• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Summary:

- Switch is 720p on both portable and docked, PS4 1080p, PS4 Pro doesn't seem to be supported (resolution/performance mostly identical to PS4)
- Docked Switch and PS4 are 60fps, portable Switch seems to be unlocked, but mostly 30fps
- Shadow quality slightly reduced on Switch. Otherwise visuals seem to be identical, outside of resolution.
- Minor performance drops on both Switch and PS4
- Camera panning doesn't seem to be as smooth as it should (affects both systems)

Looks like a solid port.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Nice. I'm happy that this is looking like a solid port. I thought the demo was quite good, and performed well undocked. I'll definitely be picking this one up when it releases.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so pumped for this! Already sold my PS4 copy since this is one of those games to play before sleeping. <3

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Demo on switch sold me on the game, I think I'll be picking it up. Gives me that Fantasy Life/Stardew Valley fix I need every so often.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would've much rather they offered a performance and quality mode. Performance for 60fps at 720p docked and 540p handheld, and quality for 30fps at 1080p docked and 720p handheld. Framerate gaps like this are much more jarring than resolution changes.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Im having so much fun with the demo again, playing portable is working really great for me

But at this point, I think I might wait for 2? We are probably a year out from that tops, even in the west

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
it seems digital foundry is unaware of the framerate bug in the western release of the ps4 version

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was pretty solid on PS4 and by now you can get it for ~$20 when it goes on sale. I may pick it up again next time it does it was an ok game, though a bit limited on the freedom of the creation aspect.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the demo on the Switch but didn't find it particularly compelling, so it's a skip for me on all platforms.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Do they compare handheld mode switch with the Vita version? That's the comparison I am interested in.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The camera panning and drops may be because the bug in the western version, it's possible that the Switch version has it.
Basically holding an item introduces some kind of frame-pacing issue. Moving around without holding anything makes the game smoother.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The camera thing must be some kind of bug, iirc the japanese PS4 version doesn't have it. They never bothered to fix it.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Do they compare handheld mode switch with the Vita version? That's the comparison I am interested in.
They do compare the visuals in both modes, and they seem to be identical apart from higher shadow draw distance in docked mode. Also compared to PS4, docked mode looks apparently the same but in lower resolution. Maybe you can extrapolate a Vita comparison from that if you've seen both PS4 and Vita versions.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
The camera panning and drops may be because the bug in the western version, it's possible that the Switch version has it.
Basically holding an item introduces some kind of frame-pacing issue. Moving around without holding anything makes the game smoother.

The camera thing must be some kind of bug, iirc the japanese PS4 version doesn't have it. They never bothered to fix it.
the bug is not present in the switch version

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is based on the demo version. Any chances of improvement even if just a little upon final release?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
720p in docked is really disappointing. Games not really something that benefits from 60fps like an FPS or something would. Wish there was an option for visuals over framerate.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see Switch holding up. PS4 looks good too. Gonna give a try on ps4.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I really digged the demo but I'm a bit afraid of picking up the game since I've heard that the game "resets" your progress with every chapter.

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
720p docked seems odd, but good to know the game runs well! If I didn't have this game on the PS4, I definitely would jump on the Switch version.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I need to finish Xenoblade 2 before Dragon Quest Builders, the demo was dangerously addicting and the classic Dragon Quest music is an icing on the cake.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
720p docked seems odd, but good to know the game runs well! If I didn't have this game on the PS4, I definitely would jump on the Switch version.

I thought so too but if it is 60 fps locked vs mostly 30 undocked. That's double the frames. 720p to 1080p is about twice the pixel count. They probably could do 1080p 30 fps docked

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
every game benefits from 60fps
I know this. I have a gaming PC and love playing all my games at 60fps+. Feels great. Didn't say it doesn't benefit. Just that it doesn't benefit like an FPS game would or a fighting game, which is true. You're not gonna be pulling off insane tricks and combos and crap in this game. Thats why I say I wish I could play in 30fps docked if it meant 1080p resolution. 720p looks like shit on my larger TV.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this. I have a gaming PC and love playing all my games at 60fps+. Feels great. Didn't say it doesn't benefit. Just that it doesn't benefit like an FPS game would or a fighting game, which is true. You're not gonna be pulling off insane tricks and combos and crap in this game. Thats why I say I wish I could play in 30fps docked if it meant 1080p resolution. 720p looks like shit on my larger TV.
It's really not too bad in this game due to the cartoony art style. You should try the demo if you haven't already. 60fps was definitely the right call for this particular game.

Played the demo on PS4 but never bought it. Switch seems like a better match. What's the price on this?
$50