• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
In terms of the rendering basics, the Xbox One X rendition of Crackdown 3 runs with a dynamic resolution feature. In this case, the game manages to hit and maintain native 4K most of the time, but it can scale specifically on the horizontal axis with a maximum reduction to 60 per cent of 4K. Which means it can go as low as 2304x2160 in the worst case, but this kind of drop is extremely uncommon. This is coupled with Epic's temporal anti-aliasing, with a touch of additional post-processing on top of that. As a game focused on long draw distances and clean, abstract shapes with hard edges, the high resolution makes a lot of sense and I think 4K TV users will be pleased.

On the base Xbox One or Xbox One S, the maximum resolution drops to 1080p instead with the same potential lower bounds of 60 per cent. Unlike Xbox One X, however, the Xbox One S seems to struggle more often to maintain native 1080p and we often noted resolutions at or near 1536x1080 during combat or fast driving, though it can go lower.

i dont know what to say, i was sure this game would be native 1080p on X1S and native 4k on the X1X, really disappointing to hear they cant even achieve that without using a dynamic resolution with a major resolution drop. the game didnt look that good IMO and there are other X1 exclusive that look better while operating at a higher resolution.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
i dont know what to say, i was sure this game would be native 1080p on X1S and native 4k on the X1X, really disappointing to hear they cant even achieve that without using a dynamic resolution with a major resolution drop. the game didnt look that good IMO and there are other X1 exclusive that look better while operating at a higher resolution.
Aren't they literally saying the drop is "extremely uncommon"?
I'll watch the video later.
Good work guys.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Argh, it's comments like this that stop devs from implementing dynamic resolutions and it's how we get shitty performance in games. Every single game should have dynamic resolution and dynamic supersampling. Every. Single. One. What is the point in having a game at a locked 4K/30 100% of the time? It just means there's a lot of overhead that could be better utilised elsewhere. Even better when it's combined with reconstruction as well when it drops from native.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Aren't they literally saying the drop is "extremely uncommon"?
I'll watch the video later.
Good work guys.
the lower drops are less common on the lower end of the range, but i am still talking about the fact i am disappointed they cannot hit native 1080p. it even says "the Xbox One S seems to struggle more often to maintain native 1080p" which means the resolution isnt on the higher end that much.

Argh, it's comments like this that stop devs from implementing dynamic resolutions and it's how we get shitty performance in games. Every single game should have dynamic resolution and dynamic supersampling. Every. Single. One. What is the point in having a game at a locked 4K/30 100% of the time? It just means there's a lot of overhead that could be better utilised elsewhere. Even better when it's combined with reconstruction as well when it drops from native.
look, i love dynamic resolution, i think it could have run at those graphical settings without that compromise. i am actually one who is very supportive of implementations of resolution tricks, however it doesnt feel justified here with how the game looks.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I spent 2+ hours combing over footage looking for res drops. It's very very difficult to find. I was convinced it was native 4K locked at all times for a while. DRS isn't an issue here.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
the lower drops are less common on the lower end of the range, but i am still talking about the fact i am disappointed they cannot hit native 1080p. it even says "the Xbox One S seems to struggle more often to maintain native 1080p" which means the resolution isnt on the higher end that much.

look, i love dynamic resolution, i think it could have run at those graphical settings without that compromise. i am actually one who is very supportive of implementations of resolution tricks, however it doesnt feel justified here with how the game looks.
Ok, I understand.
I preloaded it on the PC, and they say there's unfixable stuttering on pc. Sigh.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely bizarre to see DF speak so highly of the visuals (and bring receipts), while people here say it looks like a 360 game. Lol

Anyway, the skyline, sense of scale and lighting make this game look awesome. I'm not a fan of some of the explosions, but over all, I find it visually appealing.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear the PC version has stutters, but the city, colors and clarity looks great.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ooh I can re-use my timestamp.

