• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
uLPOlf4.png

Introduction

Welcome to the Digimon Community Official Thread.

Digimon, short for Digital Monster started in Japan in 1997 as a Virtual Pet, a Tamagotchi that can battle other Tamagotchi's.

ANIME

Digimon Adventure

Digimon: Digital Monsters also known as Digimon Adventure in Japan. It first aired in 1999 in both the west and Japan.

7 Kids are at Summer Camp in Japan. All around the world, weird weather has been happening which results in snow during summer camp. The 7 kids took this great opportunity to play in the snow, build some snowmen and lament about how they can't connect to the internet on their laptop.

Suddenly though, small digital devices rained down from the sky and shortly after they were transported to the Digital World, not knowing what was in store for them.

They are the Digidestined!

Digimon Adventure 02

This is Digimon Adventure 02 also known as the second season of Digimon: Digital Monsters.

3 years after the final battle against Apocalymon, a new enemy has appeared except this time the Enemy is human. Joined by 3 new Digidestined, Kari and TK (aka Hikari and Takeru) pick up their devices and with a new way of Digivolving, they take action against the boy only known as The Digimon Emperor.

Digimon Tamers

Digimon Tamers also known as the third season of Digimon: Digital Monsters and the first to be set in a different Universe from the first two seasons.

In this Universe, Digimon is a franchise which is all about merchandising, sort of like the real world really. The biggest merchandise being the card game which the main character is really into.

One day, our protagonist, a young boy finds a mysterious blue card that he tries to swipe in his card reader which somehow changes it into a strange Digital Device. One that is almost like a card reader.

Thanks to this new Digivice, he is able to see his own Digimon creation come to life but he has no idea what he has been drawn into as the newest Digimon Tamer.

This is the story of the Digimon Tamers.

Digimon Frontier

This is Digimon Frontier also known as the fourth season of Digimon. This season is particularly controversial due to the fact that the main characters do not have partners and instead are able to transform into Digimon themselves through Spirit Evolution, a new form of evolution just for Frontier.

In this season, our protagonists each receives a message which leads them to a train station with a lot of trains. By getting on this train, they end up in the Digital World. What will happen to our protagonists as they learn the secrets of Spirit Evolution?

Digimon Savers

This is Digimon Savers aka Digimon Data Squad in the west. This season is notable for a major art style change compared to previous seasons.

In this series, Digimon are known amongst the government who have set up DATS, short for the Digital Accident and Tactics Squad (or Digimon Data Squad in English) in order to deal with threats posed by Digimon who have somehow entered the real world.

They deal with Digimon by fighting them and turning them back into DigiEggs via destroying them and once back into DigiEggs, are sent back to the Digital World where once they hatch, won't remember anything about what they did before they were turned into a DigiEgg.

This season starts with the fateful encounter between a Street Fighter known as Masaru Daimon (or Marcus Damon) and an escaped Agumon.

Digimon Xros Wars

Digimon Xros Wars (Xros is pronounced cross) is the sixth entry of the Digimon anime franchise, known in the US as Digimon Fusion and elsewhere as Digimon Fusion Battles.

In this season, a boy named Taiki, along with friends Akari and Zenjiro, were taking a break after school when, all of a sudden, odd distortions begin causing havoc in the city. Suddenly, he hears a call for help. When he "connects" with the sound, another strange voice comes to give him a Xros Loader to save it. The three friends are dragged into the Digital World, where they encounter the owner of the voice, Shoutmon.

Digimon Xros Wars: The Boy Hunters Who Leapt Through Time

This is Digimon Xros Wars: The Boy Hunters Who Leapt Through Time also known as Digimon Fusion: Season 3.

This season is part of Digimon Xros Wars however many consider it to be a new season due to it's similarities to Digimon Adventure 02 aka new protag and such.

Again, I welcome contributions for this section and the translation guide section (assuming it is needed) otherwise I'll update this section once I have researched it more and/or watched the series myself.

Digimon Adventure Tri

This is Digimon Adventure Tri, the 3rd and final season of Digimon Adventure except it's not a season sadly. It's a set of 6 OVAs/Movies.

