• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems the DF guys just uploaded the new video about the new DOOM patch on the Switch. Figured a new topic would've been better than bumping the year old previous topic.
I'll add what they said once I've finished the video.

* Resolution is every so slightly improved to 1080*720
* Cube maps have been added that are accurate to the scene (no enemy reflections)
* Frame-rate might be improved, but seems the same due to margin of error
* Not mentioned in the video, but added video capture us added in the latest patch

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Slight resolution bump mixed with a change to the Temporal AA which has a nice impact on IQ.
Frame rate isn't noticably improved, but with video capture added and IQ improved, it's nice performance didn't dip.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Video looks nice and smooth. Any Era opinions on how this looks and runs in handheld mode?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Video looks nice and smooth. Any Era opinions on how this looks and runs in handheld mode?
i played it beginning to end in handheld mode in 1.1.1, i was very happy with how it ran, i only noticed frame drops a few times (with one instance dropping heavily), and resolution is low, but it didn't bother me a lot. obviously coming from another version it's not going to look as pretty and detailed.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I bought this on a PSN sale recently for €8 and enjoyed the hell out of it. It ran very well on my pro. I couldn't imagine playing it in 30 fps and under though. I'd probably get a headache.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know much about the switch version, but every time the gameplay stutters in that video I get a little upset, I wouldn't want to play that way

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
i played it beginning to end in handheld mode in 1.1.1, i was very happy with how it ran, i only noticed frame drops a few times (with one instance dropping heavily), and resolution is low, but it didn't bother me a lot. obviously coming from another version it's not going to look as pretty and detailed.

I actually haven't played it in any version yet!

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to play this game on a New Switch or Switch 2 one day when it's locked to 720p most of the time in handheld. All of these variable resolution games will get upgrades day one without patches. It will be fantastic.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually haven't played it in any version yet!
i guess if you don't value portability a lot and can play on another platform, it's easy to recommend another version if only for the 60 fps experience. but if you like playing games on switch/don't have access to other platforms, i think it's a perfectly fine version of the game. i really enjoyed it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Now... try to play that version on the run... Good luck.
W2thZyO.png

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i guess if you don't value portability a lot and can play on another platform, it's easy to recommend another version if only for the 60 fps experience. but if you like playing games on switch/don't have access to other platforms, i think it's a perfectly fine version of the game. i really enjoyed it.
I have the PC version and the Switch version, playing DOOM on the go is a blast and a great experience for what it is. Some people are just having hard time to understand why others prise this version so much.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Now... try to play that version on the run... Good luck.
Had a nearly identical conversation recently. I showed him.my Switch games which included Doom and Dude wont stop about Doom on PS4 and how he would not play it with 30fps etc etc. Went on for about s minute. I asked if he takes his PS4 on the train. He changed the topic. Some people just love to shit talk Switch ports out of context.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people are just having hard time to understand why others prise this version so much.
yeah, some people were like offended when anyone said they were picking the switch version in the doom eternal announcement thread. it's obvious that it doesn't run as well as the other versions, no one can deny that, but some people value some things over others. it's great that they have an option to play these games now.

I don't want to play it on the run. Chilling on my couch is where it's at. I get motion sickness if I look at screens (movies included) when moving so I could only imagine what a 30fps game would do to me.
i can safely bet most of your library is 30 fps games already...
i mean when the option is there for 60 fps (like doom) it's perfectly fine to want that instead of a lower fps, but let's not act like 30 fps is some unplayable mess.

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I bought this on a PSN sale recently for €8 and enjoyed the hell out of it. It ran very well on my pro. I couldn't imagine playing it in 30 fps and under though. I'd probably get a headache.
I bought it for 5 usd on Pc and played it at 4k/60fps and still manage to love and enjoyed it on the switch, though appreciated it on the go. Honestly though as a console gamer you should appreciate all frame rates. ;)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now bring fallout 76 for switch!! Panic button will probably manage to fix all the bugs on the he process

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to play it on the run. Chilling on my couch is where it's at. I get motion sickness if I look at screens (movies included) when moving so I could only imagine what a 30fps game would do to me.

I don't mean to be rude, but what are you doing posting on this thread if you have no interest in this version nor anything to contribute to the discussion?

Honestly, I think this port is a little miracle. It's really amazing how they've managed to make this game run decently on such a low energy GPU.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Picking up a Switch right after Christmas. Gonna try to resist getting this right after Smash since I already beat it on PC and still want to get Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong, but it looks so good!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So, you skipped games like RDR2 or Uncharted...
No but I just find fast paced shooters like this need to be 60fps. I just completed doom yesterday. You move around so fast, constantly jumping and spinning around during combat. It's exactly the kind of game that benefits from 60fps. Is it even steady 30fps in handheld mode?

