• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
This is true, the PS4 Pro solution is hardly elegant. But at least it is something a user can do. The XBX is always down scaling from a higher resolution and while it works great in most cases .. we at least have a case of two where there's users asking for a native 1080p mode. Considering how user-friendly MS has been, it shouldn't be a big ask for them to have some kind of option for users who may want to disable forced super sampling.

I see your point but I think MS including an option for 1080p to achieve some kind of frame rate sweet spot would court more criticism for them than be beneficial. Hell they get enough flak from enthusiasts over their promises of 4k gaming.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
wow the 1080p mode on ps4pro has been a real lifesaver lately

RDR2
Kingdom Hearts 3
and now Anthem

All run WAY better with 1080p forced from OS. The framerate gain is also quite large in very case
I remember many people felt that the XB1X setup is ideal (including DF), that forcing SS on every game is better than Sony's solution. But I always felt that giving us the choice to force 1080p without SS in favor of performance ala PS4 Pro is better. Why force SS on every title? We all know console performance is not always perfect. Sure there aren't many titles that this benefits, but choice is better IMO.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Dark1x
Can you drop any clues as to what the next DF retro might be? Are there going to be anymore 16-bit offerings in the near future?

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think resolution is the issue here given it's (seemingly) running at the same resolution as the Pro and still similar or worse performance. Clearly something weird going on which hopefully will get fixed at some point.

I was referring to the fact that ps4 has the ability to push out a 1080p mode with an unlocked framerate that fluctuates in the 40s and 50s. This should be an option in the game for ps4 pro and xbox one x. Infact the game should have both a 1080p 30 fps lock mode and a 1080p unlocked fps mode for ps4 pro and xb1x.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Why force SS on every title? We all know console performance is not always perfect. Sure there aren't many titles that this benefits, but choice is better IMO.

Because these mid gen refresh machines were trumpeted for their 4K presentation. In all honestly, I believe Pro is the only console with the option to eliminate SS right now because of how lacking it is at delivering that promise.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I had no initial attachment to this game, and now seeing the overt technical lie of the reveal next to the demo, I doubt that I ever will. Game structure that splits missions into multiple load-times in an "open world" is a red-flag to pretty fundemental design and technology shortcomings.

Last edited:

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Because these mid gen refresh machines were trumpeted for their 4K presentation. In all honestly, I believe Pro is the only console with the option to eliminate SS right now because of how lacking it is at delivering that promise.
That doesn't give me any more reason to believe that having an option to disable SS is not the better option. Not every X title has perfect performance... far from it.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Damn lies. Complete CG lies by EA. But i hope some enjoy this and the BioWare devs i remmember fondly from the 1st mass effect vision, find sucess where Andromeda fiasco didn't.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
My 1070/6600k can barely run this at 1080p on high settings at 60fps. It drops down to 30 at times, performance is horrible.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This really makes me wish that that all games on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 offered a actual resolution selector as a performance option.

Sometimes you want to prioritize framerate over resolution. Having the option to select your resolution is the best solution.
Yes. Hopefully Microsoft and Sony mandate this next gen

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance is terrible on the X, I'm not usually one to be affected by performance issues, but i couldn't play more than 20mins without getting a headache from the framerate.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Make sure you use borderless.

Oh is that it? Seems like fullscreen doesn't have triple buffering so you get hard drops to 30fps.

Performance is terrible on the X, I'm not usually one to be affected by performance issues, but i couldn't play more than 20mins without getting a headache from the framerate.

Some people still find the 1X performance fine, I just don't get it. It's horrible and completely destroys the feel of the movement in this game.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't give me any more reason to believe that having an option to disable SS is not the better option. Not every X title has perfect performance... far from it.

Think of the examples where 1080p without SS is touted as a plus on Pro. I can only think of two. One of those games is RDR2, a game with poor IQ on Pro when weighed against X1X's 4K presentation. So much so that a drop to 1080p left some people reporting experiences of a cleaner image over Pros (4K) max visuals, and also a slight bump in performance.
Then there's KH3 where the Pro's performance in default mode is so bad (even running at a lower Res than X1X) that dropping the Res down to 1080p is preferable to playing the game with its high resolution,a benefit which most Pro users purchased the console for.
A user that wants to drop almost all X1X games all the way down to 1080p for the sake of a few frames is an extremely marginal fraction of the user base, as it should be if the hardware is doing it's job as advertised.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Think of the examples where 1080p without SS is touted as a plus on Pro. I can only think of two. One of those games is RDR2, a game with poor IQ on Pro when weighed against X1X's 4K presentation. So much so that a drop to 1080p left some people reporting experiences of a cleaner image over Pros (4K) max visuals, and also a slight bump in performance.
Then there's KH3 where the Pro's performance in default mode is so bad (even running at a lower Res than X1X) that dropping the Res down to 1080p is preferable to playing the game with its high resolution,a benefit which most Pro users purchased the console for.
A user that wants to drop almost all X1X games all the way down to 1080p for the sake of a few frames is an extremely marginal fraction of the user base, as it should be if the hardware is doing it's job as advertised.