(more information will be added after Tri 6 is out)

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters:

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters (often referred to as Appmon for short) is the 8th and most recent Digimon television series, and represented an effort to retool the franchise for a new generation of fans. The series features a heavier focus on AI, and the monsters in the series are all based around smartphone apps in some way.

The series features Haru, a bookish boy who doesn't believe he has what it takes to be a protagonist type character, who teams up with an aspiring idol named Eri, the energetic Apptuber Astra, and the brooding hacker Rei who join with their Buddy Appmon and fight against the sinister AI Leviathan, which will surpass humanity by the year 2045.

MOVIES

Digimon Adventure

This is the first Digimon movie which aired in Japan on March the 6th 1999, 1 day before the anime started airing in Japan and serves as a prequel to the anime series.

It stars a young Taichi and Hikari (aka Tai and Kari) as they have their first encounter with a Digimon and are put on track to becoming the future Digidestined

Digimon Adventure: Our War Game!

This is the second Digimon movie that happens sometime after the battle against Apocalymon but before Digimon Adventure 02

It has cameos of many of the Digidestined but primarily focuses on Tai, Izzy, Matt and TK as they fight on the internet against against Diaboromon to protect Japan and the world from being destroyed.

Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! / Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals

This is a two part movie set in the Adventure 02 timeline before the end of the series.

They are probably the movies with the most issues as many things shown in them don't fit with the timeline of the series and include many inconsistencies along with animation errors and so on.

In this movie, Kari and TK are visiting Mimi in America when she suddenly disappears, and not long after they meet another Digidestined who seems to have an idea of what is going on.

Digimon: The Movie

This is the American-edited Digimon movie that edits the first 3 movies together and changes a lot to make them all fit each other as one long running storyline. involving Willis.

Some of the changes include Willis being the one who caused Diaboromon to run rampant on the internet and getting rid of the whole Mimi and the older Digidestined disappearing in the Adventure 02 movie.

The movie has a great soundtrack even if you dislike the movie itself.

Digimon Adventure 02: Revenge of Diaboromon

The final Adventure 02 movie known in Japan as Digimon Adventure 02: Diablomon Strikes Back.

It focuses on the return of Diaboromon aka Diablomon as he decides to wreck havoc on the internet again including sending smaller baby Digimon to the real world through the use of peoples phones and e-mail addresses

Digimon Tamers: Battle of Adventurers

The first Digimon movie not set in the Adventure universe and is instead set in the Tamers universe where the biggest dreamers live.

I will add more to this once I refresh my memory on this movie (or someone can submit a nice quick synopsis for me to add here)

Digimon Tamers: Runaway Locomon

The second tamers movie known in Japan as Digimon Tamers: Runaway Digimon Express.

This movie takes place after the end of the anime. The Tamers are planning to throw Rika a surprise party but their plans are put on hold as they have to deal with a train Digimon called Locomon causing trouble in the city.

Digimon Frontier: Island of Lost Digimon

This movie is the first and only Frontier movie.

Again, I haven't watched this movie so I'll do some research on it when I get the chance. (or again, someone can help me out with it)

Digital Monster X-Evolution

This movie is diffrent from all previous movies as it does not take place in any previous anime continuity, does not have humans in it at all and is done entirely using CG Animation.

I'll fill this in at a later time.

Digimon Savers: Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode!!

The first and only movie set during Digimon Savers.

The plot revolves around Agumon, Lalamon and Gaomon who are on their own as all humans in the city including their partners are put into an eternal sleep due to some mysterious thorns

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Translation Guide:

This section is specifically for people who don't know the Japanese names. if I miss any out that you feel I should include, let me know. I will also not include attacks here but if you think I should add any specific ones, let me know.
Adventure + Adventure 02

EN -> JP

Tai Kamiya -> Taichi Yagami
Matt Ishida -> Yamato Ishida
Joe Kido -> Jyo/Jo/Jyou Kido
Izzy Izumi -> Koushiro Izumi
Kari Kamiya -> Hikari Yagami
T.K. Takaishi -> Takeru Takaishi
Nancy Takaishi -> Natsuko Takaishi
Digidestined -> Chosen Children
Biyomon -> Piyomon
Gatomon -> Tailmon
Myotismon -> Vamdemon
VenomMyotismon -> VenomVamdemon
Machinedramon -> Mugendramon
Frigimon -> Yukidarumon
Rookie -> Child
Champion -> Adult
Ultimate -> Perfect
Mega -> Ultimate
Digivolution -> Evolution

