• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was pretty rough on X1X last time. Managed 60-80 at 1440p on PC which was a night and day difference.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
because these consoles are severely underpowered to push 4K, even checkerboarded....would have been better to just stay at 1080p for the rest of this gen
Is this any wonder? Even a RTX 2080 for 700€ struggles with native 4K & 60 fps. And a RTX 2080 Ti costs more than 1000€.

It works in some games like the wipEout Omega Collection, but I prefer 1080p as well.

Last gen most devs aimed for 720p although some games like Virtua Tennis 3 run in 1080p on PS3 and Xbox 360. Fable Anniversary only runs in 1080p and it's a worse game because of that.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Or Anthem plays best at 51 fps LOL

Still, Even DF have to pander to the PS generation for their Youtube clicks, no doubt after they praised Red Dead II on the One X a little too much, they not need to try and dish out some One X knocking. I expect it off most of the Eurogamer team, but I'm surprised at Rich going to such a level. Still, he experienced similar levels of negative feedback, when the brilliant Maximum magazine didn't pander to the PS generation and talked up systems like the Saturn, at a huge cost to the readership numbers.

Not saying they are out to " get " the Xbox or pander to one side or the other .. they go back and forth but they definitely go more for the controversy these days. But then again thats everyone on YouTube .

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happens on the x if you force output to 1080p 120hz?

You don't get any performance increase in games? Like better than running in 1800p as far as fps?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What happens on the x if you force output to 1080p 120hz?

You don't get any performance increase in games? Like better than running in 1800p as far as fps?
No. What Microsoft did (which overall I think IS the right move) was make it invisible to the developer. So the developer has no idea what resolution the console has selected. This has avoided a lot of problems, but in cases like this and KH3 where the developer has provided for different results if the console is set to 1080p or 4K on PS4 pro, but hasn't coded a way of letting Xbox players choose between those options in game, X owners can be a bit left out.

You should never have to quit the game, change the system resolution, and reload it. Different modes should all be selectable in game, ideally.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mid 20s on the x is a joke. Devs need to stop prioritizing higher resolutions and go 1080p, 60 fps or at the very least always offer a 1080p high framerate option.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Mid 20s on the x is a joke. Devs need to stop prioritizing higher resolutions and go 1080p, 60 fps or at the very least always offer a 1080p high framerate option.
I don't think resolution is the issue here given it's (seemingly) running at the same resolution as the Pro and still similar or worse performance. Clearly something weird going on which hopefully will get fixed at some point.
DF is pushing the pro 'twist' lately to gain clicks it seems. I'm surprised they didn't go for another " how does it compare? The results may shock you!" Tabloid headline again.
No. They're just telling it how it is. And it's unacceptable that the X version is worse - keeping in mind it uses the same architecture as Pro, has 44% more powerful GPU, 10% faster CPU and 50% more GDDR5. It makes no sense. So it should absolutely be outed.

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this needs another 6 months of technical polish before release but we know that won't happen

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
DF is pushing the pro 'twist' lately to gain clicks it seems. I'm surprised they didn't go for another " how does it compare? The results may shock you!" Tabloid headline again.
What ? They don't even spoil the thing in their title or subtitle. This is the title or their RDR2 article:
Red Dead Redemption 2 looks and plays best on Xbox One X
That was even innacurate as it plays best on Pro.

This is their Resident Evil 2 title:
Resident Evil 2 remake plays best on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

Now compare this with the KH3 video (the game plays best on Pro):
Kingdom Hearts 3 Plays Best At 60fps - But Which Console Gets Closest?

And now their Anthem video title (the game plays best on Pro):
Anthem Console First Look: Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro Head-To-Head!

You notice a pattern ?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC video is probably going out tomorrow from our impressions of the demo last weekend :D

I look forward to it. Not sure if I'm getting Anthem but, after watching your head-to-head here, this is probably going to be a game that I would only consider buying on PC. 20-30fps or 30-50fps with that kind of fluctuation isn't ideal for a shooter, as you guys mention.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What ? They don't even spoil the thing in their title or subtitle. This is the title or their RDR2 article:

You notice a pattern ?

They really got you heated huh?

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You notice a pattern ?

RDR 2 does not play best on Pro.

But whatever, stop whining.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, that's not good.

