deoxys' forms, extremely skewed and OP in 1 or 2 key areas and weak in the others, although their unique typing is cool. But really they just function like any other Pokemon and you never get to actually see or explore or find out much of anything regarding their world even in USUM. Maybe they'd have been better as totem replacements. Maybe they'd have been better with normal stats. Maybe they'd have been better off not being a thing.

Honestly I dunno what I'd have done with them or would do going forwards, and I don't think Game Freak does either.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I don't like all of them, but there's a bunch of them I do like. Overall I like the idea, just wish less of them were legendary tier in stats, and there was more like Poipole that evolved. As people said earlier in the thread, it made the generation feel like it had too many legendary Pokemon, and also too many single stage Pokemon.

I wouldn't mind seeing more if they did more like Poipole.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I like them conceptually. I dislike the designs mostly for not being alien enough. They're still rooted in very regular-world like things. A model-looking bug. A body-builder bug. The clown thing. The electrical wires. The folded paper...

UB's as is just felt like an excuse to break free from the pokemon style sheet without actually trying to make them seem alien. I want some indefineable shape that looks different depending on what perspective you look at it in. I want some thing actually weird and strange. Not just "these don't fit the rest of pokemon so lets find an excuse for that"

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh, you're gonna be surprised how deep that rabbithole goes!

If you have 20 Minutes to spare I can recommend you to watch this video right here:

Not only does it discuss the inspiration for the fossils and how they might have actually looked like, it also goes in-depth about the story of mixing Dinosaur fossils in real life and how some of the most known dinosaurs might never have actually existed.

In fact, I'd say this video is a must-watch for everyone that likes Pokémon and Dinosaurs.

As for the actual topic: I love UB's and wish to see them implemented in another future game for lore/story reasons.

I mean, I can appreciate that, the gag got a "heh" out of me and that deep dive is fun but I'm still left with a Fossil Pokemon that looks terrible and Fossil Pokemon are something I look forward to each gen (not that I haven't been disappointed before).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Hate them and was mostly poorly designed. Gen 7 was very worrying but I really liked Gen 8 (and they are gone).
So everything is fine now.