• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if the digital copies that come with UHD blu-rays are, they themselves, 4K?

I'm pre-ordering Frozen 2 and we're getting an LG OLED C9 sometime in the near future, but I have no way to play the physical disc.

I'm assuming the Playstation 5 will eventually play it, and the price difference between Blu-ray/DVD and UHD/Blu-ray is only $5, so I'm going for the upgraded product.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Does anyone know if the digital copies that come with a UHD blu-ray are, they themselves, 4K?

I'm pre-ordering Frozen 2 and we're getting an LG OLED C9 sometime in the near future, but I have no way to play the physical disc.

I'm assuming the Playstation 5 will eventually play it, and the price difference between Blu-ray/DVD and UHD/Blu-ray is only $5, so I'm going for the upgraded product.
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. It's a guessing game unless you find out beforehand from someone else that did it. From my experience, the newer discs will give you the 4K UHD digital code 95% of the time. But older movies, (like Deadpool 1) only gave me the regular HD.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, they all are. Moviesanywhere tracks the difference between 4K and 1080p, and propagates it to the other platforms.
Yeah, YMMV on older movies, though. There's a moviesanywhere subreddit you can check that usually tracks that.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Some are. Generally my new Disney releases have redeemed in 4K through MoviesAnywhere if I've bought the UHD.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does anyone know if the digital copies that come with UHD blu-rays are, they themselves, 4K?

It varies, usually by studio.

Check in the first few posts here. There's a link to a pretty comprehensive user contributed spreadsheet:

Digital Copies: Where to redeem to keep 4K UHD? - Blu-ray Forum

Digital Copies: Where to redeem to keep 4K UHD? 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sell my digital copies on another site to people who collect them and typically codes from 4K discs are both in higher demand and go for more money. Best that I can tell, the format you purchase is reflective of the code you're given.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Generally, Yes. However, some studios do not support that. Like I know Fox did not support 4K digital copies. Maybe that's changed post Disney, but I know they were one of the hold outs. Which is why my digital copies of Logan and War of the Planet of the Apes are not in 4K >:^[

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how much do codes for for? I'm sitting on a few and I'll never use them

I unload mine over at Cheapassgamer.com because I've sold there forever.

As to price, it really depends on what you have.

Older catalog stuff - even in 4K - really depends on the popularity and scarcity of the film.

New releases however go pretty fast and for premium amounts. I got 8.00 bucks for stuff like Joker and Doctor Sleep (both 4K) and I've seen people price them even higher. (I try and be a bit lowball)

Even Blu codes still fetch a decent price. I got six bucks each for The Lighthouse and Parasite respectively.

And Disney/Marvel stuff stays pretty high and in demand.

Hope that helps. Selling the codes is a nice way to offset the price of physical - which I prefer for film.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I unload mine over at Cheapassgamer.com because I've sold there forever.

As to price, it really depends on what you have.

Older catalog stuff - even in 4K - really depends on the popularity and scarcity of the film.

New releases however go pretty fast and for premium amounts. I got 8.00 bucks for stuff like Joker and Doctor Sleep (both 4K) and I've seen people price them even higher. (I try and be a bit lowball)

Even Blu codes still fetch a decent price. I got six bucks each for The Lighthouse and Parasite respectively.

And Disney/Marvel stuff stays pretty high and in demand.

Hope that helps. Selling the codes is a nice way to offset the price of physical - which I prefer for film.

Nice. I also prefer to own physical for my movies.
Time to get them together and see what I have

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone decides to sell their 4k codes, PM me! I buy 4K codes regularly.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. I also prefer to own physical for my movies.
Time to get them together and see what I have

FYI, even if the codes claim to be expired, they are - more often than not - still good. You can even follow the directions for redemption to see if they are still viable without actually redeeming the film.

Just a Pro-tip. :)

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I think everything now in Canada redeem on google store, and most are not 4k. My Shining code redeemed in SD even when they got the new 4K version up as a separate purchase. Some bull shit....