• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So did you use it? Be honest.

• Yes. Ain't nobody got time for roaming shit.

Votes: 541 72.7%
  • No. I'm a filthy hoarder.

Votes: 203 27.3%

• Total voters

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Back in school my friends and I would always keep it, it was an unspoken rule between us ever since the GB games and it's something I still commit to.
If you check any of my saves, you'll always find the Master Ball is there and no Pokémon of mine was ever caught by one.

So, Era: Did you use it or did you keep it as a trophy?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Used that shit on Mewtwo every time.

He wasted like 20 of my ultra balls and at that point I was done.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
always keep it, just spammed the motherfucking Ice beam on legendaries until frozen or used false swipe

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
First time I played Pokémon was in Emerald. I'm not proud of using it on a level 26 Manectric. But I use it on every game. Letting it rot on the bag is wack.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I used a masterball was on a trainers Pokemon.

In the OG games, I believe you lost the ball when you did that. So I lost my master ball.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Never. Always had that

"I might need it later" mindset.

Like most JRPG when you gets items you can't buy lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general, no.

Well, I would only use it on Legendary Pokemon that would roam the region, like Latios or something, because nobody got time for that shit. But for the usual Legendaries that are just chilling in an area waiting for you to challenge them, I never use it, I enjoy the challenge of catching them "normally".

I also used it on a trainer's Pokemon when I was really young, I was mad af that it didn't work

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I used dozens of master balls. All legitimately earned along with the hundreds of rare candies I collected.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I save it for the random encounter legendaries (the three dogs, Latias and Latios, etc).

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I use it on the first shiny I find after getting it.

Usually it's also the only shiny I find.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a dirty hoarder when it comes to the MasterBall. When the Premier Ball was introduced, I only used it to catch Pokémon.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I save it every time. You never know when a Shiny with a selfdestruct or the ability to end battle will show up.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
yes....I used it on a fucking Ursaring because I thought you could get more....

after that I never used it, always like wasting dozens of ball trying to get a legendary for some reason lol! those shakes always got me tense!!!

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. On anything roaming/pain in the ass to keep down/has access to heals. Basically anything that is Mewtwo-esque to catch.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I for real used my first Master ball on a venonat by accident in Pokemon Red.

Yeah I'm awesome.

I save scum to use premier balls on everything nowadays when I can.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You save it for one of these bad boys.

b88f7a33a6214337b9fb70e911db7837.jpg

Or any other shinies that can KO themselves.

Beldum also had an abysmal 3 catch rate on top of it.

(And then they gave everyone a free one with ORAS early adopters.)

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
When I first played Pokemon I just didn't understand the importance and exclusivity of the Master Ball.

So I needed to get to the Elite Four, none of my Pokemon could learn the move Waterfall, and I was at a loss. But by the waterfall I encountered a Seaking, thought "hey maybe that Pokemon could learn Waterfall... Well I JUST got this super important Master Ball, I guess this situation is important enough to need to use it" and so I caught a Seaking with a Master Ball.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
In Diamond, I used it on the lake trio pokemon that moved between areas. I just didn't want to chase it down. I haven't played any other Pokemon game far enough for the master ball to come up, but I probably would use it. It is a waste to not use rare items.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, I also used a Master Ball on a Shiny Zubat. At the time, I thought Shiny Pokemon were super special and more powerful than regular Pokemon lol

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use it to capture the Pokémon on the box art.

But the first time I used it, it was on Articuno, I had no idea about Mewtwo yet.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

Not only did I have the "I only have one, so I must not waste it...Oh, I have nothing to use it on now." Mindset

But the Master Ball is ugly as hell. I like putting good Pokemon in better looking Pokeballs these days. First-world Trainer problems.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day? Yeah, on super special legendaries like Mewtwo. These days I try to use Ultra Balls and such.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yea, I also used a Master Ball on a Shiny Zubat. At the time, I thought Shiny Pokemon were super special and more powerful than regular Pokemon lol

To be fair, in Gen 2, shinies had perfect IVs. So they were more powerful than the average pokemon.

If you caught in like, Ruby/Sapphire onwards, nah. Same random spread as everyone else.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, in Gen 2, shinies had perfect IVs. So they were more powerful than the average pokemon.

If you caught in like, Ruby/Sapphire onwards, nah. Same random spread as everyone else.

It was Gen 2 I believe. I used it on one of the Pokemon Stadium games, so yea lol

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, on roaming legendaries

And Mewtwo in the first generation since there was nothing else to use it on

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I never liked using the master ball because the RNG was part of the fun, so was whittling down the Pokemon and putting it to sleep/freeze/paralyze/etc. I remember buying 50 ultra balls before heading to catch Articuno and catching it with the first ball I threw anyways. The master ball just seems like anti-fun to me outside of those legendaries that instantly flee when you encounter them.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The first time I played Gen 1 I used it on Moltres like an idiot. First Legendary Pokemon I ever encountered. Nowadays I'll use it on a roaming legendary usually

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but stopped once a pokemon retained what ball it was caught in, since the Master Ball is ugly as sin.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have only played the first 3 gens. I remember doing that until Gen 3. During Gen 3 i realized i didnt want a special pokemon to be in an ultra ball, somhow i got kyrogre groudon and reyqueza or whatever with ultra balls, and i for some reason could get latias or latios unless i used the master ball lol

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I save it?

I always used it on the mascot Pokemon.

It also looks cool as heck with Mewtwo.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
A few times but after that, I usually kept it for other stuff like shinies and the like.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Always use it on the legendary mascot. Everything else, I prep a proper team to hunt them.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, you guys are really making me feel like an idiot for saving it in every single game lol.