• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
720p on Xbox One OG/One S? Good lord. No wonder MS pushes the X so much.

Also, neat to see AC5 is more then a PS2 classic. Any mentions of HDR implementation for any platform? Just skimming the video.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the enhancements over base consoles are MASSIVE.

It's 720p and runs poorly on Xbox One while it's 1080p and mostly locked 60fps on X with just few dips in a couple missions.

It's 972p on PS4 with tons of slowdown as well while it's 1080p and basically 99% locked 60fps on Pro.

The game is gorgeous and super smooth on the enhanced consoles but not nearly as nice on the base systems.

Fine with me. Base console versions are shafted. I preordered both.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Was playing the game last night and it is indeed great looking, even photo realistic at points but why no HDR !? Game really would have benefited further.

Also VR mode is a real looker!

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
no TAA when it can easily be chucked into the PC version thanks to UE4, Tekken was the same & oh boy did that game have jaggies & need TAA.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The video popped on my feed, saw it was 28 minutes long and immediately thought Dark1x probably made a mini DF Retro out of this, and I was right.

I don't even really care about Ace Combat and I still enjoyed every minute of it. John's love for games and their tech is really infectious.

Thanks for another great video, John.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dark1x can you comment on whether the european preorder AC5 port/ps2classic version is based on the 50hz PAL AC5 Assault Squadron or the 60hz NTSC The Unsung War release?

Lovely DF analysis video btw. and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My buying habits are now heavily influenced by X Enhanced Games and what I'm seeing here is going to deter me from picking this game up, maybe after a few patches I'll jump in - maybe.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Dark1x can you comment on whether the european preorder bonus AC5 port/ps2classic version is based on the 50hz PAL AC5 Assault Squadron or the 60hz NTSC The Unsung War release?

Lovely DF analysis video btw. and thanks in advance!
It's the US version. At least, the download popped up initially with the Euro name but once downloaded, it appeared as the US version (The Unsung War).

My buying habits are now heavily influenced by X Enhanced Games
It is greatly enhanced over the Xbox One base version, though. A big leap.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Could they be using an older version of UE4 like Tekken? AC7 has been in development forever.

Considering Tekken 7 is absolute dog shit on Xbox One, this might be it.

UE4 should be king on Xbox One X with every 1st party MS dev using it and yet we have Namco who can't at least match it with a lesser hardware.

GG.

Rojiraan

Oct 30, 2017
Paris, France
Thanks a lot DF for this video. I was wondering how the final game was going to render, especially with UE4 combined with the TrueSky plugin. This looks really nice, and I'm happy you spoke about the music direction and its link with the gameplay, 'cause now I'm sure this game is on my list. I just need to buy a proper PC controller :D

I wonder what Kazutoki Kono & Bamco will do with the next Namco ancestor...
I mean Ridge Racer Type 4 Remake / RR8 of course :D

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
John..where can i buy that soundtrack. My goodness man. I feel like i've been missing out on something never having played any of these games now

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really hope they come back to the Xbox version. Both consoles shouldn't be performing so poorly, they are punching way below their weight comparing to the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Assume it's simply down to optimisation but this can be fixed in patches. I'm loving the game and it looks great but hopefully we will see a resolution and performance bump on X in the coming months.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
And the cycle perpetuates.

Bandai Namco releases poor port on XBOX. Game sells bad on XBOX. Self fulfilling prophecy.

See - Tekken 7
See - Tales of Vesperia DE
See - Ace Combat 7

I hope Bandai Namco doesn't do this shit with Jump Force.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I went with the Pro version because of PSVR but seems like I made the right call anyway, at least when it comes to console anyway.

Might pick up the PC version later, if modders work their magic and get VR working on the whole game in the future.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
...really tempted to buy Ace combat 5 and Ace combat 7 right now for myself...are those the most easy to find? i heard john say they are connected by story which kind of matters i guess?

Nah, each game is its own story, but they all take place in the same world. It doesn't really matter much.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
PC version delayed for fun???
The wait will be painful considering my choices are this or the Xbox one version sad times.

I'm sure people will be able to inject better aa isn't there a way to force taa in ue4 games

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly both the owners of a PRO or an X should be happy. The game looks sublime in 1080p. It's already an upgrade over base consoles, and the stability of the framerate is further improved too. Of course I'd like it to run at a better resolution but the devs did what they could with the time and budget they had. It's now up to you to vote with your wallet. I know I'm okay with it.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
It's the US version. At least, the download popped up initially with the Euro name but once downloaded, it appeared as the US version (The Unsung War).

