• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One of the most celebrated FPS franchise giants has finally returned to the House of Mario. Going back more than two decades, Nintendo hardware has always had a unique relationship with the series. Doom for the Super NES, sluggish though it may be, was a technical showpiece for Nintendo's 16-bit machine while the Game Boy Advance conversion felt like holding the future in your hands. There are echoes of this in Bethesda's Switch port of the Doom 2016 reboot. This is mobile technology pushed kicking and screaming to its absolute limits.

Against all odds, developer Panic Button has succeeded in bringing the entirety of the Doom experience to Nintendo's latest machine and it mostly works, though the brutal nature of many of the compromises may well be too much for series purists. In assessing this port, a little perspective is required. The fact it exists at all is somewhat miraculous, and we can't go in expecting a pixel-for-pixel match with the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

More at link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dooms-impossible-switch-port-analysed

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Portable DOOM is great to have, even with the cuts. I really hope this game does well. This can show other developers and publishers that even a pared back experience can still be highly enjoyable for the players (and profitable for the companies)

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dooms-impossible-switch-port-analysed

Doom does not run at 720p on the Switch - though the resolution may scale to those heights in less complex scenes. As with the original, the Switch version makes use of an adaptive resolution and the typical results observed during gameplay tend to hover around the 600p mark when docked.

It's difficult to get an exact figure due to the super-aggressive temporal anti-aliasing but we've commonly observed results in the 1088x612 range while connected to an HDTV. In select scenes, the resolution does jump up, but typically only when nothing is happening. Beyond that, the depth of field buffer and alpha effects all appear to be rendered at quarter resolution, which can give a 360p-like presentation in some respects.

unlike the other versions, you cannot increase the field of view - it's locked at 90 degrees on Switch.

Based on the testing we did with a low-spec PC downclocked to give ballpark Switch GPU and CPU performance, it's amazing that the game manages to reach any resolution beyond 540p.

What's more surprising here is how good Doom looks even when running at lower than low settings - no matter how much you hack and slash at game's visual make-up, it's still recognisably Doom.

It's even more remarkable bearing in mind that it's not just the texture quality that gets cut down. Lights are pulled further in on Switch, for example. On PS4 and Xbox One, this setting was already reduced but on Switch, large areas are all but devoid of these lights. Screen-space reflections are also absent on Switch. These received a lot of use previously, so the loss is noticeable. There is also a lot of visible banding on Switch.

There are basically two issues to address and the first one could potentially be corrected with a patch. Bad frame-pacing essentially makes the game look jerkier than it should, delivering new frames at 16ms, 33ms and 50ms intervals when running at 30fps.

During any major fire fight, performance starts to drop below the 30fps line leading to a prolonged loss in fluidity. When this happens, the game speed itself seems to be impacted by it, leading to an almost slow-motion effect at times.

In the final analysis, the Doom Switch conversion remains a remarkable release - we dubbed it 'the impossible port' and while we now have a firmer understanding of how this thankless task was achieved, we have mixed feelings about the end result. It's equally impressive and subpar at the same time. It looks and runs worse than any other version but on the other hand, it's a huge accomplishment for the Switch hardware itself and still manages to look pretty nice in the process.

Comparison pics at the link.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We put Doom on the Switch through its paces and come away mostly impressed. Compromises are expected but the results come surprisingly close to matching the original experience. That's not to say everything is perfect - we uncover a few unexpected issues with this conversion.
  • 600p~ish
  • 720p~ish when nothing is happening in certain areas
  • 360p~ alpha + DOF
  • 30fps with framepacing issues
  • still a huge technical achievement
Interesting results imo. I'm looking forward to picking it up, although definitely will be sticking with portable. Hopefully this will also put to rest the idea that any current gen game can be ported "if there is a will", given that this was a 60fps game which runs at less than half the framerate and resolution on Swiich even with extremely low settings. AAA games which struggle to maintain 30fps on PS4/XB1 at <1080p are probably not ever going to come over successfully.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Those are a hell of a lot of sacrifices and cutbacks. Expected but still.

edit: Yeesh, drops to 20fps.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me a lot of old PC to console ports. Far from the best version of the game but shockingly accomplished for the hardware. Fascinating port. Lots more detail in the article. John goes pretty deep on this one.

Against all odds, developer Panic Button has succeeded in bringing the entirety of the Doom experience to Nintendo's latest machine and it mostly works, though the brutal nature of many of the compromises may well be too much for series purists.