The difference between this and the Destiny alpha, which was a rock-solid 30fps even at that early stage, is pretty remarkable.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bioware isn't known for graphics or performance, especially on consoles. Ever since KOTOR their games have been running like shit. This is why I buy most of their games on PC.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

You notice a pattern ?

RDR2 is absolutely best on X. Resident Evil is better on Pro, imo, due to the sharper image. I own both versions btw. Kingdom Hearts plays a lot smoother on Pro at 1080P. I bought the X version and after playing the beginning, bought the Pro version for a smoother experience. Everything DF is saying is factual, it's just not what you want to hear.

Oct 31, 2017
Whoa, didn't expect this result at all.

Crazy its runs better on the Pro while maintaining basically the same graphics as the X version.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This game and KH3 show us that the lack of option to force the game to run at 1080p on X is a big omission.

You dot force the game to run in 1080p, you have to set the internal resolution for multiple screen types. They could have put a resolution toggle in game as other games have , but they haven't in this demo.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
On PC I didn't really like this beta, the graphics looked very inconsistent, and not all that impressive. The game for me ran fine, 70-80 fps at 1440p, but the mouse and keyboard controls were terrible.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
RDR 2 does not play best on Pro.

But whatever, stop whining.

au contraire, Pro's forced 1080p mode is the only way to play RDR2 with a 100% locked 30 FPS without any drops, so that poster is right .. RDR2 does *play* the best on Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiXyBebIXQ

1jdkyk.png

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
What ... just pointing something out. Pro's forced 1080p mode has shown unique benefits for performance in at least 2 high profile games now.

So the fact you have to wave goodbye to over half the available pixel count that is available on X to achieve these few extra frames means Pro is performing better?
It's like we are back at the start of this gen when people were saying X1 was performing better than PS4 because it was getting a few extra frames at 720p Vs 1080p. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So the fact you have to wave goodbye to over half the available pixel count that is available on X to achieve these few extra frames means Pro is performing better?
It's like we are back at the start of this gen when people were saying X1 was performing better than PS4 because it was getting a few extra frames at 720p Vs 1080p. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

You'd be surprised at how some people can be sticklers for performance over visuals. It's a worthy trade off for some.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
yea I don't understand why every EA studio has to use frostbite. Bioware did a pretty good job with Unreal Engine during PS360 days, just let them work with unreal....
From what I recall, 30% of your top line REVENUE had to go to Unreal back in the day. Not Profits, but just revenue. EA was losing tons of money during that era because of this. Since then, a lot of companies moved off of Unreal, and there was also the rise of Unity. It forced Epic to drastically reduce their licensing fees to only 5% now.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Too many technical issues to buy this at launch. Clearly, they're just trying to push this out before the end of the fiscal year. Honestly, it should probably be delayed.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Ea will probably issue a patch that would fix performance issues on the X but those that are saying the graphics are basically the same between pro and x is hilarious.

Eurogamer Article States near-complete build doesn't suffer performance issues of demo build

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
You'd be surprised at how some people can be sticklers for performance over visuals. It's a worthy trade off for some.

Microsoft should just mandate 720p/60 for X1X from now on so they can get the attention of the framerate over visuals crowd and resoundingly declare 'Plays best on Xbox one X'.
:)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This isnt a nice thing to say and wildly untrue. Do you know how insulting that is? You're the one making conspiracy theories here.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This isnt a nice thing to say and wildly untrue. Do you know how insulting that is? You're the one making conspiracy theories here.
I think anyone with a well-reasoned thinking process can see that this isn't the case. Water off of your feathers John, you guys do amazing work as usual and most of us are thankful for it 👍

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This really makes me wish that that all games on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 offered a actual resolution selector as a performance option.

Sometimes you want to prioritize framerate over resolution. Having the option to select your resolution is the best solution.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

Dark, I really feel for you mate. The amount of shade thrown on you in these forums for simply trying to provide the kind of content people here say they crave, is just embarrassing.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
This really makes me wish that that all games on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 offered a actual resolution selector as a performance option.

Sometimes you want to prioritize framerate over resolution. Having the option to select your resolution is the best solution.

Yeah, like I say, all those Pro owners dying to play Spiderman at 720/60 really need to be listened to.

Most games just aren't built that way.