• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Developed exclusively for PlayStation 3, Demon's Souls is arguably the most overlooked game in the Souls series. It was a revelation in 2009 and also something of a mystery as players took their first uncertain steps into Boletaria. From the gothic palace front to its dragon-besieged bridges, every area was built to create a unique sense of dread. The game's status as being playable on just one console has only added to the game's allure over the years. With Dark Souls getting imminent remaster treatment, Demon's Souls will soon be the only Souls game that isn't playable on PS4. And with online servers having shut down earlier this year - almost a decade on from release - the appeal of a modern-day remaster is undeniable.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...souls-remaster-is-a-mouthwatering-opportunity

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

What would it take to satisfy in a remaster or remake? Demon's Souls is cemented as a cult classic on PS3 - a precursor to the excellent Dark Souls franchise that laid much of the groundwork. 4K footage on PC shows such a project would have trials and tribulations, and should take form as a something closer to a remake, as Tom explains.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Does it really need a remake? Surely a simple remaster would suffice.
Well Sony called the SOTC and Crash remakes a remaster. So I'm all for a 'remaster".

LET'S GO!

8yugzwfqlqmy.gif

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if they put in more effort than the Dark Souls remaster.

Demon Souls needs added content and some gameplay upgrades (to bring it up to the later Souls games).

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Don't remove the glitches please.

Pure Bladestone will be the death of me.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
-Bloodborne engine
-60fps
-Bloodborne mode with faster movements
-stockpile thomas glitch
-world 6

Bestest game ever

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep the gameplay the same, add a way to fix the broken archstone and upgrade the graphics.

Or remaster it as it is, I don't care just give it to me.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Umm. Digital Foundry, can you make a video on why the time is right for a Killzone 2 Remaster/Remake?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Sony realises how much we want this but doesn't necessarily care about raw sales numbers, so they will release it for PS5.

Huge graphical upgrade, 4K and 60.... I bet quite a few would jump on board PS5 for it

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I want to play the original game without shelling out a fortune, not play a remake without ever playing the original

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Did Tom just say it was build on the PhyreEngine? Because it wasn't.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Would be cool if like 0.005% of the single-generation old remaster begging was used for significantly older games instead. It's obviously a 1000x increase in effort but pls let me play a remake of Landstalker instead of trying to seduce me pay for your game again because the textures are now sharper.

And the re-adding of some cut content is one thing but I don't want them to go back and remake things from scratch for demon's souls. I don't think the content would be the same, even if you had the complete original development team together, after like a decade away from the title.

Like it's clear people just want to play this on PS4, or 5 at this point. Would be nice if it just got a PSN port that was cross gen enabled rather than this constant begging for a remaster of a game that really isn't that dated.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's a tiny, insignificant chance that this is Bluepoint's next project.

The game holds up remarkably well though, and even though I love it, I'm not really sure it needs it.

Would be cool if like 0.005% of the single-generation old remaster begging was used for significantly older games instead. It's obviously a 1000x increase in effort but pls let me play a remake of Landstalker instead of trying to seduce me pay for your game again because the textures are now sharper.

And the re-adding of some cut content is one thing but I don't want them to go back and remake things from scratch for demon's souls. I don't think the content would be the same, even if you had the complete original development team together, after like a decade away from the title.

Like it's clear people just want to play this on PS4, or 5 at this point. Would be nice if it just got a PSN port that was cross gen enabled rather than this constant begging for a remaster of a game that really isn't that dated.
I'm definitely with you. Feels weird remaking PS3 projects already. Would much prefer PS1-era games receive the treatment.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get it. It'd be cheaper to make and sell more copies than Knack 2...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Remake? Most fans would take a cleaned up with 60fps remastered version.

But if you could have a SOTC PS2 -> SOTC PS4 situation instead of a Dark 1 PS3 -> Dark 1 PS4, wouldn't you rather wait a few years? Besides, we are practically stuffed with Souls right now, and a month away from a different Souls remaster. Might as well let the series cool off for a bit, maybe after From releases their next game

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
But if you could have a SOTC PS2 -> SOTC PS4 situation instead of a Dark 1 PS3 -> Dark 1 PS4, wouldn't you rather wait a few years? Besides, we are practically stuffed with Souls right now, and a month away from a different Souls remaster. Might as well let the series cool off for a bit, maybe after From releases their next game
Well, I believe they'll release it next year for the 10th year anniversary of the game. That would be enough for a cool off.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's never happening. Sony has seen the demand for it, I'm sure. They'd have done it by now if they ever had any intention to do so. No idea why they didn't. Maybe licensing issues, maybe Sony wants people to subscribe to PS NOW to play it, or maybe Sony still thinks no one wants to play old games on their PS4, as they've said in the past? Who knows.

Regardless, it's over. The game is stuck on PS3 forever, just like so many great exclusives for that damned thing. What a shame.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have not seen the video but... no, i don't think it is

We're just getting Dark souls Remake soon, not long ago we had Bloodborne and, before that, Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3

Is near reaching series fatigue. In my opinion, Bamco and From needs to put the series to rest for a while. Let From tackle any other series, or even a new IP (but both in Gameplay and name, i'm not talking about another Blood-absolutely-not-darksouls-borne). I think they earned it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's never happening. Sony has seen the demand for it, I'm sure. They'd have done it by now if they ever had any intention to do so. No idea why they didn't. Maybe licensing issues, maybe Sony wants people to subscribe to PS NOW to play it, or maybe Sony still thinks no one wants to play old games on their PS4, as they've said in the past? Who knows.

Regardless, it's over. The game is stuck on PS3 forever, just like so many great exclusives for that damned thing. What a shame.

This is crazy, Sony knows that it doesn't matter when or where they release this, they will easily pull 3mil just from the fans, and being a remake or remaster the budget would be much smaller than a risky new IP. This is a no-brainer

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Sony probably wants the porting team to either be Bluepoint or FROM themselves for quality. I can see this being on the table after Bluepoint's next game releases or as a PS5 title.