This port is content complete, and every level from the original release is present and correct. There was concern that stages would need to be divided up to fit into memory but that's not the case at all. Encounters play out just as they did on the more powerful console platforms, and every stage is presented as a complete experience.

Doom does not run at 720p on the Switch - though the resolution may scale to those heights in less complex scenes. As with the original, the Switch version makes use of an adaptive resolution and the typical results observed during gameplay tend to hover around the 600p mark when docked.

The presentation holds up on the Switch's six-inch tablet-style screen - though resolution drops to around 576p here - but blow it up on your HDTV and it starts to break down into a soupy mess.

Bad frame-pacing essentially makes the game look jerkier than it should, delivering new frames at 16ms, 33ms and 50ms intervals when running at 30fps. Correctly implemented frame-pacing would lock this to a locked 33ms per-frame persistence, giving a more solid, consistent experience.

In the final analysis, the Doom Switch conversion remains a remarkable release - we dubbed it 'the impossible port' and while we now have a firmer understanding of how this thankless task was achieved, we have mixed feelings about the end result. It's equally impressive and subpar at the same time. It looks and runs worse than any other version but on the other hand, it's a huge accomplishment for the Switch hardware itself and still manages to look pretty nice in the process.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-dooms-impossible-switch-port-analysed

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's an impressive port but maybe the compromises are a bit too much. For a notoriously flexible engine, running at 620p (or something) at 30fps with dips is rough. It's weird because the game keeps most of the beautiful effects from the base game, and I'd rather they take them out to get a crisper image.

How on earth are they going to make Wolfenstein 2 work if that's the best we can do for Doom?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Good gravy, "portable" or not this sounds like a mess. I can't justify playing such horribly downgraded versions in portable even. Shadowgun Legends on mobile is where it is at for portable shooter fun, and the Switch can stay relegated to Nintendo first party exclusives for me like it has been destined to do with the low power hardware.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I remember the original trailer having SSR, is it completely absent from all levels on the Switch? If they can get a low-res DoF in there, then I'm sure a low-res SSR implementation wouldn't be that expensive. Personally I would have no trouble playing this at 30fps or in the blurry state it's in, aside from the uneven frame pacing which I guess I could get used to after a while. This does prove one thing though, and it's that Switch can absolutely run 60fps current-gen AAA games at 30fps. Games being ported to Switch also means that mobile hardware will be able to play them, I would play Doom on my phone.

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully this will also put to rest the idea that any current gen game can be ported "if there is a will", given that this was a 60fps game which runs at less than half the framerate and resolution on Swiich even with extremely low settings. AAA games which struggle to maintain 30fps on PS4/XB1 at <1080p are probably not ever going to come over successfully.
60fps is overrated. Not everybody wants or needs that. If it's stable 30fps, thats good for me. A lot of games plays at 30fps on the Switch and that's not a problem.
I'd prefer a 60fps experience if I play multi, like I play Overwatch on my PC but for a solo game, as long as ther's no frame drop, you get used to the framerate.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60fps is overrated. Not everybody wants or needs that. If it's stable 30fps, thats good for me. A lot of games plays at 30fps on the Switch and that's not a problem.
I'd prefer a 60fps experience if I play multi, like I play Overwatch on my PC but for a solo game, as long as ther's no frame drop, you get used to the framerate.
That's fine, I'm just saying this was a 60fps game on PS4/XB1 and still had to have huuuuge cutbacks, so it's unlikely that games which are struggling to hit 30 on consoles could do the same.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of surprised of how competent the port was when I was playing portablely.

Interested to see how Wolfenstein 2 will perform next.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well I'm impressed and will surely double-dip once the price drops by a good margin. I'd love some worthwhile Doom on the go, but geez guys, it's available for a fraction of the price on all other platforms.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an impressive port but maybe the compromises are a bit too much. For a notoriously flexible engine, running at 620p (or something) at 30fps with dips is rough. It's weird because the game keeps most of the beautiful effects from the base game, and I'd rather they take them out to get a crisper image.

How on earth are they going to make Wolfenstein 2 work if that's the best we can do for Doom?
MAybe they'll take out those beautiful effects from the base game :P

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I feel sorry for people that were using this game as switch being able to handle next gen games. 600fps with 20-30fps, doesn't bode well for game running at 30fps, seems impossible.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The people in the OT are quite impressed. I might not be as good looking but it is Doom and that's a wonderful achievement. Congrats Panic Button and Bethesda for this "impossible port".

