• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting points in here, particularly with finally getting a hard confirmation that the Supersampling Mode in the OS is inferior to when developers handle it in game.

Well, we two have been saying that and complaining about it for ages already. ;)

Apart from that I always thought the Pro was totally worth it on my old 1080p TV. Especially the big Sony exclusives look prestine downsampled on there.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Better performance, better resolutions, better graphical settings, 4k, 1080p or PSVR, the Pro was definitely worth the upgrade.

It might not offer massive upgrades in every games but the games that do take advantage of the extra power, offer a nice step up over the base PS4.

I have a 4k TV and games like Horizon, GT Sport, God of War and many more look absolutely stunning.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
At the tail end of the generation, I'd say no if your a buyer with some patience. PS5 will almost certainly have backwards compatibility with those superb exclusives.

Nov 30, 2017
The Pro was worth it (for me) simply for experiencing Spider-Man, GoW and Horizon in 4K.

This.

Kind of a weird title. The PS4 by itself has been a good 1080P machine. The PRO with supersampling is even better.

www.resetera.com

All games with PS4 Pro enhancements

INTRODUCTION This is a visual guide to all PS4 Pro games enhanced over standard PS4. After this introduction, the first list (spread across three posts) is games which have been programmed specifically to take advantage of the new hardware, at release or afterward by patching. The next post...

Oct 30, 2017
i have a 55-inch 4K TV and really don't care about 4K, but the pro has been worth it for me just to be able to run things like GoW and MHW at playable framerates.

Nov 23, 2017
Pro has plenty of 4K games at good frame rates. The stuff about it not being for 4K is such bs and half of it is clearly people trying to justify buying an X, which is fine, but don't shit up ps4 threads

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
My Pro is a jet engine piece of shit, I actually wish I could turn off supersampling in the games that force it on the Pro, just to play without the insane noise coming from the ineptly engineered PS4 Pro.

Now I often just play games on my old PS4 Amateur to have a good experience. Currently playing DQXI and it forces supersampling on the Pro resulting in too much noise from the shitty hardware. Playing on my old PS4 is whisper quiet, so I'll live with the drop in image quality.

The Pro is a huge misfire and whoever incompetently designed the cooling solution shouldn't be allowed near console engineering ever again.
I managed to upgrade my early Pro for the new G chassis model last week for £1. My old Pro wasn't noisy except for running GoW and RDR2 at 4K. Figured it was worth the upgrade for a fresh machine and new 12 month warranty though.

The new Pro is definitely even quieter though. Doesn't even get noisy when running Red Dead now.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
It was worth trading in the PS4, two games and 99€ for a Pro back in May 2017, but now I would rather wait for the PS5 instead of buying a Pro.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was always a 1080p machine for me and it filled that role well enough.

I'm glad I didn't have a 4K TV to play God of War on. If I had, I might have stuck to Resolution mode instead of Performance mode, which felt so much more responsive and which was patched over time to hold to 60fps throughout most of the game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): History of Low Effort Troll Posts; Numerous Prior Infractions
Bettter than the x

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Traded in my OG PS4 for the pro at launch for about £100 and as a 1080p owner I have been happy with the better performance and sharper graphics from super sampling, better WiFi, and double the HD space.

That noise though - please for the love of god I hope the next systems have better fan/cooling designs.

Also, I think part of the issue for 1080p users is that the OG PS4 itself is no slouch. If the majority of it's games were only hitting 900p then I don't think we would even be having this conversation - a pro would be a definite no brainier.

Feb 8, 2018
Supersampling makes my already obnoxiously loud Pro run even louder so I turned it off. Pro was a mistake. Or at least my purchase of it was, which is weird given how good the base PS4 was to me. PS4 is just all around disappointing imo. It could have, and should have, been so much more.

I never use supersampling and just trust the devs. Boost mode makes a difference (framerate) for un patched games. RDR2 looks beautiful as well as everything else that has been patched for it !

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Supersampling makes my already obnoxiously loud Pro run even louder so I turned it off. Pro was a mistake. Or at least my purchase of it was, which is weird given how good the base PS4 was to me. PS4 is just all around disappointing imo. It could have, and should have, been so much more.
Pro was a mistake because is loud? Jesus Christ people. Drama Queen is a rude guy in comparison to such stuff.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So to achieve these results, do I have to turn super sampling off too? I think that was the case to make KH3 okay at 60fps, right?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
PS4 Pro is a better fit for 1080p gaming than it is 1440p or 4K gaming.
Mind you to explain. 1440p and CBR are the more common resolution on the Pro. In what way 1080p is better than the other 2 solutions? Because it's a very bizzarre opinion. 1080p is only preferable for better/higher fps, on the Pro

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's been gorgeous and brilliant. Horizon looks and runs fucking beautifully on my 65" Samsung 4K set in resolution mode. Why is everyone so nitpicky and angry all the time about shit like this? We have it good. Games are beautiful.

Oct 28, 2017
i have it and i don't even supersample. i did it cuz i didn't want 2b butt in 900p. i wish games were more transparent about the beneifts 1080p user gets but whatever

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Just watched the video. Can't say much about the actual video topic because it is what it is, the Pro is a decent 1080p console indeed. I used to play lots of ESO and Skyrim which happened to be native 4K (even though I'm 100% certain ESO is dynamic nowadays) and most other titles are in the 1440p range. As a someone who plays on a big 4K monitor, I can still appreciate and see the resolution bumps over full HD. Especially since performance only suffers in a handful of titles.

