• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017

• GTX 1060 / MAX / GAMEWORKS : 42.9 fps (average)
  • GTX 1060/ MAX / NO GAMEWORKS : 56.0 fps (average)
  • GTX 1060 / STANDART : 65.9 fps (average)
Hairworks is the real reason why the performance tanks that hard.

• RX 580 / MAX / GAMEWORKS : 20.3 fps (average) / (terrible frame times – nearly unplayable in battle scene)
untitledczoxc.png

• RX 580 / MAX / NO GAMEWORKS : 47.5 fps (average)
  • RX 580 / STANDART : 56.7 fps (average)

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still annoyed that a pretty big spoiler is in the benchmark. Worse yet, it's one of the first things featured in the video. So if you care about FF15 spoilers, skip ahead to about one minute in. I don't know if they replay that segment again, though, so tread with caution.

Last edited:

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still annoyed that a pretty big character spoiler is in the benchmark. Worse yet, it's one of the first things featured in the video. So if you care about FF15 spoilers, skip ahead to about one minute in. I don't know if they replay that segment again, though, so tread with caution.

I actually thought the same thing (this isn't related to Digital Foundry in any way to make this clear). I thought that Ramuh would have been better to showcase as far as summons go personally.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm still annoyed that a pretty big character spoiler is in the benchmark. Worse yet, it's one of the first things featured in the video. So if you care about FF15 spoilers, skip ahead to about one minute in. I don't know if they replay that segment again, though, so tread with caution.
Are you aware that I, a person who hasn't played the game but has run the benchmark, wouldn't have felt spoiled if I hadn't read the 4903684267246 complains from people who have played the game? I would have forgotten about it before playing the game because I wouldn't have paid attention. Now I know it's a spoiler and I will realise immediately when I play the game.

Thanks guys.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Posts complaining about spoilers are just as bad, often worse, than the spoilers themselves.

You guys are literally spoiling things for people who have not played the game before and are completely oblivious of what they're seeing. Because of your posts they know they've been spoiled, something they wouldn't know or care about otherwise.

Are you aware that I, a person who hasn't played the game but has run the benchmark, wouldn't have felt spoiled if I hadn't read the 4903684267246 complains from people who have played the game? I would have forgotten about it before playing the game because I wouldn't have paid attention. Now I know it's a spoiler and I will realise immediately when I play the game.

Thanks guys.

I'm sorry it happened. I know exactly what you mean. For what it's worth the thing isn't as big as the above posters are making it sound. It wouldn't or shouldn't enjoy the crux of the game's story or your perceived enjoyment of it.

On topic. If I ever get the PC version, turning off the extra "works" shit immediately. I would rather have those resources go to performance, draw distance or texture quality etc instead of completely needless effects which have little impact on the actual visual makeup of the game.

Last edited:

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Yeah can't say I'm surprised at the gameworks stuff not being worth it, have generally had poor experience with that in the past. Always had to turn it off on the Batman Arkham games, with the one fine exception oddly being a couple of Knight's settings.

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah can't say I'm surprised at the gameworks stuff not being worth it, have generally had poor experience with that in the past. Always had to turn it off on the Batman Arkham games, with the one fine exception oddly being a couple of Knight's settings.

Not surprised either. Turned off hairworks in Witcher 3 almost right away. Not worth it.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

Thanks guys.
Blame DF not the guy complaining... to be fair the guy did a good job in the first post so most guys won't watch the video.

Posts complaining about spoilers are just as bad, often worse, than the spoilers themselves.
They are not... without these posts you will be spoiled but know you won't watch the video because the post helped you.

Thanks to let us know the video contain spoilers... that way more users won't watch it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Blame DF not the guy complaining... to be fair the guy did a good job in the first post so most guys won't watch the video.
I haven't even watched the DF video, I'm complaining in general, in the benchmark thread I saw TONS of complains *after* I ran the benchmark, and that's what made me feel spoiled, not the benchmark itself. Ugh.

