• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

John, Rich and Alex convene to discuss the latest official PlayStation 5 news, delivered by Wired magazine and system architect, Mark Cerny. The Dual Shock 5 is discussed, we dig deeper into the the SSD, discuss the UI and once again reveal a distressing level of obsession with Crysis, Crytek, CryCash and Ryse: Son of Rome.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is crycash a cryptocurrency you earn by playing crysis?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm almost more excited about DF's coverage of the next generation of consoles than the consoles themselves.. almost.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

"There is actually quite a lot more in the article about the SSD which is, you know, I think the biggest gamechanger of this generation, potentially."

Putting certain ERA users from this thread on blast.

Sep 25, 2018
Glad sony copying Nintendo rumble for their new controller I seriously can't go back to other controllers rumble it feels better

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the details again, I'm starting to think it will be a "small" SSD (maybe ~128 or 256 GB) with mechanical "storage" drive. With all the changes to UI made to cut down on the time waiting on the initial "install" from the HDD to SSD every time you play a new game. This would allow normal external HDD usage as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea that the PS5 devkit is designed to be stacked vertically - and that's the reason for the weird v shape.

Great discussion. Still not a lot of info to go on, but it'll be very interesting to see what's actually different between the Scarlett and PS5 hardware. So many similar bullet points.

I'm expecting to have a small ssd and a larger hdd, if you try to launch a game from the hdd then it'll have to copy to the ssd first.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the details again, I'm starting to think it will be a "small" SSD (maybe ~128 or 256 GB) with mechanical "storage" drive. With all the changes to UI made to cut down on the time waiting on the initial "install" from the HDD to SSD every time you play a new game. This would allow normal external HDD usage as well.

Nah. At least 1TB. Any game from external storage will have to be installed on the SSD first.

Nov 8, 2017

"There is actually quite a lot more in the article about the SSD which is, you know, I think the biggest gamechanger of this generation, potentially."

Putting certain ERA users from this thread on blast.

Having potential of being the biggest "game changer" in a console generation, and being something better than what's been on PC for years are two very different things. That thread turned into a PC vs whatever the PS5 is using. The problem is, we don't know what Sony is cooking up. And what should not be ignored here are DF's concerns over the memory being proprietary and not expandable. That screams a smaller SSD with a larger "storage" HDD to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Its quite literally whats happening, so idk why that's funny to you. Nintendo didnt invent haptic feedback or Linear Resonant Actuators.

PlayStation did the whole "dual rumble motors" thing back since PS1, and now they are being replaced by Voice Coil Actuators which are basically a jump up over what an LRA can do (and also larger, so they fit nicely where the dualshock motors used to go).

We'll see if more devs make use of it than we saw on Switch.

Last edited:

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Is it safe to assume that the PS5 is going to severely narrow the gap between a beefy gaming PC and the traditional "potato" nomenclature of consoles?

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having potential of being the biggest "game changer" in a console generation, and being something better than what's been on PC for years are two very different things. That thread turned into a PC vs whatever the PS5 is using. The problem is, we don't know what Sony is cooking up. And what should not be ignored here are DF's concerns over the memory being proprietary and not expandable. That screams a smaller SSD with a larger "storage" HDD to me.
What if it's just a rebranded StoreMI? lol

Sep 25, 2018
You mean like how Nintendo copied the Steam Controller?

The thing with haptics I mean HIGH DEFINITION rumble that came out years before the Switch.

hmm never tried it on steam controller, is there anyone on here who use both I would assume Nintendo use it in a better way since it didn't get as much word as mouth praise as Nintendo did when we use it with different games

no need to be defensive theres nothing wrong copying if it's done right I didn't like the Sony move controllers but they were still done decently

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Its quite literally whats happening, so idk why that's funny to you. Nintendo didnt invent haptic feedback or Linear Resonant Actuators.

