• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Our first impressions of the rebooted Modern Warfare multiplayer, as shown at a recent press event. Developer Infinity Ward aims to redefine the series with broadened scale, improved lighting and more - and the outlook based on this early build is promising!

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
- PS4 Pro used for the event DF visited.
- 4K w/ HDR output used.
- "Best we've seen the series look on console"
- Target res is 2160p but uses temporal reconstruction to create 4K image.
- No 'native' resolution to draw, every frame gives a different resolution.
- Full screen velocity based motion blur but very lightly applied. Works in the image's favor.
- Performance lurks in the 55~60 FPS range with 60 FPS most of the time.
- Lod transition and pop-ins are very rare on smaller maps and very minimal on medium sized maps.
- Proper Physically based rendering used for every material in the game + Photogrammetry.
- No major frame rate drops or streaming seen using vehicles on larger maps.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, regular COD TDM doesn't really excite me and hasn't for a while.

The new 20 v 20 does. I'm also really interested in this rumoured 100 player playlist.

Battlefield with COD gunplay would be absolutely amazing.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The pop in was clear.

At around 3:25 - 3:30 you can see the shadows slowly creep in as the character gets closer to them or am I seeing things wrong?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Need to see 1X footage before I fully judge it. Pop-in is evident, even with small items from a few feet away. Hope they sort that out. As well as the shadow cascade issues that are going on.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Need to see 1X footage before I fully judge it. Pop-in is evident, even with small items from a few feet away. Hope they sort that out. As well as the shadow cascade issues that are going on.
Yeah, whenever a multi-plat video goes up on Digital Foundry and it doesn't include the X1X version I'm just like meh, obviously that will be the best version so why bother until they add that to the mix.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, whenever a multi-plat video goes up on Digital Foundry and it doesn't include the X1X version I'm just like meh, obviously that will be the best version so why bother until they add that to the mix.
They clearly state, at the event they're playing on ps4 pro and makes sense since that's who's marketing the game. They'll have the xbox one x results closer to the game release.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't notice it the first time but on repeat I do notice some shadows coming into existence.
Around the 3:00 mark you can see doodads on the rocks popping in from a few feet away also. Possibly tweaked for launch?

The cave section is really bad because isnt lighting one of the things they are really pushing for this game.
If a dark cave isnt dark when you look at it from XX distance doesnt that break alot.
A player who thinks they are in the shadows could easily be spotted since the shadows havent streamed in yet on everyone elses console.

They def have some optimizations to do.
We know a player(teammate) outline build already exists they have more than enough time to fix the shadows.

The other LOD pop in doesnt really bother me, im unlikely to notice in mid match....but large shadows slowly streaming in.....thats really bad.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
They clearly state, at the event they're playing on ps4 pro and makes sense since that's who's marketing the game. They'll have the xbox one x results closer to the game release.
Yeah, I'm not saying they should have included it in this video obviously, I just got excited thinking it was a true comparison video as I like those better and don't glean much from just seeing one system. My primary reason for subscribing to DF is to see which platform I should get a game on.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cut from a ten year old Remaster at 2:16 to this brand new game everyone is raving about technically, even at 2160p is why people say diminishing returns are here in full force.

Great video as always DF!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm not saying they should have included it in this video obviously, I just got excited thinking it was a true comparison video as I like those better and don't glean much from just seeing one system. My primary reason for subscribing to DF is to see which platform I should get a game on.
Its probably similar to Destiny 2. I don't think we will get solid 1X footage until much closer to launch but I could be wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
This definitely isn't rumoured. The press release they sent over specifically says "Ground War, an epic large-scale mode supporting more than 100-players".

Ohhh, ok.

Just that we haven't seen it, so I thought that wasn't official.

Good to hear. Would love to see it.

I really hope "ground war" isnt just another name for Battle Royale.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, regular COD TDM doesn't really excite me and hasn't for a while.

The new 20 v 20 does. I'm also really interested in this rumoured 100 player playlist.

Battlefield with COD gunplay would be absolutely amazing.
Sniping with full auto on in Battlefield would be... weird.

Now, CoD with Battlefield graphics is something I can get behind.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
How did previous CoD games perform and look ON X? Did the devs really take advantage of the X or not really?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The cut from a ten year old Remaster at 2:16 to this brand new game everyone is raving about technically, even at 2160p is why people say diminishing returns are here in full force.

Great video as always DF!
It's a current gen remaster of a 10 year old game. Not a 10 year old game running on a 10 year old engine. Ofcourse the difference isn't gonna be a generational leap but rather a difference in the precision, and consistency of techniques used. As well as introduction of some newer techniques allowing for never before seen gameplay elements such as real Night Vision which requires handling lighting and materials in a very different manner than what was done before, or larger maps and player count while still keeping high fidelity...unlike Blackout. These are where the changes/improvements are visible the most as the newer engine facilitates this.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but IQ looks rather poor. Reminds me of RDR2 and Watch Dogs 2 on Pro - games where a poor reconstruction implementation creates nasty blurring and artifacting in the horizontal direction.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but IQ looks rather poor. Reminds me of RDR2 and Watch Dogs 2 on Pro - games where a poor reconstruction implementation creates nasty blurring and artifacting in the horizontal direction.
They went over this in the previous video where all 4 guys are talking about it. This method does not have sawtooth artifacting like CBR, it's also not your usual temporal reconstruction ala Quantum Break.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Looking forward to this one, their last game on Pro looked surprisingly good, with good frame rate to boot.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a current gen remaster of a 10 year old game. Not a 10 year old game running on a 10 year old engine. Ofcourse the difference isn't gonna be a generational leap but rather a difference in the precision, and consistency of techniques used. As well as introduction of some newer techniques allowing for never before seen gameplay elements such as real Night Vision which requires handling lighting and materials in a very different manner than what was done before, or larger maps and player count while still keeping high fidelity...unlike Blackout. These are where the changes/improvements are visible the most as the newer engine facilitates this.

Oh I get all of that mate and if you're into DF and tech like us it's apparent. I was just commenting on why people think diminishing returns are a real thing and why in some cases they really shouldn't be mocked for their opinion :P

It's going to be very interesting when we see the PS5 exclusives to compare them to the PS4 versions of the same series. That will be the true test since (framerate aside) most people on here think they're the best looking games of this generation.