KingBean

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There is a spoiler? I haven't played past like chapter 4 and I don't recall there being a character spoiler when I ran the benchmark on my pc. If you're referring to the not ramuh summon at the end then I don't know what to say. That summon is a staple of the series and doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I haven't even watched the DF video, I'm complaining in general, in the benchmark thread I saw TONS of complains *after* I ran the benchmark, and that's what made me feel spoiled, not the benchmark itself. Ugh.
The benchmark should not have spoilers... it is the benchmark issue and not the user rightfully complaining about that... it is unfortunately that you did run the benchmark without any warning about that (that is another SE fault with the benchmark) but people need to complain to others users knows it has spoiler due of the bad job of the Publisher with the benchmark.

DF should put an spoiler alert in the video... this thread should have one too.

Cindered

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys.

This, so much this. The worst thing is, even though I knew of the existance of the spoiler, I didn't what it was until this thread gave context to it. Context is far, far more important than just seemingly random imagery.
The benchmark should not have spoilers... it is the benchmark issue and not the user rightfully complaining about that....

Without any context, there was no spoiler, the benchmark wasn't the problem here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Gamernexus did a video or two on this last week I think. Actually it was about 4. They noticed things with the benchmark and broke it down, it's something they mess with a lot.

1st:
FFXV Bench: CPU numThread, SMT, NV/AMD GameWorks Scaling [Update]

2nd:
FFXV GPU Benchmark & Technical Graphics Analysis

3rd:
Misleading FFXV Benchmark: GameWorks Object Improper Culling

4th:
SMT & Hyperthreading On vs. Off, & Validating FFXV Findings

It just seems like a bad benchmark all around. I regret downloading it. I still have FFXIV Storm Blood benchmark to go with my other benchmarks though.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The benchmark should not have spoilers... it is the benchmark issue and not the user rightfully complaining about that... it is unfortunately that you did run the benchmark without any warning about that (that is another SE fault with the benchmark) but people need to complain to others users knows it has spoiler due of the bad job of the Publisher with the benchmark.

The thing is people like me didn't know they got spoiled by the benchmark, and would have quickly forgotten about it's content details if we did not read after the fact that what we saw was actually a character spoiler.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Blame DF for what ? putting out the benchmark ? It's not their fault, they're simply using video from a free available tool

They are not... without these posts you will be spoiled but know you won't watch the video because the post helped you.

No, the post did not help anyone. It's only a "spoiler" for those who've played the game. For those who are new to the game, it's just a few seconds of nothing until other people start coming in with posts like "Oh you just got spoiled about something fam". Then the posters know they maybe saw some spoilers. Otherwise they would not know.

Have you played the game before ? If you have then and only then you'll know what the actual spoiler is. Otherwise it's nothing and you should watch the video because it's relevant information about the game's performance.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
So i have a 1060, all this is showing me is that i need a 1080ti and that I absolutely can't afford one thanks to miners. Yey.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So i have a 1060, all this is showing me is that i need a 1080ti and that I absolutely can't afford one thanks to miners. Yey.

I was able to get 5700 on my 1060 Max Q laptop on Standard. You should be able to get a solid 60 fps on standard on a laptop or desktop 1060. That and we already know the benchmark has some issues. The final game should comfortably allow us to play 1080/60 (on standard or a mix of standard with higher settings + gameworks off) on a 1060 equivalent card.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks guys.

Exactly.
Guys screaming "spoilers!!!!!" in every damn thread are doing more damage if anything...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
SE has too much stuff rendered when it doesn't need to be. More than stuff that gameworks is messing with. They need to fix all that.

The Gamernexus videos makes me wonder what's going on in the FFXII The Zodiac Age port. It seem like a hog for a PS2 port.

PCSX2 Emulation
L1BETjN.jpg

PC Port TZA
3TEmwQi.jpg

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks guys.

You guys are literally spoiling things for people who have not played the game before and are completely oblivious of what they're seeing. Because of your posts they know they've been spoiled, something they wouldn't know or care about otherwise.

Don't shoot the messenger. Blame Square Enix for putting a spoiler in the benchmark, and Digital Foundry for not considering that it was a spoiler when making the video. I wanted to warn people not to watch the video if they wanted to avoid spoilers, because it's a spoiler for a game that many people looking to play it on PC haven't actually picked up yet. I even said to skip a minute into the video to avoid said spoiler.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Don't shoot the messenger. Blame Square Enix for putting a spoiler in the benchmark, and Digital Foundry for not considering that it was a spoiler when making the video. I wanted to warn people not to watch the video if they wanted to avoid spoilers, because it's a spoiler for a game that many people looking to play it on PC haven't actually picked up yet.

For context, this is what the video spoils:

In FFXV, Gentiana is shadowing you for the whole story, often wordlessly appearing in Prompto's photographs as an ethereal presence. In the canon, Shiva is established to have been dead for a very long time, but when Noctis is cornered by Ardyn, Gentiana appears and assumes her true form as Shiva to save him. The twist in of itself has been totally ruined by it appearing in a free benchmark that spoils a neat twist for people who haven't even played the game, clearly showing Gentiana transform into Shiva. Not only that, it reveals that Shiva herself was never dead in the first place.

Well, congratulations. If people didn't already knew the benchmark had some kind of spoiler in it, now they most certainly do :)

You ought to realize that completely out of context those few seconds in the benchmark mean absolutely nothing for someone who hasn't played the game before. I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Blame DF for what ? putting out the benchmark ? It's not their fault, they're simply using video from a free available tool

No, the post did not help anyone. It's only a "spoiler" for those who've played the game. For those who are new to the game, it's just a few seconds of nothing until other people start coming in with posts like "Oh you just got spoiled about something fam". Then the posters know they maybe saw some spoilers. Otherwise they would not know.

Have you played the game before ? If you have then and only then you'll know what the actual spoiler is. Otherwise it's nothing and you should watch the video because it's relevant information about the game's performance.
Anybody that played the game is not being spoiled... these that didn't play the game that are being spoiled and they need to know that to choose if they will watch or not the the video with spoiler (in this case run the benchmark too).

It is like you saying I won't be spoiler watching a cene of Red Wedding in Games of Thrones because I never watched the series... of course you are being spoiled and pretty big one spoiler in this case... if I even choose to watch the series then I will know what it will happen in the future lol (that breaks the impact of a really important part of the story in GoT).

Well, congratulations. If people didn't already knew the benchmark had some kind of spoiler in it, now they most certainly do :)

You ought to realize that completely out of context those few seconds in the benchmark mean absolutely nothing for someone who hasn't played the game before. I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp.
People that never played the game are the ones that SHOULD know it has spoilers in the benchmark/video before run/watch... the guy even helped saying where you can start to watch the video.

You should thank him.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

You oughta realize completely out of context those few seconds in the benchmark mean absolutely nothing for someone who hasn't played the game before. I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp.
I said in my post that people should skip forward a minute to avoid being spoiled. I did not outright state what was being spoiled. Even without knowing there was a spoiler, people who saw this video or ran the benchmark would be totally aware of the twist the moment they saw the core elements of the spoiler and dialogue relating to it, since it's foreshadowed so early on in the story.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody that played the game is not being spoiled... these that didn't play the game that are being spoiled and they need to know that to choose if they will watch or not the the video with spoiler (in this case run the benchmark too).

It is like you saying I won't be spoiler watching a cene of Red Wedding in Games of Thrones because I never watched the series... of course you are being spoiled and pretty big one spoiler in this case... if I even choose to watch the series then I will know what it will happen in the future lol (that breaks the impact of a really important part of the story in GoT).

Except it's nowhere near as big as being spoiled about the red wedding. It's just a 3 second thing most people wouldn't even remember unless they were being beaten on their heads with a spoiler hammer.

There is a much better way to go about this. The first post could have easily said "Slightly warning for first-time players, there may be a few spoilers for the game in there". Instead of directly saying
"OH I CANT BELIEVE THEY SPOILED A BIG CHARACTER IN THE BENCHMARK".

