• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Published on 10 Aug 2018
Treyarch is back after a three year silence, showing off a handful of beautiful maps in this Black Ops 4 beta. Due later this year, the full release may iron out some of the kinks in its performance, but the tech we're seeing here is nevertheless impressive on PS4 and PS4 Pro.

For the full 4K source file to this video, check out our Patreon at: https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2018-0...

Subscribe for more: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

- Extensive use of parallax occlusion mapping
- Post-death ragdoll on dead bodies is back
- Dynamic global shadows are present
- Screen space reflections are "among the best we've seen"
- All alpha transparency are rendered in full resolution
- OG PS4: 1080p target with dynamic drops to 960 x 1080
- Pro: Targets 2160p with temporal reconstruction from 1920 x 2160p but also has dynamic resolution drop
- Highest drop recorded is 960 x 2160p on Pro
- PS4 Pro supports native super sampling.
- Base PS4 runs at wide range of FPS from 40 to 60 FPS
- Pro has similar performance range but average performance is higher.

This is a beta so performance by the time of release will/should improve.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Runs like ass. Bit strange, because it doesn't look spectacular. Well, skipping it anyway.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very messy beta for what appears to be a very messy game.

I loved BLOPS 3 but everything about 4 has me feeling nothing.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
added a brief summary

- Extensive use of parallax occlusion mapping
- Post-death ragdoll on dead bodies is back
- Dynamic global shadows are present
- Screen space reflections are "among the best we've seen"
- All alpha transparency are rendered in full resolution
- OG PS4: 1080p target with dynamic drops to 960 x 1080
- Pro: Targets 2160p with temporal reconstruction from 1920 x 2160p but also has dynamic resolution drop
- Highest drop recorded is 960 x 2160p on Pro
- PS4 Pro supports native super sampling.
- Base PS4 runs at wide range of FPS from 40 to 60 FPS
- Pro has similar performance range but average performance is higher.

This is a beta so performance by the time of release will/should improve.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So the graphics are a significant notch up but performance takes a hit....very unCODlike.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its this the first cod with native super sampling feacture?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Its this the first cod with native super sampling feacture?

I think previous one's too. IW and WW2 did for sure, and remember when Pro first came out, people recommended not applying the Pro patch because the base 1080p with CPU upgrade was giving higher frame rates ?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think previous one's too. IW and WW2 did for sure, and remember when Pro first came out, people recommended not applying the Pro patch because the base 1080p with CPU upgrade was giving higher frame rates ?
With lead my to another question: SS from the game vs SS from inbuild ps4pro?
Even with all those cod hate I must say they do a hell of job optimizing the code for consoles.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I told you this is by far the best looking COD to date. I liked what I saw so far.
Dark1x I noticed textures on ground or billboards very low. Dunno is it because of the delay of texture streaming? That is a big let down which hindered the experience for me. Check mostly the Japan map.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
No CoD in MP has ever dropped near 30ish lmao

Er... No. The remaster/wwII runs pretty decent in multiplayer even on base ps4.

Yeah, what are you talking about?

What? Have you played any COD games before. I don't like them that much but performance were never really the issue.
The last game from the same developer...

MP is closer to 60fps than SP but CoD was never a 60fps franchise... it is unlocked close to 60fps with SP having bigger dips than MP.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, they say stunning graphics, awesome detail in the backgrounds, great effects, and fantastic use of PBR... wow must be a joke, right?

01c2izc.jpg
02vafrr.jpg
038mc95.jpg
04cae7w.jpg
05j4f62.jpg
061yfg5.jpg

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look very sharp for CB 4K, it looks kinda blurry on the Pro. And I don't want to get it on the X because I can't aim properly with the loose sticks and that deadzone anymore.
I hope it improves by launch, BO3 ran better and looked sharper than this.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
CoD has always been emperors new clothes for me. You have all these people praising the graphics of the upcoming CoD and I'm like... SP looks almost as good as BF 64 player MP from 6 years ago?
Same here. This doesn't look impressive to me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit, they say stunning graphics, awesome detail in the backgrounds, great effects, and fantastic use of PBR... wow must be a joke, right?

