• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So did you use it? Be honest.

• Yes. Ain't nobody got time for roaming shit.

Votes: 541 72.7%
  • No. I'm a filthy hoarder.

Votes: 203 27.3%

• Total voters

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I remember using mine on a Ditto in Gold because I was having so much trouble catching one and just wanted to breed some Pokemon already.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always for the top-tier legendary of the game.

Unless we are talking about Blue and Red. Then you use the Missingno glitch to multiply it.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
When I first played Pokemon I just didn't understand the importance and exclusivity of the Master Ball.

So I needed to get to the Elite Four, none of my Pokemon could learn the move Waterfall, and I was at a loss. But by the waterfall I encountered a Seaking, thought "hey maybe that Pokemon could learn Waterfall... Well I JUST got this super important Master Ball, I guess this situation is important enough to need to use it" and so I caught a Seaking with a Master Ball.
So did it learn it?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Maybe once every 3-5 games. I hold onto it thinking "I'll need this for something," and almost never use it. Sometimes I just say "fuck it" and throw it on a legendary. I guess I'm hoping for a shiny. But generally, no, I don't use it.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I always use it on some legendary that I'll never actually put in my party.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I used it typically on the "Mew" legendary of the particular game or on one of the roaming legendaries I actually planned on using.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I used. I'm not leaving that Mewtwo on that cave.

Quoting Dorkly: "Have you ever tried catching a Mewtwo with a regular Pokeball? You might as well throw an orange covered in vaseline!"

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My friends told me you could use it on Any Pokémoni used it on Giovannis nidoqueen
that was back when blue was new but I can still feel that sting as if it were yesterday

May 15, 2019
I think I caught a Seaking with mine because it was the first Pokemon I ran into after getting it that I hadn't seen before.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Almost never. I think my brother used it once in our very first playthrough of Blue. Ever since then, we both hoard it and never use it

Oct 30, 2017
I always saved it to duplicate it in the originals. Made catching everything so much easier. Later games, I just used it

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I always catch the mascot with the Master Ball (except the Kanto games, where I catch Mewtwo with it instead).

And I think I didn't catch Necrozma with the Master Ball in US... Actually I'm not sure about Lunala in Pokémon Moon either, I'll have to check.

But yeah, I always use it for the mascot, especially since they started giving them away in the Lottery thingies and stuff like that. It's like, even if I use I usually still have one left. Not to mention all those games I exploited the Action Replay like there was no tomorrow.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Eh on the originals I just duplicated it and used it for everything lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a dumb kid thing. Playing through blue, I was backtracking through some area. I ran into a Pikachu for the first time when I was pretty far into the game. My kid self instantly thought "Obviously this is super rare because it's like Ash's Pikachu, I gotta have it, it's so strong!" I used the master ball so it wouldn't run and hastily saved. It was like level 11 or something, then instantly a wave of realization washed over me that this probably wasn't the right move. I was pretty mad at myself for that for a while.

Also, yellow came out soon after and I doubly realized that was dumb.

Yes. On a ditto... x.x

Ah, I don't feel so bad now, haha.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Always on roamers, most recently I hated catching Entei so damn much took like 40 encounters who knows how many ultra balls after using my Master Ball in my replay of Soul silver on Raikou, but it probably would've been the same had a saw Entei first

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I always followed this Poké Tip

biBKFzi.jpg

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Roamers are annoying, so on them, although the recent games haven't given me a reason to use the Master Ball that much besides LGP with Mewtwo. Throwing ultra balls gets boring

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Honestly in Red/Blue, if you don't use it on Mewtwo, it's a waste. The roaming Pokemon in Gold were too much work to catch without the master ball. I chucked it at Suicune and just worried about the others till later. I completely missed the master ball in Sapphire and had to catch Latias the hard way.

Oct 26, 2017
Used mine on a Kangaskhan when I was like 5 and my brothers flamed the shit out of me when I told them. Went from being so psyched to straight up crushed.

In modern gens I never use my masterball, that's bush league shit.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
What reason would one have to NOT use the master ball on a hard to catch mon unless you like the challenge of wasting time throwing dozens of balls while tanking/healing? It's not like they're a dime a dozen or anything.

Last edited:

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
ive used it whenever i felt like it (i generally just save it in case something rare pops out or if i just want to catch a low catch rate mon without spending too much time )

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
In Fire Red, Shiny Mewtwo on the very first try, Master Balled as soon as I recovered from the shock.