There was no need to go into specifics about the spoiler, people didn't need to know what the spoiler was. A simple warning would be more than enough.

You see how easy it was ?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Except it's nowhere near as big as being spoiled about the red wedding. It's just a 3 second thing most people wouldn't even remember unless they were being beaten on their heads with a spoiler hammer.

There is a much better way to go about this. The first post could have easily said "Slightly warning for first-time players, there may be a few spoilers for the game in there". Instead of directly saying "OH I CANT BELIEVE THEY SPOILED A BIG CHARACTER IN THE BENCHMARK".

There was no need to go into specifics about the spoiler, people didn't need to know what the spoiler was. A simple warning would be more than enough.

You see how easy it was ?
If you move the goal to how the guy tried to help yeap I agree he could choose better words but your post since beginning is blaming somebody that tried to help when you should blame SE and DF.

BTW not everybody forget scenes watched... even 3 seconds ones... it is a spoiler no matter 3s or 1 hour.

I'm out now... I just found sad a guy that did a service for the community being crushed instead thanked.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you move the goal to how the guy tried to help yeap I agree he could choose better words but your post since beginning is blaming somebody that tried to help when you should blame SE and DF.

Because it was a needless thing. Telling people they're being spoiled about something when there's no context for it is just as bad as being spoiled itself.

Did SE fuck up by putting it in the benchmark ? Yes, sure. But people repeatedly announcing it to others and specifying what exactly is being spoiled are worse than anything in the benchmark.

DF are in no way to blame, they're simply using the benchmark itself for performance calibration on different hardware. Blaming them for anything wouldn't make any sense.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This thread has been completely derailed, and now I don't know if I can watch the video or not, since I haven't played the game.

I'm working with an i5 2500k, 8GB of ram, and a GTX 1060 6GB. Can I at least count on 1080p / 60 fps at PS4 level iq and visuals, or above?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has been completely derailed, and now I don't know if I can watch the video or not, since I haven't played the game.

I'm working with an i5 2500k, 8GB of ram, and a GTX 1060 6GB. Can I at least count on 1080p / 60 fps at PS4 level iq and visuals, or above?

You might get something around 45~50 FPS on "standard" settings which I'm assuming are console quality.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Because it was a needless thing. Telling people they're being spoiled about something when there's no context for it is just as bad as being spoiled itself.

Did SE fuck up by putting it in the benchmark ? Yes, sure. But people repeatedly announcing it to others and specifying what exactly is being spoiled are worse than anything in the benchmark.

DF are in no way to blame, they're simply using the benchmark itself for performance calibration on different hardware. Blaming them for anything wouldn't make any sense.
I just saw one guy warning about spoiler in this thread (in the first post that is the best for these cases)... there is no repeatedly announce here.
DF is to blame too because they released a video that contains spoiler without says so... they could warning like I said or cut the spoiler part... it is their job.
SE is to blame because it is fucking stupid put spoiler scenes in benchmarks, videos, trailers, etc.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

BTW not everybody forget scenes watched... even 3 seconds ones... it is a spoiler no matter 3s or 1 hour.

I'm out now... I just found sad a guy that did a service for the community being crushed instead thanked.
Well, I appreciate what you said either way. Yeah, I could've phrased it better, but in the moment I just wanted to give people a spoiler warning and a timestamp they could skip to to avoid being spoiled.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can play with gameworks and have a good framerate but whatever, I'm disabling it. Not worth the performance hit, since it hits in areas that don't even take advantage.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
You might get something around 45~50 FPS on "standard" settings which I'm assuming are console quality.

Hmm do you think I'd be better off playing at 1080p on an Xbox One X? I know my PC probably has an edge in raw power and memory, but the One X has less overhead and may have been optimized a bit more finely?

No idea, I have a i7700k 4.5ghz, gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb ram, SSD Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nvme ssd and i found that it ran like trash. Thats the standard one.

Yikes that's not reassuring at all.