It should still be an option at system level, especially for people still on 1080p TVs. Kingdom Hearts 2 is absolutely crying for that option on 1X, it could potentially run at mostly 60fps instead of constantly dropping down to the 40s. Someone who bothers with buying a Pro console in the first place probably has a high chance of caring about frame rate. One of the main reasons I bought them was because I was sick of playing games at sub 30fps but you still get that type of performance a lot since developers just keep pushing resolution.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The vsync is double buffered otherwise, so any drops below are pretty rough and immediate feeling. I did not test to see if it would mean a lower overall performance or something. I doubt it, very much so.

Double buffered vsync ... man. I thought most companies would have enforced built-in triple buffering by now.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It should still be an option at system level, especially for people still on 1080p TVs. Kingdom Hearts 2 is absolutely crying for that option on 1X, it could potentially run at mostly 60fps instead of constantly dropping down to the 40s.

So we've narrowed it down to one game. In the case of KH3 maybe the onus is on the dev to implement this option? X1X only seems to need a dynamic Res implementation to achieve solid 60, not vanilla 1080?

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It should still be an option at system level, especially for people still on 1080p TVs. Kingdom Hearts 2 is absolutely crying for that option on 1X, it could potentially run at mostly 60fps instead of constantly dropping down to the 40s.

So we've narrowed it down to one game. In the case of KH3 maybe the onus is on the dev to implement this option? X1X only seems to need a dynamic Res implementation to achieve solid 60, not vanilla 1080?

Oct 26, 2017
Player the demo all evening on X and the framerate is indeed far from stable, still it didn't ruin the experience completely for me. That's not to say I don't want a stable framerate though. I really hope BioWare is hard at work on optimizing it for the X. Even if it's a crystal clear downgrade it's still a great looking game and it should look and perform the best it possibly can on X. Come on BioWare.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah no, there's a lot of other examples but that's just the one that people complain about the most. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a game that didn't get close to a locked frame rate on either modes. I would have taken a 1080p/30 mode for that game. AC Odyssey is another game that has sub 30fps performance and stuttering so a 1080p option might have helped there as well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will NOT be surprised if Anthem is a disaster at launch. If anything, it should be expected by now. After all, it's EA and with Anthem being a live service game, all they care about is getting you in day one and then fix the problems later on. Visually, not a surprise at all as once I saw it at E3 2017, I told my friend that it's running off a high end power PC. No way in hell was that running on a console including Xbox One X as there was just no way.

My interest is minimal at best. Will wait on reviews and gameplay videos once the game actually launches before making a decision. Gameplay, combat and flying around looks good and could be a lot of fun but not if there's technical issues on launch day.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah no, there's a lot of other examples but that's just the one that people complain about the most. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a game that didn't get close to a locked frame rate on either modes. I would have taken a 1080p/30 mode for that game. AC Odyssey is another game that has sub 30fps performance and stuttering so a 1080p option might have helped there as well.

If you bought either Pro or X1X with the hope of playing huge third party releases such as those ones you mentioned at 1080/30 then those machines definitely were never meant for you.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
How do I activate "performance mode" on Ps4 pro?
If there's no option in-game (I'm playing on PC, but I own a Pro), go into your PS4 settings, under display mode, and set the resolution from 2160p to 1080p, and turn off supersampling. Now the Pro is outputting standard PS4 visuals, at much higher framerates (depending on the game, typically).

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you so defensive about this? Why do you keep bringing up Pro? Why would almost all games drop down to 1080p?

Keep SS on by default. Give an OPTION to disable it. It's not about which games Pro offers better performance due to this option, it's about how many games don't offer 100% locked frames on X and people that would like the OPTION to sacrifice IQ to give you better performance. Why would it hurt to have this option and why is forcing SS on every title better than having a toggle?

FWIW, I'm not saying Pro is ideal either, but at least you have options.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If you bought either Pro or X1X with the hope of playing huge third party releases such as those ones you mentioned at 1080/30 then those machines definitely were never meant for you.

