• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK

tl;dw

• Rich wants to wait for final code instead of using this examination as a final impression.
  • Not quite "Next-gen today" but still doing a lot with its visual tech.
  • Unexpected loading times, such as entering and exiting a corridor area.
  • Visual parity save for some LODs.
  • 1800p checkerboarding seems to be on all 3 platforms but requires more investigation by DF, including PC.
  • Framerate drops across both platforms. Technically unlocked but hovers slightly above and more often below 30fps. Often into mid 20's on X.
  • Pro runs slightly better than X in like comparisons, including during missions and combat.
  • Frame timing issues across both platforms.
  • 1080p output on pro alleviates some problems (40-50fps) but still no 30fps cap. "Hints" at 60fps ceiling in very minimalistic areas but isn't really relevant to overall gameplay.
  • Anthem offers an upgraded experience for PC users, to come in a later video.

[UPDATE] PC Beta Performance and Analysis

New video focusing on PC performance was posted a short while ago by Dictator giving some details on the Anthem Beta as well. The video is linked above, with the tl;dw listed below:

• Targetting 1080p60 across multiple configurations to match the performance profile of the PS4 Pro at 1080p mode
  • Mid-range testing consisted of i5 8400, GTX 1060/RX 580, 16GB DDR4 2667MHZ, SSD
    • 60fps is off the cards at 1080p Ultra. Hub sees dips to high 40's/50's, drops to mid 40's in combat
    • Below 60fps in the overworld
    • Medium settings preset below 1080p60
    • Low settings preset acheives some headroom above 60fps except in hub and firefights
    • Didn't expect attaining 60fps to be this challenging
    • Typically expect these cards to perform really well in Frostbyte games
    • GTX 1060 performance profile even lower than expected based on other Frostbyte games (footage not shown as it was lost)
    • CPU didn't seem to be a bottleneck in this scenario for the most part
  • Higher mid-range graphics cards were Vega 56 / GTX 1070
    • Vega 56 held above 60fps more consistently from the onset, but 1070 suffers heavily with drops below 60fps in firefights at Ultra settings, despite performing similarly to Vega while flying
    • Vega dips below 60 during some scenes, including a giant enemy crab boss. GTX 1070 suffers similarly, probably tying in to massage damage
    • Playing in the internal cave area yields much higher framerates due to lower scene complexity. Vega averages ~80fps allowing a lot of overhead for alpha effects in firefights, 1070 around ~60fps with some drops below
    • Probably not worth dropping graphics settings with these cards due to low performance gains for image quality trade-off
  • High-end testing uses RTX 2080 TI at Ultra Settings 4K
    • Alex didn't expect locked 4K60
    • Overworld sees drops into the 50's
    • Firefights mainly in the 40's
    • Dark1x played at 3840x1600 ultrawide resolution at 60fps in the overworld and hub but dropped frames heavily under 60 during firefights
  • Richard says his platform of preference is PC, given all the circumstances
  • AMD had an Anthem driver ready for this demo, Nvidia did not
  • Alex states that there is rendering tech and a world size being used in this game that isn't commonly used in other console Frostbyte games
  • Graphics options seemingly lacking or not having as much of an effect on fps as they should
    • Ultra settings down to High doesn't seem to have much of an effect, only when dropping to Medium is there a tangible difference (HBAO>SSAO, shadow resolution etc.) with an 18% performance gain
    • Low settings looks rough compared to Ultra, turns off a lot of settings, such as AA, SSAO, DOF and heavily affects shadows for a 21% performance gain
    • Performance scaling is bad
    • No DX12 options
    • No HDR controls in game, disabling in Windows did not work - Had to disable HDR on the display
    • Some graphical bugs on AMD hardware
  • Need a deeper dive into specific Graphics options and what they do
  • Firefights are the biggest offender for performance loss, probably due to heavy use of alpha effects
  • Comparing gameplay type and performance to Warframe and Destiny 2 states that with such an emphasis on combat, more should have been done to optimise this area of gameplay
  • CPU utilisation hit 100% and hit performance heavily, seemingly stopping by itself in Richard's case, but Alex needed to close the game for it to stop
  • Loading screens seem to be random and occur during missions and traversal
  • Alex needed to load an area twice whereas Richard only needed to load the area once.
Okay so that was a long one but I wanted to do the information justice. Quite a lot to take in there, and this section will be threadmarked and updated in the OP as well. Let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The loading screens within missions in the open world is really jarring and unfortunate if they're gonna be in the final product