Last edited:

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017

No idea, I have a i7700k 4.5ghz, gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb ram, SSD Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nvme ssd and i found that it ran like trash. Thats the standard one.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw one guy warning about spoiler in this thread (in the first post that is the best for these cases)... there is no repeatedly announce here.
DF is to blame too because they released a video that contains spoiler without says so... they could warning like I said or cut the spoiler part... it is their job.
SE is to blame because it is fucking stupid put spoiler scenes in benchmarks, videos, trailers, etc.

The spoiler thing is not specific to just this thread, it was happening all over in the actual benchmark topic too. It was fairly annoying to read as a user who has also finished the game.
DF doesn't need to put a spoiler warning. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the editors or commentators realized what the spoiler is, or cared enough about it.
SE is only to blame for putting it, but you can't ask companies to not put anything in the trailers etc, otherwise there won't be any trailers.

Triscuitable can you at least edit the first post so it doesn't seem obvious that:
the spoiler is related to a character

Hmm do you think I'd be better off playing at 1080p on an Xbox One X? I know my PC probably has an edge in raw power and memory, but the One X has less overhead and may have been optimized a bit more finely?

I'm not an expert but I would say yes, based on your specs (and if you already have an XBX) you'll find a better experience there. Your CPU has less memory bandwidth than mine but slightly higher clock and more potential to OC, you have 8GB RAM (which might be less and you're not in dual channel mode). Your card is good for 1080p/60 (I have the same card but i5 7300HQ and I get 57~FPS on standard in the benchmark at 1080p/standard settings).

You can play in a much higher resolution on your XBX with the only downside being that you'll need to use one of the 30 FPS modes (preferably higher resolution) as the unlocked mode doesn't exactly run that good, you won't get anywhere near 60 FPS in most cases.

If you absolutely want higher frame rate than you can stick with the PC version and play with the settings in the final game (which is said to be better optimized than this benchmark) to get there. But you won't be able to reach the XBX resolution.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect the Gameworks stuff to ever run decently on AMD, but if they clean up the stutter before release or with new drivers then this should otherwise be a totally fine experience on an RX 580.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The Gamernexus videos makes me wonder what's going on in the FFXII The Zodiac Age port. It seem like a hog for a PS2 port.
There's something funky going on with their SSAO. That, coupled with 8xMSAA, is probably where most of the drain comes from.

And lol at spoiler whining for a character that's only in the game for a couple minutes.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'm curious how much the performance will improve for the release version. Getting an average of around 45fps on 4k high but it dips into the low 30 range. 4k is nice and all but if I can get 1440p with good AA and over 70fps, I'm a happy man.

Edit:
And I would not agree with some people saying that the game is badly optimized. The game itself runs pretty good without gameworks. It's the gameworks stuff that is very taxing, but doesn't make that big of a difference visually. I would definately turn on the grass stuff, it makes a cleat difference. Don't know about the rest, hairworks looks cool, but I would do it like in TW3: turning down the AA of hairworks to significantly improve performance.

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Just realized this is going to take me almost a day (20 hours!) to download with my 3rd world dl speed (11.7Mbps) Yay! This is why I'll always prefer physical over digital as I live in Latin America lol

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: if you watch something and don't know it's a spoiler, can you really be spoiled? Would you care?

Spoiler and outrage culture is getting out of hand.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Question: if you watch something and don't know it's a spoiler, can you really be spoiled? Would you care?

Spoiler and outrage culture is getting out of hand.

I wouldn't have been spoiled at all if not for everyone saying there's a spoiler because I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on in the bench
Now I know exactly what the spoiler is about and in what chapter to expect it

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Just realized this is going to take me almost a day (20 hours!) to download with my 3rd world dl speed (11.7Mbps) Yay! This is why I'll always prefer physical over digital as I live in Latin America lol
If they do their job, they can simply allow preloading of the game.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have been spoiled at all if not for everyone saying there's a spoiler because I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on in the bench
Now I know exactly what the spoiler is about and in what chapter to expect it
Exactly, if no one said anything you wouldn't have been the wiser. People are spoiling just by screaming spoilers.