Now the video itself was a pleasure to watch. Long gone are the days of the clinically sterile analysis videos of DF. I appreciate the DF crew bringing in their personality into the videos and making them genuinely fun to watch. I thought that last part was staged since the timing seemed to be spot on. Great stuff. Hearing John speaking a bit of German in the background was also a pleasure :)

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you have never bought a console this gen sure.. If you enjoy ps4 exclusives. But for folks like me who have been spoiled with native 4k gaming on the X, the proposition is much more difficult.
I could swear the thread was about the Pro and the 1080p output, not how good is the X for 4k. In any case, Pro can also handle most of the games at native 1080p with better performance, something not possible on the X because if for example some games runs unstable in 4k mode, you can't switch to native 1080p to boost the performance like the Pro and you are stuck to downsampled IQ with the same performance issues at native res.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No, because it was a poorly designed minor at best upgrade. Nice overreaction though.
Poorly designed is a nice overreaction for sure. If I'm not wrong the same Spencer said Pro was the only best hardware possible in 2016. Of course it's easy point the finger and say how bad is it looking to an higher priced hardware, released a year later.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because it was a poorly designed minor at best upgrade. Nice overreaction though.
Base PS4 runs games at native 1080p or below. Pro runs games at native 4K or below. Some even run at 60FPS on Pro vs 30fps on base.

"minor upgrade"

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
.....it does though? Resolution impacts the performance. Admittedly I'm a PC gamer so my standards are different.
That's knew from awhile 60 fps performance in such console is stuck to the subpar cpu. There are games at higher resolution which runs worst even on the X compared the Pro.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Base PS4 runs games at native 1080p or below. Pro runs games at native 4K or below. Some even run at 60FPS on Pro vs 30fps on base.

"minor upgrade"

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
That's the illogic narrative around such things which it needs just a single better hardware to label automatically the other one as 'it sucks', or how 'a minor upgrade'. I have both console and Pro is a very respectable piece of hardware even side by side with the 'beasty' X.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Excellent video as always, but I think next time it's only fair that the postman gets invited in to join the panel and weigh in on the week's topic. I'm sure he or she would have some valuable insights to offer.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
That's knew from awhile 60 fps performance in such console is stuck to the subpar cpu. There are games at higher resolution which runs worst even on the X compared the Pro.
Yes, the CPU is holding back both consoles in CPU bound games, but GPU bound games if developers targeted 1080p instead of higher resolutions I bet we would get amazing results.
Lmao no. I've played countless games at a higher res and at 60fps and it's been great. Compliments my 4k tv very well. One of the best examples of this is GT Sport. Looks bloody glorious.
Look I'm not saying these consoles are crap or anything, but in my opinion, third-party developers would be better off targeting 1080p instead of higher resolutions. Just my personal opinion.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I chosen Slim over Pro just because it's more quiet. Price difference in that sale before wasn't much different so that didn't factor in. Base PS4 still happy with what it achieves

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Great console. Pretty much fixes most performance/resolution issues with OG PS4 and 4K is glorious in games like HZD and GoW. Really mesmerizing stuff.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
After many experiences with many games I have disabled the SS in the OS because it's... bad. IQ is not so cleaner. Blurry.
I'm a super-sampling lover. The First games patched on PRO with SS were gorgeous. And the games with native SS built from the developers are a joy to see.

Bt the SS system feels... wrong. I'm sure that the SS in the OS overwrites the ""native SS from the developers" in many cases. Little differences on IQ but I can see them.
I disabled it, in the doubt.

Apr 19, 2018
For me yes because my game of the generation, RE2, looks and runs absolutely stunning on it.

Resident Evil 2 was the game that pushed me into upgrading to a Pro this year. After experiencing the subpar performance of the One-Shot demo on base PS4, I knew that was not how I wanted to play the full game.

I upgraded to get rid of the stuttering in Valentine and St. Denis in RDR2. I don't know if it's entirely worth it but it's been nice knowing that the machine will handle everything thrown at it well enough.

Yeah, most towns in RDR2 didn't run too hot on the base PS4, so this was definitely a worthy upgrade for me personally.

In addition, it's awesome playing the likes of Shadow of the Colossus, Rage 2, and Kingdom Hearts 3 at 60fps levels. And with power-hungry games like Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII:R, and Ghostwire Tokyo on the way, I'm glad I've got a system that's better equipped to run them.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'd argue that unless you buy a super nice 60in+ oled with hdr and 10bit, 4k isnt worth it for games yet.
Well well, the prices are coming down so much that you can get a pretty good 10-bit 4k monitor with HDR at a reasonable price. No, I don't have OLED but I will say this is a vast improvement over my 1080p monitor. So I'm very pleased with the results however, I can't say that I'm seeing more detail beyond color. I guess to put it in a very technical and likely inappropriate way it's not as if I'm seeing less aliasing

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
Nice to see Dangerous Driving in the video. Richard is right it is a brilliant game, I think it deserves a lot more attention especially for a game made by 7 people. The frame pacing has already been fixed for the base consoles and it's getting HDR in a future update.

As for the Pro, well... most of the games I've played on it have been 1080p (Yakuza, Persona and most recently Judgment) so it's definitely more of a 1080p box for me when compared to the X.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
After many experiences with many games I have disabled the SS in the OS because it's... bad. IQ is not so cleaner. Blurry.
I'm a super-sampling lover. The First games patched on PRO with SS were gorgeous. And the games with native SS built from the developers are a joy to see.

Bt the SS system feels... wrong. I'm sure that the SS in the OS overwrites the ""native SS from the developers" in many cases. Little differences on IQ but I can see them.
I disabled it, in the doubt.
Well it seems downsampling setting scale down from the 4k output and not to the real native res. Said that I can't say how many games did this, I'm not enterily sure are the majority from my experience because IQ still remain infinitely better with downsample on than on native 1080p. Never found it strangely blurried at least from my point of views eh. Even RDR2, with is infamous CBR solution has a far better IQ than native 1080p. Of course, tastes are tastes.

Last edited: