• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

During the demo phase, Anthem on PS4 Pro and even the standard PS4 managed to produce higher frame-rates than Xbox One X. Is that still the case with final code? And how do PS4 Pro's 4K and 1080p modes compare? The month began with Anthem coverage, and now it draws to a close with final thoughts and analysis.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

Visuals:
- Base PS4 presents more smoothly than the demo.
- PS4 Pro: 1080p mode and 4K mode still present. 30 FPS cap enforced on all versions (including base). No more unlocked frame rate.
- HDR support has been restored.
- Dynamic res confirmed across all consoles. (including base PS4)
- Can vary from 80% to full buffer (whether it's 1080p on base PS4 or 4K on mid-gens). PS4 Pro likely relying on checker board rendering.
- CB rendering commended as 'outstanding' with CB evidence only visible upon zooming in.
- Texture quality is a match, however in some instance X shows higher quality art.
- In some select scenes, Pro has reduced shadows compared to X, but mostly they're same.

Performance:
- Frame rate gap between 4K modes on Pro and X is much closer but Pro is still a touch smoother than X
- Pro 4K mode vs Base PS4: Performance is very similar, 30 FPS target but neither is 100% locked with small dips.
- Standard PS4 more heavily impacted from streaming issues.
- Big explosive effects can cause bigger dips on Pro compared to Base.
- Pro's 1080p mode is effectively locked through out. Performance dips from 4K mode are gone.
- Entering new areas can cause streaming related hitches even at 1080p, but much less so than other PS4 modes.
- Pro @ 1080p "only console model where I (Rich) wasn't bothered by hiccups"
- "It's the best way to play Anthem on consoles, but not visually the most pleasing"

Ranking:
- Base Xbox continues to be the worst performing version. Base PS4 is third.
- X and Pro are trade offs, X has visual advantage but Pro has smoother performance (in 4K mode).
- Pro's 1080p mode is Rich's favorite way to play the game on consoles.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Removing unlocked framerate is disappointing to see. The added responsiveness is worth some judder. The Tomb Raider games have nailed in game options since the Pro's release and so many others still ignore it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Damn shame the game isn't great but the visuals are gorgeous.

Looks like they did a great job on the Pro version, looking very close to the more powerful X version in 4k mode and even running a little better, plus the 1080p locked 30fps is a nice bonus too.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like visually it's all really similar to each other, the enhanced consoles that is. Kinda expected that BioWare would do more with the X. At least should have made the performance just completely smooth on both. And in that regard the X certainly shouldn't be worse.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I cant see any point in '4k' modes when they cant even hold 30fps.
Yeah that's my takeaway from this as well, especially since they're using motion blur which blurs out that resolution gain. Plus, 30fps in a fast shooter??
Devs, start including graphics settings on console please!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda expected that BioWare would do more with the X.

With Anthem and Red Dead Redemption 2 we now have two games with pretty surprising results in that regard.
Anthem had a marketing deal with Microsoft and was promoted to take extra advantage of the X's capabilities, but overall the Pro version seems to be better optimized.
Red Dead Redemption 2 had a marketing deal with Playstation, only Pro footage was used to promote the game, but after release it turned out the Pro optimization was rather disappointing while the X optimization was great.

Feb 8, 2018
End of next-gen open world games and mid gen linear games will look incredible based on what is currently possible.

Engin

Oct 25, 2017
How many more anthem videos are they gonna do? There are so many other games to test. I don't think any game needs more than two DF videos. I love their work, which is the reason i want more videos with more games of them

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
With Anthem and Red Dead Redemption 2 we now have two games with pretty surprising results in that regard.
Anthem had a marketing deal with Microsoft and was promoted to take extra advantage of the X's capabilities, but overall the Pro version seems to be better optimized.
Red Dead Redemption 2 had a marketing deal with Playstation, only Pro footage was used to promote the game, but after release it turned out the Pro optimization was rather disappointing while the X optimization was great.
Maybe those two developers invested more time in greater optimization due to the pro have greater installbase compared to the X?

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if we will get performance and resolution modes at some point in the future? I recall BioWare stating something like that a few months prior to release.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
How many more anthem videos are they gonna do? There are so many other games to test. I don't think any game needs more than two DF videos. I love their work, which is the reason i want more videos with more games of them

I think this would be the last one, Richard started off with "rounding off our Anthem coverage".

Unless there is a major patch which makes some fundamental changes.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It really sounds like we are ready for Next Gen - all these unlocked framerates @ 4K means we'll kick off the next gen with very nice 4K/60.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Maybe those two developers invested more time in greater optimization due to the pro have greater installbase compared to the X?
This isn't an optimisation issue, they just wanted to tick that native 4k box. If they simply lowered the resolution slightly on the X then performance would be fine or better. They really should provide options and at the very least a performance more. Even on the Pro, it's a PITA having to change your display options to 1080p, should be a menu option for this in the game.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah good point. RDR2 was quite the surprise in terms of that.

This isn't an optimisation issue, they just wanted to tick that native 4k box. If they simply lowered the resolution slightly on the X then performance would be fine or better. They really should provide options and at the very least a performance more. Even on the Pro, it's a PITA having to change your display options to 1080p, should be a menu option for this in the game.

But not even on X it's constantly native 4K. They say in the video it's dynamic across both enhanced consoles. Ah well.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but whilst it's dynamic it's still locked to a higher range. They really should have made the dynamic resolution more aggressive or set it to a lower resolution range.
When they're talking about the Pro's 1080p mode, they mention there's still some hitches even there but those are more likely because of CPU bottleneck or storage related concerns.

So, I doubt making the dynamic resolution threshold will 100% eliminate the issues.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When they're talking about the Pro's 1080p mode, they mention there's still some hitches even there but those are more likely because of CPU bottleneck or storage related concerns.

So, I doubt making the dynamic resolution threshold will 100% eliminate the issues.
No but it would bring X performance at least in line with Pro's 4k mode performance.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointed the uncapped 1080p mode was removed, but it was to be expected given the patch notes ahead of release. Was great to play on the Pro but obviously suboptimal for it's intended platform, the base PS4. Hopefully they can add it in again via in-game options before it gets a half price discount.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It looks fantastic on Pro but yea it has its drops. I still can't get over how good it looks sometimes especially with all the spell effects going off it's quite the spectacle. I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me want to play it more.