I think this will be the norm eventually. I'm kicking myself for not getting the cheap WD Blue drive now. Though I'm sure it'll be back.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I kinda like the design and the game looks fun. I`ll give it a try.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Is this with the new nvidia drivers? I really can't stand stuttering and hitching.
If it's not fixed , oled and x for me.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Xbox One X

Resolution: Dynamic 4k - Scales on the horizontal with a maximum reduction of 60% - Drops are rare. Stays at Native 4k regularly

Performance: 30fps - Holds performance incredibly well with only a handful of minor drops recorded over hours of footage
  • Shadows are a highlight - Headlight shadows look really good, shadows in general look good too with smooth cascades.
  • Good Global Illumination - Suggests light propagation volumes technique
  • Driving through the world is smooth - No hitching, skipping or stuttering

Xbox One S

Resolution: Dynamic 1080p (Struggles more often to keep max resolution than X)

Performance: 30fps - Holds performance fairly well, but drops aren't hard to find.

General
  • HDR is fantastic (Mentions HDR was broken for the mutliplayer demo)
  • Excellent PBR Materials
  • Screen Space Reflection implementation works supremely well

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's absolutely bizarre to see DF speak so highly of the visuals (and bring receipts), while people here say it looks like a 360 game. Lol
Yeah, people aren't considering how clean the IQ looks and the fact that this is running on an engine that doesn't necessarily suit a game of this scale. I think it looks great, but I think part of that may be because it kind of reminds me of Sunset Overdrive due to how colorful the game is. While I do think I'll give Crackdown 3 a shot, I have to say that this video more so had me thinking of how nice it'd be to have an X-enhanced patch of Sunset Overdrive, though.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It actually looks alright. Character animations are half-baked (similar to Recore), but the environment looks great and you can feel the sense of scale. First thing that came to mind was Coruscant in KOTOR, but fully traversable.

Physics doesn't look as good as you would expect from the much touted destruction-physics though. Destruction doesn't look natural but looks more like a crumbling stack of dominoes, where there is very minor horizontal deviation and pieces all fall at the same rate.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that it looks truly amazing for a 360 game ...... ffs

Seriously, looks pretty damn good. So good in fact, that the trolls haven't bothered to post. This thread will die in an hour or so

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's fantastic city design. Gonna be fun as hell once the agent is at full strength. Especially excited about good hdr.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

If they could have they would have.
This is running on Unreal Engine 4, try and find a UE4 game that tries to do a game like this in the first place let alone do it at the resolution you expect it to.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Glad to see the prioritisation of a consistent frame-rate. More games should go dynamic.

Thank you for another great video.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Game looks solid graphically! Also some of the best HDR our there too :)

Loving the real time voxel GI not many games have it. It was used greatly in FH4

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I spent 2+ hours combing over footage looking for res drops. It's very very difficult to find. I was convinced it was native 4K locked at all times for a while. DRS isn't an issue here.

I just wanted to say that you're the best at highlighting the good stuff. You've done a better job at presenting this game than anything I've seen up until this video, I'm actually onboard with this game now.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom

Anyway, the skyline, sense of scale and lighting make this game look awesome. I'm not a fan of some of the explosions, but over all, I find it visually appealing.

We don't all see the same thing as other human beings do, we aren't all the same.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Looks great on X and PC.

I'll have to read the reviews for what's wrong with this game, but graphics (again, on those 2 platforms) are not part of it, on the contrary.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Great video Dark! It looks like some great old school fun. The smooth frame rate is much appreciated on X.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

I mean going off what you quoted, looks like it's extremely uncommon?

If every once in a blew moon the resolution drops to keep the performance stable, that's a good thing.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

Not very surprising to me unfortunately. This was a game destined to be panned here regardless of the outcome. Thankfully, this will scratch my Crackdown itch nicely. I'm curious to see how performance will be on my Intel NUC mini-PC on my ultra wide monitor compared to the Xbox One X and S.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If they could have they would have.
This is running on Unreal Engine 4, try and find a UE4 game that tries to do a game like this in the first place let alone do it at the resolution you expect it to.
Not an Xbox one game, but in the last few trailers, days gone looks a lot better than what a 40% performance difference between the base consoles is, and I am pretty sure that game does not use dynamic resolution.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
looks nice in the video. They should have definitelly picked a different start area for the campaign as the very unappealing when you start playing it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not an Xbox one game, but in the last few trailers, days gone looks a lot better than what a 40% performance difference between the base consoles is, and I am pretty sure that game does not use dynamic resolution.

We should probably wait until Days Gone releases before comparing it to other games in terms of resolution and performance. Sony released a trailer in 60fps last week, let's not judge it on pre-release trailers.