• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I think a remake would be fascinating to see for what they would do to the gameplay and design, more than the graphics and audio. Do they adapt all of the gameplay additions that the Souls games have added since Demon's, or would they go right back to not having falling attacks and having people farm for healing items of different strengths? Do they streamline the weapon upgrade system to be less obtuse? Does Old Monk happen in the same way on a fresh new game? What kind of adjustments get made to controlling world tendency when you're not online? I'm forgetting other things, but I think the potential is there to get really wild with it.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
mind-flayer.jpg

The sound of that bell in conjecture with the aesthetic of that stage...fucking incredible. I doubt we'd get a remake/remaster, but I'd love one.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Demon's Souls doesn't need gameplay tweaks or additions or any of that stuff. It still plays great to this day.

Sony should just hire Microsoft's backwards compatibility team to come in and give it the once over, then release it as a remaster. I'd pay good money for that.

Seriously though, I personally wouldn't want them to mess with it like they did Shadow of the Colossus. That re-release was a gorgeous game, and I'm not badmouthing the hard work that went into making it what it is, but I bounced off it pretty hard and fast because it just didn't 'feel' the same to me. I wouldn't want the same from a re-release of Demon's Souls.

(I do intend to give it another chance, to be clear, but that's where my head is at right now.)

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I don't think Bluepoint can capture/keep the atnosphere of Demons Souls PS3 if they remade it.

They changed the atmosphere etc too much for Shadow of the Colossus and lost the feel of the original.

Demons Souls the most atmospheric Souls game don't want them to ruin that.

So that is why i would rather a simple remaster than a remake that would mess and ruin things.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I pitched this Demon's Souls video to the team on the grounds of RPCS3 working at 4K. It's timely, and raised a few questions about what we'd actually want from it. I mean, would bumping the original game to 4K60 be fine by us? Or would you want Dev X to dig a bit deeper?

If you go back to Demon's Souls after playing newer Souls games, it's surprising how far they've moved on technically. I personally think it'd need some attention.

As for Killzone 2 - I'd love to cover it. It's still is an unusual (but brilliant) game aesthetically - mostly for its clean, monochrome visuals designed to work with quincunx AA. That approach added a lot of blur, but it meshed well with the art - and even at 720p it holds up well today. Maybe I can revisit the series in a retrospective video, when the time's right.
sounds good Killzone 2 deserves some love

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is. I sincerely doubt it's happening at this point, but it absolutely deserving of a remaster. A full remake is probably unnecessary for a PS3 era game, tho.

Why do people still have this attitude that remasters prevent new games from being made? What even makes you think a remaster of Demon's Souls prevents a new Dark Souls from being made? Why does this misconception about remasters/ports continue to endure and crop up again and again? I truly do not understand it.
I don't have this attitude, I just think there are plenty more deserving games for a remaster. As great as Demons Souls was, it plays mechanically worse than DS3 and has far less content than all the other Souls game. I love the game but I have a hard time thinking of a less deserving game for a remaster. Just seems like a waste time and resources.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't have this attitude, I just think there are plenty more deserving games for a remaster. As great as Demons Souls was, it plays mechanically worse than DS3 and has far less content than all the other Souls game. I love the game but I have a hard time thinking of a less deserving game for a remaster. Just seems like a waste time and resources.
Oh, I see. I apologize for misunderstanding your post, then. I do disagree on the merits of Demon's Souls, tho. Fantastic game still to me, with a lot of unique mechanics and great atmosphere, plus whatever issues it has could be fixed potentially. Honestly, I can't think of many games more deserving of a remaster.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only Souls game I haven't played, so I'd be satisfied with a remaster/re-release of some sort. Doesn't have to be a full-blown remake (though I'd be cool with that).

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
RPCS3 version looks awesome IMO, just needs a 60fps hack.
Agreed, it works surprisingly well. Right now the 30fps cap does Demon's Souls' emulation some favours - even the Threadripper 1950X I use in the video struggles with physics-based stuff, so 60fps is off the cards anyway. For now at least!

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Demons' Souls is great and all but it's fine as is. I played it last summer and it holds up well. If anything I'd rather just see a backwards compatible PS5 with 4K enhancements like MS did with RDR.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Agreed, it works surprisingly well. Right now the 30fps cap does Demon's Souls' emulation some favours - even the Threadripper 1950X I use in the video struggles with physics-based stuff, so 60fps is off the cards anyway. For now at least!
True, but you should read the message from RPCS3 on your youtube video, threadripper doesn't work well with RPCS3 atm! 8700k is much better.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Bluepoint can do the remake as long as From does the art. Demon's Souls has such a unique style that I don't think Bluepoint can emulate it, at least without losing an unidentifiable spark that the original had.

