• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Dynamic 4k
  • XB1X's lowest dynamic resolution is higher than the PS4 Pro's highest dynamic resolution.
  • PS4 Pro max: 2816x1584
  • PS4 Pro min: 2227x1242
  • PS4 Pro Average: 2560x1440
  • XB1X max: 3840x2160 (native 4k)
  • XB1X min: 2944x1656
  • XB1X average: 3072x1728
  • XB1X a 76% increase in output pixels vs PS4 Pro in opening battle, 44% on average.
  • XB1X has better draw distances and shadows.
  • XB1X has improved Ambient Occlusion
  • Framerate is a fairly solid 30fps on both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, but can be inconsistent.
Xbox One X is clearly the superior experience of the two consoles here.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Interesting. Overall a good showing and as expected Xbox One X pulls ahead by a decent amount, visually.

I really wish these games came with an optional 60FPS mode with lower resolution for those interested.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Really glad those colour differences in the shoddy early comparison didn't hold true. What a fantastic game this has been to really show what the X is capable of. What a fantastic purchase it has been.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both dynamic 4k res and Xbox X can archieve native 4k, but only if you look to the sky. I remember the same scene on Witcher 3. PS4pro otherwise can't reach that.
FPS not that stable on both machines.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Any spoilers in the video?

Yes. From the early parts of the game, don't watch if you don't want anything spoiled.

On topic. Liabe Brave was spot on with his 1440p on Pro assessment. Having put in 50+ hours, the game scales real nice to a 4K display and the TAA does well to hide whenever the game is scaling resolution frequently. 1440p with a much better frame rate than Origins's was at launch makes this a fantastic game for the enhanced console(s).

Hopefully with future patches, they iron out the remaining 1, 2 FPS drops that the video showcase. Though, I gotta say, there are areas where frame rate does drop more notably later on in the game beyond the first island, so the DF results aren't 100% indicative of the full game experience either.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2944x1656 - 3072x1728 will look really nice with TAA on the One X :)

Happy with the results! Coming from playing Origins on the Pro, I'm glad that they retained the lack of loading when exiting the eagle vision on the X!

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Pro average coming to the common conclusion that the Pro GPU is perfect for 1440p gaming (at console settings).

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Tom really needs to slow down a bit, his speech is peak slur in this vid.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Pro average coming to the common conclusion that the Pro GPU is perfect for 1440p gaming (at console settings).

However, doesn't look like Odyssey is using any kind of re-creation. 4K is suitable for Pro with decent recreation with CB rendering or other similar techniques I guess.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is what I expect out of red dead 2. Xbox lowest resolution higher than the ps4 pros highest. I said gat daaayuuum. Xbox with higher draw distance and effects. Crazy.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a decent upgrade for X, considering there is also better shadows and draw distance. However, on a 1080p projector sitting at a decent distance as I game, not bothered by the res difference. I downscale.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
How is the downsampling on X on a 1080p TV with dynamic resolution? Is it more notable (artifacts)?

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own both an X and a Pro. Went with the pro version simply because I have 2 PS4s at home, and right now with young kid I can't be hunkered down in the basement all the time (one PS4 is upstairs). Bummer!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the point in adding a few more pixels if it is still 30fps.
Double the framerate would have so much more impact than a slightly higher resolution.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
And people expect native 4K with Red Dead Redemption 2 when not even this game can hit anywhere close to that.
Checkerboard 4K is here to stay and I much prefer it that way.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That's still a huge discrepancy.

I really wish the Pro wasn't so much worse from a hardware perspective. I play almost everything on my One X and have a $400 dust collector under my TV the 300 days a year that I'm not playing a PS exclusive.

that's pretty much where mine is at atm

God of War.........dust...........spiderman............dust

now waiting for the next big PS exclusive like days gone or something.

Microsoft making bank on that marketplace from me for almost every 3rd party release.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see the point in adding a few more pixels if it is still 30fps.
Double the framerate would have so much more impact than a slightly higher resolution.

You are not getting 60fps in a vast open world game especially from ubisoft with the consoles paltry cpu's without huge visual downgrades.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great so far, but coming off of technical masterpieces like Spider-Man and Horizon 4, it just looks and performs so rough by comparison