Oct 26, 2017
So the X demo has weird visual things that Pro doesn't have, resolution wise it seems to be the same and Pro has the framerate advantage too?

How? Seriously, how? Jesus guys take a look at Rockstar maybe?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This game and KH3 show us that the lack of option to force the game to run at 1080p on X is a big omission.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They wont delay the game to keep in the Fiscal Year, i fear after the demo that the game will be a technical mess.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear them also say its still a very nice looking game.
As some people said it looked like a early gen game lol.

Hope a 30fps lock is in the final build after optimization.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Seems weird to me to do a face off of a Demo which has been said to be several months old.

With that said, for me, Anthem Beta has been a letdown graphically on the One X. Seems like the quality varies greatly between areas, with the "town' itself being the most disappointing so far.

I'll wait for the final version and use the EA Access 10 hour trial to make my conclusions.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good lawd devs needs to stop forcing their garbage-ass pseudo-4K resolutions on us at the expense of framerate.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Good to hear them also say its still a very nice looking game.
As some people said it looked like a early gen game lol.

Hope a 30fps lock is in the final build after optimization.
I decided to add this to the tl;dw because it felt a bit damning, even though it's still a very nice looking game

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the final code will be different. However I'm sure there will be a patch in the near feature to try to lock it

Oct 26, 2017
If the resolution on X had been significantly higher than Pro, then I could understand the framerate being worse. That has happened before with multiplatform games. But resolution wise it seems to be extremely close if not exactly the same. Then how is this happening with a significantly more powerful system I wonder?

Jan 10, 2018
It might just be the biggest downgrade I've ever seen. It looked absolutely fantastic initially but ended up not even looking good. It's a huge shame since it really hurts the atmosphere and feeling of exploration. In that first trailer you really wanted to go into that forest and see what was hidden in the vegetation. Looking at it today there barely is any vegetation in comparison. Everything looks so flat and outdated.

BaseD2

Nov 14, 2017
The loading screens within missions in the open world is really jarring and unfortunate if they're gonna be in the final product

This was probably most surprising to me that it wasn't seamless like Destiny or even Borderlands 2.

Edit: I take back the BL2, I remember loading now but normally you knew it was coming entering/exiting areas

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Seems weird to me to do a face off of a Demo which has been said to be several months old.

With that said, for me, Anthem Beta has been a letdown graphically on the One X. Seems like the quality varies greatly between areas, with the "town' itself being the most disappointing so far.

I'll wait for the final version and use the EA Access 10 hour trial to make my conclusions.
This is I believe why Richard said that a full proper comparison will be done with final code, but due to the nature of DFs business it doesn't make sense for them to not have this "initial look" when it is a representation of what the final code will resemble

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive downgrade. I have no interest in destiny style games, but was still keeping my eye on this purely fo the visuals.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I played on the one X, it has some areas (not the ones in the missions but in free roam) were the framerate dropped on the lower 20s.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The framerate better be improved in the final game. I hated the way the demo performed. Unplayable for my taste. I am very sensitive to bad framerates.

Performance & Resolution Breakdown

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
4K (same perceived resolution between both machines)
XBX about 25fps (rarely reaches 30fps during normal gameplay, usually 25-28fps)
Pro about 30fps (uncapped fps)

Pro at 1080p
about 40fps-60fps, usually 40-45fps during normal gameplay.