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I bought this version for the novelty, stayed because it's convenient. Nice to see they're still improving it.
I wouldn't want to play this mega-violent game in public, though.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
have you considered watching the video that the thread is about?
I skimmed through it yes. IIRC it was averaging around 28 fps? I'll double check.

Edit: yeah so portable mode has the same harsh drops as pre patch and bad frame pacing. If i was to play this version it would have to be in TV mode.

Dec 21, 2017
Had a nearly identical conversation recently. I showed him.my Switch games which included Doom and Dude wont stop about Doom on PS4 and how he would not play it with 30fps etc etc. Went on for about s minute. I asked if he takes his PS4 on the train. He changed the topic. Some people just love to shit talk Switch ports out of context.
Psh PS4 version? Xbox One X version is where it's at anyway.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sorry to ask this but I'm super excited to know and I can't watch the video yet; what does the 1080*720 in the OP mean?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

Having a Switch, I still probably wouldn't play Doom on it unless that was my only option.

I think there are some games tailor made for the Switch, and work well in the context of playing on a train or on the go. Doom doesn't seem like that kind of game to me.

It's a testament to how good the Switch is that it can even run games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2, not to mention the process of the game developers... Kudos to them for continuing to improve it as well.

But yeah, my Switch (which I love) is mostly relegated to games exclusive to the system.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You should not play Doom on the Switch if you have other options.

However, if you really want to play it in handheld mode then this is a really cool port and we'll worth picking up.

Personally I love playing it handheld and I've put almost as much time into the Switch version as I have on the Xbox One. The biggest drawback with the port continues to be audio quality. The game just sounds better, as well as looking and running better, on the other machines.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Platinumed the game on PS4 and loved it. Been replaying it more casually on Switch over time and still love it. It's an excellent game regardless of platform and adding the portability on top makes it extra special, IMO. The compromises in this port are justified.

If you have other means to play the game, then certainly pursue those options. If all you have is a Switch, you shouldn't rob yourself of the opportunity to play one of 2016's most surprising hits. Assuming this kind of game is your thing, of course.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

However, if you really want to play it in handheld mode then this is a really cool port and we'll worth picking up.

Personally I love playing it handheld and I've put almost as much time into the Switch version as I have on the Xbox One. The biggest drawback with the port continues to be audio quality. The game just sounds better, as well as looking and running better, on the other machines.

I've held off on picking Doom up since I have it for the X1 and PS4. Portability is seriously attractive to me, but I'm having trouble justifying it. Same w/ Skyrim. I can play it on my PC at extra spicy settings and mods out the wazoo, and while having it portable would be neat, it just feels like it would be a watered down experience.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I have the PC version and the Switch version, playing DOOM on the go is a blast and a great experience for what it is. Some people are just having hard time to understand why others prise this version so much.

Some people don't really see the appeal of 'on the go' - I'm one of them. I've always gamed at home and though I've got a Switch, I can't really get into playing it on trains or buses or whatever. It came in great when I was on holiday, but even then, I was playing for an hour or two to wind down in the hotel, not on trains or buses.

Everyone's different: if some people prefer an on-the-go experience, all power to them - I'm glad that option's there - but I do find it odd how the 'but can you play it on the go' argument is often tabled as some kind of primary perk for all users - it's really not for everyone and if a person doesn't value that, you can't expect them to see it as a reasonable trade-off.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No doubt.

I have it on PS4 but put way more time into the Switch version, just because it's fun as hell to play it at work. Stressed out about office life? Get your headphones on, your Switch turned on, and your fuckin Super Shotgun ready.
Some people don't really see the appeal of 'on the go' - I'm one of them. I've always gamed at home and though I've got a Switch, I can't really get into playing it on trains or buses or whatever. It came in great when I was on holiday, but even then, I was playing for an hour or two to wind down in the hotel, not on trains or buses.

Everyone's different: if some people prefer an on-the-go experience, all power to them - I'm glad that option's there - but I do find it odd how the 'but can you play it on the go' argument is often tabled as some kind of primary perk for all users - it's really not for everyone and if a person doesn't value that, you can't expect them to see it as a reasonable trade-off.
Could you not say the same thing about a graphics bump, though?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

to the person who doesn't care about portability and prefers to play on a console, this version is a complete non-factor and doesn't matter to them how well or bad it runs. what happens more than people telling console players how portability is a good tradeoff for downgraded graphics is that some console players don't seem to understand (or in some cases, are bothered or annoyed) how someone would prefer a portable version even if it comes with downgrades.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Out of context? Saying it's 30 fps is not out of context. It's absolutely true. If your logic is dismissing any warranted criticism of a game that runs sub 720p in 2018 by saying you can take it portable than what's the point of being engaged in these topics in the first place?

People have their limits, in a frenetic game like DOOM saying you wouldn't want to play it at 30 fps is absolutely valid.