PlayStation did the whole "dual rumble motors" thing back since PS1, and now they are being replaced by Voice Coil Actuators which are basically a jump up over what an LRA can do (and also larger, so they fit nicely where the dualshock motors used to go).

Taking an existing thing and improving/modifying it is still ultimately copying.

Also, Nintendo did rumble first of we're going to play that game.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Henry Ford copied Karl Benz when he created a car with four wheels and steering wheel, see how silly it is? Let's move on people, everything is a copy of something and then improved upon, which is called innovation. And it literally doesn't matter who did what first or better, let's move on

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Taking an existing thing and improving/modifying it is still ultimately copying.

Also, Nintendo did rumble first of we're going to play that game.
I wasn't playing who did it first. I just pointed out that the dualshock design means they can replace those motors with the VCAs.

If you really wanr to go down that "who did rumble first" thing, check out the Japanese Dual Analog controller that came out with rumble. It released at the same time as the N64 rumble pak.

Spooooky.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, we don't know what Sony is cooking up. And what should not be ignored here are DF's concerns over the memory being proprietary and not expandable. That screams a smaller SSD with a larger "storage" HDD to me.

Within two sentences you go from "We don't know what Sony is cooking up" to "But we should totally talk about the negative implications I conjure up here!".

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
its the same thing, they didn't announce anything that made it sound different

dont be defensive about it I want Xbox to have it too, no controller should be without it

We haven't even used it yet. There's no way to know anything other than it's their version of HD rumble

I am not defensive about it rather being more specific because on the contrary of what you both didn't acknowledge the fact the the haptic feedback coupled with the improved sound that comes from the speaker can create a more advanced immersion without forgetting that trigger resistance (which was compared to the XB1 trigger rumble but it is different) that add even more to the gameplay interaction so in sum neither the Switch nor the XB1 have those features combined together which add to the whole experience and that is what I am talking about.
And I agree that every console should have those features so every dev will be more willing to expolit them rather than superficially scratch the surface of possibilities for just one console.

Henry Ford copied Karl Benz when he created a car with four wheels and steering wheel, see how silly it is? Let's move on people, everything is a copy of something and then improved upon, which is called innovation. And it literally doesn't matter who did what first or better, let's move on

Well said.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
What's up with all that "who did it first" dick measuring contest. Saw this in other threads too. All those companies innovated in some ways. But as the history shows pure innovation doesn't always translate to success so that's why implementation matters too.
It's like saying that the inventor of a wagon shouldn't be respected because someone created a wheel long time ago

Anyway great video. Loved the speculation and Crysis jokes. I hope DF can do more stuff like this. Interesting that they heard about 1TB SSD

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Glad raytracing hardware is confirmed. It was absolutely necessary. At least we'll have an actual visual jump next gen!

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with all that "who did it first" dick measuring contest. Saw this in other threads too. All those companies innovated in some ways. But as the history shows pure innovation doesn't always translate to success so that's why implementation matters too.
It's like saying that the inventor of a wagon shouldn't be respected because someone created a wheel long time ago

Anyway great video. Loved the speculation and Crysis jokes. I hope DF can do more stuff like this. Interesting that they heard about 1TB SSD

I think their description of the PS5 devkit was relatively mild though! Like goddamn, that thing is an abomination!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So no other known controller has or will have it.

For now yes, nothing is confirmed to have it other than the DS5 but to be more precise the gaming wheels use such methods to convey such feelings of resistance. This will be used for more than racing games though like for steering, stretching a bow, throwing something heavy or light etc...

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the rumble isn't so loud it's notoceable the switch's rumble is fucking terrible for that

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, this is the second time I have seen DF guys feeling down on Nex Gen console specs. During First Reveal, they said that RT and fastest SSD is just buzzword used by Cerny. Now they are speculating that RT hardware won't be as impressive as Nvidia's current offering.

I am here just hoping they are wrong on this matter.

Also, I will correct them here. There was no confusion on RT when even the interviewer tweeted that RT was talked in regards to visual feature not just audio