Davis Motomiya -> Daisuke Motomiya
Yolei Inoue -> Miyako Inoue
Cody Hida -> Iori Hida
Veemon -> V-mon
Flamedramon -> Fladramon
Raidramon -> Lighdramon
MaloMyotismon -> BelialVamdemon
DNA Digivolution -> Jogress Evolution
Digimon Emperor -> Digimon Kaiser

Digimon Tamers

EN -> JP

Takato Matsuki -> Takato Matsuda
Rika Nonaka -> Ruki Makino
Henry Wong -> Jenrya Li
Kazu Shioda -> Shiota Hirokazu
Jeri Katou -> Juri Katou
Suzie Wong -> Shiuchon Li
Calumon -> Culumon

Digimon Frontier

EN -> JP

J.P. Shibayama -> Junpei Shibayama
Zoe Orimoto -> Izumi Orimoto
Tommy Himi -> Tomoki Himi

Digimon Savers

EN -> JP

Marcus Damon -> Masaru Daimon
Thomas H. Norstein -> Tohma H. Norstein
Yoshi Fujieda -> Yoshino Fujieda
Keenan Crier -> Ikuto Noguchi
Commander Richard Sampson -> Captain Satsuma
Homer Yushima -> Hiroshi Yushima
Spencer Damon -> Suguru Daimon
Kristy Damon -> Chika Daimon
Sarah Damon -> Sayuri Daimon
DNA -> Digisoul
Digimon Data Squad -> Digital Accident Tactics Squad

Digimon Xros Wars

JP -> EN (last names are kept)

Xros Wars -> Fusion
Taiki Kudou -> Tyson
Akari Hinomoto -> Angie
Zenjirou Tsurugi -> Jeremy
ChibiKamemon -> ChibiTortomon
Bastemon -> Beastmon (wat)
Revolmon -> Deputymon
Beelzebumon -> Beelzemon
Xros Heart -> Fusion Fighters
Kiriha Anouma -> Christopher
Twilight -> Midnight
DarkKnightmon -> AxeKnightmon (wat)
Yuu Amano -> Ewan
Bagramon -> Lord Bagra (wat)
Lilithmon -> Laylamon (apparently Laylamon was originally used for dub, then reverted to Lilithmon some time, then as of Fusion, reverted back again to Laylamon)
Baalmon -> Reapmon
Evilmon -> Vilemon
AncientVolcanomon -> AncientVolcamon
Mugendramon -> Machinedramon

Movies

EN -> JP

Omnimon -> Omegamon
Diabormon -> Diablomon
Willis -> Wallace

Merchandise

G.E.M. Series

The G.E.M. series are high-quality figures with great attention to detail. They tend to run on the more expensive end, but you won't find a better Digimon figure elsewhere. Which human and/or Digimon that gets chosen seems random, but the focus appears to be on Adventure, 02 and Tamers for the time being.

yBcmSf9l.jpg

Digivolving Spirits

This line is a revisit to the old digivolving figures, with improved sculpting. The current plan is to make figures for all eight of the original Adventure Digimon, as well as Diablomon and Alphamon.

044ACdFm.jpg

Digivices

Based off of the old Digivices, the new 15th Anniversary Digivices come with new features, enemies, and partner Digimon. Currently, the Digimon Adventure, D-3, and D-Ark/D-Power Digivices have been released.

MyC4ONtm.jpg

Virtual Pets

Remakes of the original V-Pets where Digimon began. Improvements include: two partners at a time, more Digimon, and a faster life span. With the success of the 20th Anniversary Digital Monster V-Pets, 20th Anniversary Pendulum V-Pets are also going to be released.

qRNX8G5m.jpg

S.H. Figuarts

Poseable action figures that come with interchangeable parts, such as hands, attacks, or weapons. The focus of this line seems to be on popular Digimon.

U5PRvJFm.jpg

NXEDGE Style

Chibi style action figures that, like the S.H. Figuarts, have interchangeable parts. While it hasn't been confirmed, Hacker's Memory DLC suggests we may be looking at a complete Royal Knights set.

pzM8jCbm.jpg

Miscellaneous

Cards, cups, keychains, ties, phone cases, Tailmon gloves, Patamon hats, Gabumon keyboard buddies, super-expensive Omegamon watches, etc. There are too many to list.

SgzSGZTm.jpg

9K0EZMym.jpg

Where do I get them?

Tamashii Nations products like the NXEDGE Style, S.H. Figuarts, and Digivolving Spirits lines are usually distributed in North America by Bluefin and can be bought relatively easily on places like Amazon US and even brick-and-mortar stores.

There have been exclusive figures in the MegaHouse G.E.M. line, but most can be pre-ordered and bought on websites like Crunchyroll and Big Bad Toy Store.

Items that are only available in Japan can be found on websites such as AmiAmi and CDJapan, unless they are Premium Bandai exclusive. In that case, you will need to go through an intermediary like From Japan or Nippon-Yasan.

Big Bad Toy Store: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/
Crunchyroll Store: http://www.crunchyroll.com/store
AmiAmi: http://www.amiami.com/
CDJapan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
Premium Bandai: http://p-bandai.jp/
Nippon-Yasan: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/
From Japan: https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/

If you are unsure of where to get an item or how to use an intermediary, feel free to ask the members of this thread.

Community Discord

We have a Community Discord, feel free to drop by and lurk or chat as you feel like.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Credit: Boss Doggie and PaperSparrow for their Contributions to the Xros Wars summary and to sensui-tomo for the OT title. Also to thanks King Drasil or Yggdrasil for the image.

Thanks KuwabaraTheMan for the Appmon summary.

Thanks also to PaperSparrow for contributing all of the Merch section :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask someone to move this to the off topic hangout? I accidentally posted this here while getting used to the forum

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered Hacker's Memory today. Been playing Digimon World Next Order having never played the original world games, and its a blast!

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered Hacker's Memory today. Been playing Digimon World Next Order having never played the original world games, and its a blast!

Awesome. If you ever get a chance, you should play DW1. just to see how much it's changed. (and it's a good albeit buggy game haha)

I also have Hacker's Memory pre-ordered both the JP LE and the EU English release lol

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Let's hope they release the pre-order stuff for HM standalone after the launch period, so people who jump in later can get it too.

Won't be an issue here ofc ¦3

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Hacker's Memory PV2

Hacker's Memory release date trailer

Incase anyone missed this info.

Oh and the game is out December 14th in Japan and January 19th in NA/EU.

Sealtest

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised NA isn't getting a collectors. Would've been nice but that's the way she goes.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
a reminder that there's a planned specific anime part watching as a side dish to tri later in the future

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to be back. Thanks to everyone involved in keeping our community together, Sparrow and Stuart first and foremost! To another 20 years!

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to watching Tri Part 5. Is it good? What're everyone's thoughts on the OVA part?

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to watching Tri Part 5. Is it good? What're everyone's thoughts on the OVA part?

It has the same terrible pacing as most parts through the first 2 1/2 episodes. Halfway through the 3rd episode the action really picks up for the rest of it. There's mixed reactions on how well it was animated but I thought it was ok. The story in it is meh and takes a completely random turn at the end with basically 0 explanation. The action in the last 1 1/2 episodes really carry this part but the beginning is bad and the ending is just kind of there.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a favorite Digimon. If I had to pick one I lean towards Omnimon but that's really cliche. If we're talking characters and not designs then I loved Craniummon in Savers.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
favourite digimon? this
Slayerdramon.jpg

kinda glad dracomon line finally fully represented in another game after that digimon world championship

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

I enjoyed it, it has it's issues though (like all of Tri does and I'll be posting my thougts next year after Tri 6 is out lol), It also had far too many still shots which annoyed me.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Hello digidestined, lets set the record straight:

Tamers and Adventure 01 are the best series.

Beat Hit, Break Up and Brave Heart are the best evolution songs.

Frontier has a really underrated soudtrack with excellent OP/EDs

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had to think really hard for this D: My favorite is Magnadramon; at the very end it's a big adorable ball of fur and that's great.