I never said 1080/30, I said 30fps. Expecting a so called premium console to at least hold 30fps properly isn't some outrageous expectation. We're not even asking developers themselves to put performance first anymore because it's clear a lot of them won't and aren't going to. We're literally asking Microsoft to put in an option (that already exists on the PS4 Pro) that might help brute force better frame rate at the expense of image quality. When Tomb Raider has a 4K mode that runs at 25fps with frequent screen tearing that's an issue to me. I mean what are you even arguing against at this point?

I just named 2 games that came out within the last 6 months and you just deflected with something you just made up in your own head. You could easily come up with a lot more that run at extremely high resolution but have sub 30fps dips constantly. Hitman 2 is another one.

Dec 31, 2017
Why are you so defensive about this? Why do you keep bringing up Pro? Why would almost all games drop down to 1080p?

Keep SS on by default. Give an OPTION to disable it. It's not about which games Pro offers better performance due to this option, it's about how many games don't offer 100% locked frames on X and people that would like the OPTION to sacrifice IQ to give you better performance. Why would it hurt to have this option and why is forcing SS on every title better than having a toggle?

FWIW, I'm not saying Pro is ideal either, but at least you have options.
I think it's even easier than that. Why can't people just do what MS suggested early on and instead have a locked frame rate with dynamic resolution. That way you always hit the target FPS and have a stable experience while at the same time have it already "patched" for next gen as it will always be running in 4K on stronger hardware. And dynamic resolution isn't that big of a deal imo as it's not that noticeable in most cases.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Just finished my first mission of demo. Canceled preorder. Looks awful and runs awful.

Not paying full price for launch issues and content given this things. I'll wait and see how things shake out in a month.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember many people felt that the XB1X setup is ideal (including DF), that forcing SS on every game is better than Sony's solution. But I always felt that giving us the choice to force 1080p without SS in favor of performance ala PS4 Pro is better. Why force SS on every title? We all know console performance is not always perfect. Sure there aren't many titles that this benefits, but choice is better IMO.
Have the choice in the game setting is the best thing ever but in the UI goosh no. The coherency.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

Keep SS on by default. Give an OPTION to disable it. It's not about which games Pro offers better performance due to this option, it's about how many games don't offer 100% locked frames and people that would like the OPTION to sacrifice IQ and give you better performance.

It's not a defensive attitude, it's a practical one.
I bring up the Pro because to achieve a framerate boost in these games you have to drop to 1080p! And it's not like it's a widespread feature. There's a reason for that.

There is no way of boosting frames on either mid gen supported games without dropping the Res to 1080p.

If you're arguing for total scalability in consoles that's a whole other argument and one which console makers have never showed interest in.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I never said 1080/30, I said 30fps. Expecting a so called premium console to at least hold 30fps properly isn't some outrageous expectation. We're not even asking developers themselves to put performance first anymore because it's clear a lot of them won't and aren't going to. We're literally asking Microsoft to put in an option (that already exists on the PS4 Pro) that might help brute force better frame rate at the expense of image quality. When Tomb Raider has a 4K mode that runs at 25fps with frequent screen tearing that's an issue to me. I mean what are you even arguing against at this point?

I just named 2 games that came out within the last 6 months and you just deflected with something you just made up in your own head. You could easily come up with a lot more that run at extremely high resolution but have sub 30fps dips constantly. Hitman 2 is another one.

So there is an option for a 1080p/30 lock for Rise on Pro?

Also name me a premium console that's always offered locked framerates, across all games while you're at it. I'll wait.....

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So there is an option for a 1080p/30 lock for Rise on Pro?

Also name me a premium console that's always offered locked framerates, across all games while you're at it. I'll wait.....

Yes, that's the entire point. The PS4 Pro has a system level option to run every game at 1080p which is what people are asking for on the 1X.

What premium/Pro consoles did we have before this generation?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell ? This is the fourth games run better on PS4 Pro this year.
Yeah I just noticed this too. I wonder what are DF's thoughts on this. This can't be a coincidence that so many big titles caught up to and even surpassed XBX in performance in 2019. Did Sony unlock additional performance to developers?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Funny how you only picked forced parity from my post.

Wow.
The only other aspect you emphasised is 'bad ports' which isn't relevant to this title i.e. each release platform is being curated at the same rate at the same time. However, you did open up with 'console parity' so...what else?

Anyways I don't think there's a case for this at all. It's a game with a few oddities...much like every other game ever released. I can only assume your catalogue of games must be quite small and not at all enjoyable.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just noticed this too. I wonder what are DF's thoughts on this. This can't be a coincidence that so many big titles caught up to and even surpassed XBX in performance in 2019. Did Sony unlock additional performance to developers?

No aditional performance "unlock" could bring parity let one superior performance over XBX, the silicon advantage is big to be overcomed by "unlocking" performance for developers.