those low res textures are due to the slow streaming. If you stand still, wait a few s econds, they resolve into higher detail.
I noticed cods on consoles been doing this in mp the entire generation. Maybe if you played the game for a while it goes away ,but initially, the texture streaming always seems ass

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
those low res textures are due to the slow streaming. If you stand still, wait a few s econds, they resolve into higher detail.
I noticed cods on consoles been doing this in mp the entire generation. Maybe if you played the game for a while it goes away ,but initially, the texture streaming always seems ass

The textures and graphics overall even after the textures are loaded still looks very bad. Not to exaggerate but even COD Infinite Warfare with the X patch looks so, so much better. It has to be the beta. If it's not then Treyarch done goofed.

Oct 27, 2017
The textures and graphics overall even after the textures are loaded still looks very bad. Not to exaggerate but even COD Infinite Warfare with the X patch looks so, so much better. It has to be the beta. If it's not then Treyarch done goofed.

Not surprising. Not only was Infinite Warfare a good looking game but it was also rendering natively, no CB on the X.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last game from the same developer...

MP is closer to 60fps than SP but CoD was never a 60fps franchise... it is unlocked close to 60fps with SP having bigger dips than MP.

Cool. So you're comparing campaign to multiplayer, and you just happen to choose the campaign with the worst framerate out of any recent COD.

The multi this generation has almost always held very close to 60fps at all times. The campaign has also done so in most of the games. You're original statement is still hilarious.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Cool. So you're comparing campaign to multiplayer, and you just happen to choose the campaign with the worst framerate out of any recent COD.

The multi this generation has almost always held very close to 60fps at all times. The campaign has also done so in most of the games. You're original statement is still hilarious.
I never played a solid 60fps CoD in consoles... sorry but that is the reality.

I'm more surprised how some thinks CoD ran at 60fps when it was even a joke about the 60ish fps because it was always unlocked up to 60 with drops in both SP and MP.

I did not choose the worst exemple I just choose the last work from the same studio lol... Ghost this gen had even worst framerate for exemple.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
These are usually 60 FPS online, even lastgen on the 360 at least they were 60 FPS in multilayer, the PS3 versions were not as good, with the original black ops running at 544p and constant frame rate drop in multiplayer. Also SP has been very good this gen with most of them being 60 fps with minor drops, the exception being Blackops 3 on PS4 and Xbox one. The Pro does run the game a lot better, but still has sections where it drops in to the low 50's.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played a solid 60fps CoD in consoles... sorry but that is the reality.

I'm more surprised how some thinks CoD ran at 60fps when it was even a joke about the 60ish fps because it was always unlocked up to 60 with drops in both SP and MP.

I did not choose the worst exemple I just choose the last work from the same studio lol... Ghost this gen had even worst framerate for exemple.
Yes, Ghosts was a launch title mess at the beginning of this gen.

But the next year had Advanced Warfare, which had a very consistent framerate in both SP and MP. The framerate in the XB1 was flawless from my recollection due to the use of a dynamic scaler, and slightly less perfect on PS4. MP was essentially locked.

Then we had BO3. Very rough framerate in SP. MP was very solid though. Nearly flawless on PS4, and slightly less so on XB1.

Then Infinite Warfare came along. Nearly flawless performance on PS4 in both SP and MP. Slightly less so on XB1. https://youtu.be/2RpveB8hrFc

Then we had WW2. Nearly flawless in both SP and MP. https://youtu.be/YswLmE5MxJk

Black Ops 4 is clearly running worse in MP right now than any recent COD entry. Hopefully it's better in the final.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I played Black Ops 3 Multiplayer recently and it looks better than Black Ops 4 imo and BO3 is stable 60fps MP. I expect BO4 MP to be more near stable 60fps on golden version release day

Also now there's no campaign in BO4 now Digital Foundry can focus on MP framerate finally. I don't know why when they test COD framerate most of the video is focused on the Campaign..... Most COD players spend 99% of their time playing COD on MP nonstop not Campaign. Like that BO3 video above they just focus on Campaign framerate which is pointless no one cares about stable 60fps on a COD campaign some people will just play once or avoid altogether people buy COD for the MP mostly not Campaign and stable 60fps is not important on its Campaign unlike MP.