• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So did you use it? Be honest.

• Yes. Ain't nobody got time for roaming shit.

Votes: 541 72.7%
  • No. I'm a filthy hoarder.

Votes: 203 27.3%

• Total voters

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I used it on Mewtwo. I think I figured that, "Oh, you're supposed to use it here." and tossed it at him. I was surprised to learn that you could actually catch Mewtwo without the Master Ball. Next time I played a Gen I game, I specifically prepared to catch him without one. Took a while but I managed to pull it off. THANK YOU BUTTERFREE

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Back in the day, yeah. Now I save it for roamers.

Case in point, when Yellow came out on 3DS VC I didn't use one on Mewtwo. For Silver I multiplied the Master Ball for the roaming beasts.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WANz3pU.jpeg

Hell yeah i did.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, why wouldn't u use it lol. Those damn legendaries aren't catching themselves.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I use it on whichever legendary it looks best on. Necrozma + Master Ball was a stylish combo.

_Jelly_fish

Oct 5, 2019
Melbourne
I was that one kid on the playground with an R4 that would sell master balls to the kids who played Pokemon. Also used to sell event items/Pokemon and had an all darkarai team when the movie came out

Yes I am ashamed of 10 year old me

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I usually leave it for the last legendary I catch, whatever it is.

For Pokémon Sun I used it earlier on Tapu Bulu because I forgot to stack on balls and wasted all the good ones already, so it did what it was supposed to do: help me in a pinch.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I did.

But I SWEAR I caught Mewtwo with an ultra ball once in Pokémon Blue. But didn't save. And nobody ever believes me.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sure

i mean it's a way to avoid lots of time wasted and my rpg obsession to keep hoarding stuff really only kicks in until i finish the game, endgame stuff is where i waste all the stuff hoarded

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
First time I played Pokémon was in Emerald. I'm not proud of using it on a level 26 Manectric. But I use it on every game. Letting it rot on the bag is wack.

Back in 1998 I was so excited that I finally found Pikachu in Viridian Forest and I used my Master Ball on that...

Also yeah I've used it (smarter) in all of the other entries. Why the hell would I just keep it in my bag for? I usually use it on the Lv. 70 legendary.

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
First playthrough of blue, used it on Mewtwo because thats what my guide told me to do. Once the Missingno trick was discovered, I replayed it and duped the hell out of that and rare candies.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing a shiny Kyogre struggle itself to death, GF can get to fuck with some of their outrageous catch rates. I'll use it on something rare the first chance I can get.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I used it once, in Pokemon Red, my first Pokemon game ever of course... on Articuno lol. I didn't know! I thought he was gonna be the coolest (heh, ice) thing I ever saw! XD

Now I never use it, waaay more fun to catch them 'regularly'. More challenge, more fun to me.

I could understand using it on the ones that run around the world and you gotta chase them/they always run away from you. I maybe did that one time (not in Gold, one of the later ones, White 2 maybe?) but in general I find it just more fun to catch them with normal balls.

Also I'm a hoarder, known to KEEP EVERYTHING FOR A RAINY DAY! You'll never know when you might need it! Don't waste it! So I just never use it. :P

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Used it on Mewtwo. I had all Pokemon including Mew (best friend gifted to me) and some kids in my school wanted to see it for themselves. They were jelly so they decided to create a new save file in a new game.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I save it for emergencies, like a shiny that has a high chance of KOing itself

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
In RBY I would use it on Mewtwo. Ever since I would keep it in case a shiny pops up. It never did, except a single Chansey in Ultra Moon (which I just caught with a Ultra Ball).

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Lol can't believe how many here use it instead of '20 Ultra balls'. Lol that's nothing. I've battled legendaries for hours, throwing ball after ball, reviving my team as it's swept, finally catching one in an ultra or Timber ball.

I always save the Master ball for a chance shiny which would be hard to catch. For example in Let's Go I used my Master ball on a shiny Chansey which happened to pop up.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first time in Red, I used it on onyx because that big boy always broke out, not knowing what's to come. Once the balls were visually different, I used only poke balls. I need them to look the same.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tossed it towards the boxart legendary (Mewtwo in RBY) every time. Or maybe some other post-game legendary, whichever would be the hardest and take me the longest time.
The ball looks kinda shitty tho so I did try doing it with regular balls at some point, but it takes too long.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
On Tapu Koko because you fight it after a long cutscene after becoming champion. And I ran out of Ultra Balls

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I never used it on any of the roaming Pokemon. Only the ones where it felt most suited to each game--usually whichever legendary is causing the most havoc in any given game (mewtwo in gen 1, dialga in platinum, yveltal in y etc.). It felt "right" to use it on those, even though I never gave a damn about the story in any pokemon game, minus my frustration with how half-baked the story for X and Y was.

Catching the roaming pokemon was always a challenge for me to overcome. Shoutout to Mean Look.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, on Mewtwo. Then some legendary in one of the later games because I wanted to get the right nature. You should really be able to retrain a Pokemon's nature. Nature RNG (and EV training) is one of my least favorite aspects of the series.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
I´m a OG poke ball only type of guy, so not really. (catching Arceus on diamond was a fun one...)

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Used it on mewtwo for sure.

I should say I've never (to my knowledge) ran into any shinys in game either, so I may have used it on one of those if I ever got the chance.