Thanks for the quick reply!

In fact, I just got my preorder code as well and after installing, I can confirm the european preorder AC5 is The Unsung War instead of Squadron Leader. Pretty nice, as having to play AC5 in 50hz would have been kind of a bummer!

Last edited:

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Typical, and the PC version does't sound too impressive either. Looks good but I'm going to wait for a deep deep sale, sick of Japanese publishers being lazy and worse of all PSVR exclusivity for a year.

Whole country is lazy huh?

I guess we are all supposed to feel lucky we even get the game. It's one of the major problems when one system is completely dominating in sales.

Makes sense seeing second message in thread. Remember your username now. You're disgruntled the world doesn't appreciate Xbox.

OT:. We need a new generation. Hoping for early 2020 at the latest.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I guess it makes sense though when you realize it's a Japanese developed title, Xbox isn't super hot over there.
But then Japanese games like Soul Calibur VI and even Nier Automata showed a significant resolution advantage on the X over the Pro. I think Dark1x might have a point regarding the VR optimisation, but even then you'd expect those optimisations to carry over to the X given it has such a similar architecture. Strange. The XBO/S were definitely an afterthought.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
From the video, looks pretty darn impressive to me. Pop in on a game with this fast movement is going to be tough to get rid of, especially since they upped the geometric detail so much.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of nuts how much of a better package AC7 seems to be on PS4 Pro than the Xbox One X. Runs better, comes with the better pack in bonus title, has VR support.

I guess it makes sense though when you realize it's a Japanese developed title, Xbox isn't super hot over there.

So they only make money on games sold in Japan?

Pal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That kind of messages had weight in 2011-12 when most games had either flagrant issues with IQ or dramatic framerate instabilities or both. Games like Far Cry 3 showed the world how urgent it was to have a new console generation. AC7, with its sublime graphics, stable IQ and smooth 60fps on both enchanced consoles does not deserve to be part of the trend starters for such opinions.

If anything, this game proves the current console generation, assuming you have an enhanced console of course, still have what it takes in 2019.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
TAA on consoles but not on pc? Or no TAA on all platforms? Man, those volumetric clouds must be expensive to render.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Does holding the fire button in VR let you follow the missile ?

I can imagine not, for obvious VR reasons but it would be a hell of a ride, being strapped to the missile as it flies towards it's target lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I guess we are all supposed to feel lucky we even get the game. It's one of the major problems when one system is completely dominating in sales.
Makes sense seeing second message in thread. Remember your username now. You're disgruntled the world doesn't appreciate Xbox.

Pretty sure he's talking about PC, not Xbox, given what he's responding to.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That kind of messages had weight in 2011-12 when most games had either flagrant issues with IQ or dramatic framerate instabilities or both. Games like Far Cry 3 showed the world how urgent it was to have a new console generation. AC7, with its sublime graphics, stable IQ and smooth 60fps on both enchanced consoles does not deserve to be part of the trend starters for such opinions.

If anything, this game proves the current console generation, assuming you have an enhanced console of course, still have what it takes in 2019.

yep...we're talking about compromises at 60fps, not frequently under 30fps and barely a playable experience. even base Xbox one could be capped at 30fps and be basically locked at a higher res than it is now, and be perfectly fine.

The standards are completely different from last gen where these games were capped at 30 and going under that, and not only that, but sub HD as well

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
GameStop had put together some HOTAS flight stick bundles for PS4 & X1 and I only got the PS4 bundle because they sold out of the Xbox bundle so it seems to have worked out for me!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's interesting that having to reach PSVR performance targets they might have optimised the base game as well.

Anyway, great video, just finished watching it all :)

Already got the game but I enjoyed the "DF retro" part of this too.
One of the games in there, Ace combat 2, gave me a hefty flashback to an almost forgotten game called Delta Force. It used to render the UI and map points like this.. I'm actually missing that game. It was a very nice tactical FPS.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Ps4 pro is a beast ?

Strange to see such performance from this game. It looks good but nothing suggest it should have such high requirements

Pal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that having to reach PSVR performance targets they might have optimised the base game as well.

Anyway, great video, just finished watching it all :)

Already got the game but I enjoyed the "DF retro" part of this too.
One of the games in there, Ace combat 2, gave me a hefty flashback to an almost forgotten game called Delta Force. It used to render the UI and map points like this.. I'm actually missing that game. It was a very nice tactical FPS.

Ah yes, Delta Force. Voxel based graphics. It was both awesome and ugly at the same time :)