Best versions: Pro at 1080p > Pro at 4K > XBX

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
4K (same perceived resolution between both machines)
XBX about 25fps (rarely reaches 30fps during normal gameplay, usually 25-28fps)
Pro about 30fps (uncapped fps)

Pro at 1080p
about 40fps-60fps, usually 40-45fps during normal gameplay.

Best versions: Pro at 1080p > Pro at 4K > XBX

Now this is just weird.

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
If the resolution on X had been significantly higher than Pro, then I could understand the framerate being worse. That has happened before with multiplatform games. But resolution wise it seems to be extremely close if not exactly the same. Then how is this happening with a significantly more powerful system I wonder?

Lack of optimization. Like Ace Combat...

Nov 30, 2018
Between reveal and release..that definitely got downgraded unfortunately

Prob still get it with GCU and a $10 gift card

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
After playing Battlefield V a lot on the one X I refuse to believe that these guys can't get frostbite to run like a dream on that console!

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the X demo has weird visual things that Pro doesn't have, resolution wise it seems to be the same and Pro has the framerate advantage too?

How? Seriously, how? Jesus guys take a look at Rockstar maybe?

It's a joke. As an X owner but as someone who is lucky enough to have a decent PC I'm just going to play there, a week early to boot and it will only cost me £15 vs £42 on console.

If I was to play on console I'd take 900p/60fps on the X or 1080p/locked 30fps over the mess that was the first demo. Some of the worst framedrops this gen for a AAA game along with some of the most unresponsive controls I've ever experienced. RDR2 levels at times which just doesn't work for the type of game Anthem is. It controls like a different game on PC and is one of the best playing shooters since Vanquish when going between shooting, abilities, flying and hovering.

Is Dictator doing a full on PC DF video for Anthem? Hopefully he compares the Ultra settings to the reveal since some people actually believe it's close lol...

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I played the Tech Test on PC and it looked and ran great. But as it was nearly unplayable with m/kb and I used a controller anyway on PC, I tried the VIP Demo on One X. Graphics looked worse and it just felt awful at times (you really feel those big dips below 30 fps). Not sure, maybe going back to PC and sticking to controller usage in this case. Looks like it will be the best option in the end, even if I like playing on my big 4K screen with HDR instead of my (smaller) 1440p PC screen. But at least, I'll get 60 fps instead of 24 (at times) fps then.

I know the talk about "old build", but seriously, the tech beta build had less issues than the VIP demo build ;) and yes those loading times are annoying, same goes for "free play" and changing areas in the "open world".

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's a joke. As an X owner but as someone who is lucky enough to have a decent PC I'm just going to play there, a week early to boot and it will only cost me £15 vs £42 on console.

If I was to play on console I'd take 900p/60fps on the X or 1080p/locked 30fps over the mess that was the first demo. Some of the worst framedrops this gen for a AAA game along with some of the most unresponsive controls I've ever experienced. RDR2 levels at times which just doesn't work for the type of game Anthem is.

IS Dictator doing a full on PC video for Anthem? Hopefully he compares the Ultra settings to the reveal since some people actually believe it's close lol...
PC video is probably going out tomorrow from our impressions of the demo last weekend :D

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is bizarre. I thought MS had marketing rights for Anthem?

I figured they would have tried with the X version.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Battlefield V a lot on the one X I refuse to believe that these guys can't get frostbite to run like a dream on that console!

Frostbite games usually see a pretty big jump to final release compared to earlier builds. Indeed BFV runs great on Xbox One X. The beta on the other hand dropped quite alot down in the 50's or lower.
Where now its locked 60 or even close.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Those loading times while entering another "corridor area" were really annoying.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow the 1080p mode on ps4pro has been a real lifesaver lately

RDR2
Kingdom Hearts 3
and now Anthem

All run WAY better with 1080p forced from OS. The framerate gain is also quite large in very case

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
As i said earlier. It seems that only DICE can work with the frostbite engine. This game should hit 30 fps locked easily on consoles.