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Demon's Souls doesn't need gameplay tweaks or additions or any of that stuff. It still plays great to this day.

Sony should just hire Microsoft's backwards compatibility team to come in and give it the once over, then release it as a remaster. I'd pay good money for that.

Seriously though, I personally wouldn't want them to mess with it like they did Shadow of the Colossus. That re-release was a gorgeous game, and I'm not badmouthing the hard work that went into making it what it is, but I bounced off it pretty hard and fast because it just didn't 'feel' the same to me. I wouldn't want the same from a re-release of Demon's Souls.

(I do intend to give it another chance, to be clear, but that's where my head is at right now.)

Oh, it definitely need some QoL changes: i beat it recently on the ps3 emulator and while i loved it (again), the differences with Bloodborne or DS3 are evident. For example, you cant use every soul item at once, so you need to use each one of them one at a time.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
It's gonna sell 500k copies max

Nah, the original game have sold more than 1.7 million. Souls is bigger now than when it was released back in 2009/2010 and a lot of people/souls fans who played Dark Souls and Bloodborne have never played Demon's Souls. A remake or a good remaster would reintroduce the game to newer Souls fans and bring in old fans again and easily sell more than a million.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Nah, the original game have sold more than 1.7 million. Souls is bigger now than when it was released back in 2009/2010 and a lot of people/souls fans who played Dark Souls and Bloodborne have never played Demon's Souls. A remake or a good remaster would reintroduce the game to newer Souls fans and bring in old fans again and easily sell more than a million.
it's also a far more obscure, clunky, hard game than the other souls. It has points for atmosphere and creativity but it's not nearly as accessible. I don't see this selling well really, specially as people are asking for a remake.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
it's also a far more obscure, clunky, hard game than the other souls. It has points for atmosphere and creativity but it's not nearly as accessible. I don't see this selling well really, specially as people are asking for a remake.

It's not really harder than DaS and Bloodborne. A bit more obscure in some aspects like world tendency sure, but that won't stop people from playing and enjoying Demon's Souls (understanding world tendency ain't even needed to play the game), especially as people will be familiar with how the Souls games works and plays anyway. So no, I wouldn't say it's "accessibility" would hurt the sales.

Also, what do you mean you don't see the game selling much because you see people asking for a re-release? That's... kinda contradicting.

Last edited:

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Another PS3 game that deserves to be on PS4. Same with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia which has never been localized to the west (What the hell are you doing Namco; You lazy boneheads?).

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It doesn't need a remake. He have 3 souls games and bloodboune. That's enough. The series is already getting stale.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They will wait for PS5 to release The Soulsborne Collection, with DeS, DS I II and III and Bloodborne at 4k@60, with zero frame pacing.

Just wait and see....

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
DeS doesn't even require a remake. Just upscale the thing like RPCS3 does, tweak the phantom/npc AI, and fiddle with like the boss music audio levels which I've always found to be so tragically muted considering how epic the OST is. People act like 2009 is so archaic. I've played the game god knows how many times since I picked up my pre-ordered copy and now being able to play through most of it on RPCS3 upscaled, it's almost like the game came out last year. Remaster, release and let the wailing begin for all us PC players who don't own a PS4.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be cool if like 0.005% of the single-generation old remaster begging was used for significantly older games instead. It's obviously a 1000x increase in effort but pls let me play a remake of Landstalker instead of trying to seduce me pay for your game again because the textures are now sharper.

And the re-adding of some cut content is one thing but I don't want them to go back and remake things from scratch for demon's souls. I don't think the content would be the same, even if you had the complete original development team together, after like a decade away from the title.

Like it's clear people just want to play this on PS4, or 5 at this point. Would be nice if it just got a PSN port that was cross gen enabled rather than this constant begging for a remaster of a game that really isn't that dated.

It's nice to want things, but money talks.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
They should wait one gen more, avoid fatigue and the graphical jump would be bigger.
It would be a treatment similar to shadow of the colossus and not to the Remasters of last gen games.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy money, re-release the game in 4k and a performance 60fps mode. The game still holds up very well even today.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this would need a full on remake. Just updated textures and performance wouldn't cut it, it is the most janky of all the Souls. Played it last year for the first time and some bosses like Maneater were annoying as hell with them landing and flying away over and over and then just straight up disappearing and not coming back forcing reloads.