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew John wouldn't pull any punches analyzing this game. It's a very rough looking port.

There is certainly a novelty to having this game on a handheld though.

Just a dream but could you imagine if the new metroid prime 4 ran on this engine?

God please no. Did you watch the video? Framerate in the low 20's during intense action. Metroid on the Switch needs to be a solid 60. Anything less would be unacceptable.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Good gravy, "portable" or not this sounds like a mess. I can't justify playing such horribly downgraded versions in portable even. Shadowgun Legends on mobile is where it is at for portable shooter fun, and the Switch can stay relegated to Nintendo first party exclusives for me like it has been destined to do with the low power hardware.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
From the other thread:
I remember the original trailer having SSR, is it completely absent from all levels on the Switch? If they can get a low-res DoF in there, then I'm sure a low-res SSR implementation wouldn't be that expensive. Personally I would have no trouble playing this at 30fps or in the blurry state it's in, aside from the uneven frame pacing which I guess I could get used to after a while. This does prove one thing though, and it's that Switch can absolutely run 60fps current-gen AAA games at 30fps. Games being ported to Switch also means that mobile hardware will be able to play them, I would play Doom on my phone.

Basically, I commend Panic Button for all their work.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I can't imagine how Wolf 2 is going to turn out if this is how Doom ended up. Wolf 2 is by all accounts a more demanding game.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive in some ways but I'm not really sure that it's something that I'd really want to play as i already own the PS4 version. It's pretty good for people who do want it though.

I think for me, it's a little like Skyrim in that if I was to buy another copy then I think I'd really prefer to buy the PSVR versions as they seem to add far more to the experience than the Switch versions.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has the developer really achieved a technical feat here? Or does the technical feat actually lie in the engine's own flexibility and the way it was designed in the first place. I mean Wolfenstein TNO was running nicely on last gen consoles, and while DOOM clearly takes things to the next level, you can tell it's the same engine underneath it all. Perhaps this should be more kudos to id's work on the engine in the first place.

Regardless, I was one of those who said I wouldn't bother with this on Switch having enjoyed it at 60fps on PS4. But I can't think of another recent game I'd love to replay again more than this, and I've got a boring work conference coming up soon, so might be the opportunity to grab this and plough through it to alleviate the boredom :)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Why would this be an "impossible port" if Sonic Forces' Switch port isn't?

Seems like they make the same kind of compromises.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has the developer really achieved a technical feat here? Or does the technical feat actually lie in the engine's own flexibility and the way it was designed in the first place. I mean Wolfenstein TNO was running nicely on last gen consoles, and while DOOM clearly takes things to the next level, you can tell it's the same engine underneath it all. Perhaps this should be more kudos to id's work on the engine in the first place.

But it's not. The New Order uses id Tech 5. This uses id Tech 6.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive that they were able to port the full game content over to the Switch but my goodness, there are a number of concessions that had to be made for the sake of portability. And this is a full-priced game? Ack

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That was a great analysis. Very reasonable and fair. Can't wait to pick this game up!

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Doom holds up shockingly well, from the looks of it. Idk what this means for 30 fps openworld games, though. We know it can handle 60fps linear games at least, with minimal compromise. A lot of downgrading would be necessary for something like AC: O, or FFXV, it seems. Probably too much work to be worth it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 2 is gonna have it's work cut out for it.

if anything, this will make any original shooter on switch (lol at that though) all the more interesting visually

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Cancelled my preorder after much deliberation but I'm still thinking about buying this version sooner than later. 60€ is a lot to ask for though..

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Doom is better then I expected it to be. Even with the downgrades, it still delivers the Doom experience.

Very well done, and I've no regrets on my purchase.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
That's....not how this works.

A game specifically built for Switch on id Tech 6 (or any engine) could absolutely hit a locked 60fps if that's what the devs prioritized.

And at what cost, exactly? Metroid Prime is a very different beast than DOOM. Firefights probably won't be as hectic, but if it comes out like this particular game, total skip.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017

30fps is perfectly liveable, and tons of AAA games both last-gen and this run at that. However, portability aside this game runs at sub-HD resolutions in both modes with what is, by all accounts, an unstable framerate in combat and has poor frame pacing even when it's consistently hitting 30.

Like, portable mode tends to run at ~576p, according to the analysis. That's basically Vita resolution, and doesn't sound great as a benchmark for how Wolf 2 will turn out.