• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The images are low res but you can see it clear enough. I'm just worried there's some kind of technical limitation on PS4 with the way they've done the open levels and we won't see it properly till PS5 or the PC port. It's only in the open ended levels and it's consistently bad through them all.

If that shit ain't a bug, SE better not say a ps4 can't handle that door texture lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital Foundry guys were too nice. This game has, bar none, the absolute worst texturework I've seen this generation from a major release. Maybe even without that caveat. This is literally sub-PS3 quality. In Chapter 8 literally everywhere you point the camera you'll see some serious awfulness.

HvgXKsp.png

4XNHYlX.png

ojosXlP.png

qpT9Iu6.png

EbUd9tL.png

yuUDFMQ.png

Honestly what the fuck. How is this game 100GB in size? How can these textures even be real. I can literally see the pixels. WTF is going on.

Yeah, came to this thread for the same reason. Chapter 8 is baffling...

fQ3eJOG.jpg

This game is crazy inconsistent. This whole area has been a confined, super linear straight path but you're surrounded by rocks or junk piles that look absolutely horrible.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
there'a definitely a bug with some of these textures. I refuse to believe theyd send something out with THAT bad of textures. There's also been some things I've seen with no textures at all (rare though). Just black void instead of the side of a steel bin, etc.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
there'a definitely a bug with some of these textures. I refuse to believe theyd send something out with THAT bad of textures. There's also been some things I've seen with no textures at all (rare though). Just black void instead of the side of a steel bin, etc.
Yeah, forget the textures. LODs for models are clearly buggy and the overall LOD behavior is very similar to the launch state of Days Gone and Fallen Order. Hardly a coincidence.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yah...this got to be a bug. Some of the bad textures are so apparent, no way it is not. For example, the door at cloud's apartment stick out like a sorethumb. It doesn't look like a low res textures but rather a texture of low LOD.

I should have taken a screenshot, but at one point I came up to a dude selling shit on the street. He had a shack behind him of which the left side looked 100% fine, and the right side was 100% textureless shit. It was the perfect example of "this has to be a bug."

There are certainly some low res textures in the game at times. But, there's a difference between low texture and no-fucking-textures. The no texture shit like the door above and the right side of the shack have to be bugs.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital Foundry guys were too nice. This game has, bar none, the absolute worst texturework I've seen this generation from a major release. Maybe even without that caveat. This is literally sub-PS3 quality. In Chapter 8 literally everywhere you point the camera you'll see some serious awfulness.

HvgXKsp.png

4XNHYlX.png

ojosXlP.png

qpT9Iu6.png

EbUd9tL.png

yuUDFMQ.png

Honestly what the fuck. How is this game 100GB in size? How can these textures even be real. I can literally see the pixels. WTF is going on.

those look like Lighting Returns textures lol. you are not exaggerating. They had to ship it I guess. It just looks like place holder art.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here is what I was talking about with some of it being bugged:

Xb4pq3y.jpg

Some of it is certainly the way they meant for it to be, but obviously shit like this and the Tifa door are a bug. They obviously didn't mean for the left half of that to look fine and the right half to look like a PS1 game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Xb4pq3y.jpg

Some of it is certainly the way they meant for it to be, but obviously shit like this and the Tifa door are a bug. They obviously didn't mean for the left half of that to look fine and the right half to look like a PS1 game.
Or maybe they did 🤔
If one half of the game looks remastered and the other like PS1 the fans will compare and notice how awesome the remade graphics look next to the old school look

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would boot FF XV again If I were you

The game has excellent lighting and animations, but it can look really rough in some places.

LOD and environmental detail in general is really poor. Lighting can be hit or miss due to dynamic day and night cycle. Dithering everywhere, specially hair. Also, framepacing issues on all consoles.

FF VII looks much more polished in general. But it's a linear game, so it should be expected.

I booted up XV again and while there are some poor textures for some of the background terrain that we can't walk on and some rocks in the desert region are ugly, it still doesn't reaches the lows in VIIR or as consistently where entire chapters and towns are super low-res textured/LOD. Most of the environment detail in XV is still pretty well done and with high geometry density. It's weird VIIR has much smaller environments and even the corridor caves still look like this. Plus, VIIR has a bunch of NPC pop-in along with the texture and shadow pop, and baked lighting can also have its drawbacks where either characters or the environment don't quite match and fit in with the supposed light source.

VIIR
finalfantasyviiremakeryk5z.png

XV
f00finalfantasyxv2020mqjws.png

VIIR
finalfantasyviiremakewyjhf.png

XV
7cafinalfantasyxv20202wkah.png

VIIR
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

XV
eb4finalfantasyxv2020wmk8t.png

VIIR
EU0YqxvU0AEvpip

XV
4bdfinalfantasyxv2020l3k76.png

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I booted up XV again and while there are some poor textures for some of the background terrain that we can't walk on and some rocks in the desert region are ugly, it still doesn't reaches the lows in VIIR or as consistently where entire chapters and towns are super low-res textured/LOD. Most of the environment detail in XV is still pretty well done and with high geometry density. It's weird VIIR has much smaller environments and even the corridor caves still look like this. Plus, VIIR has a bunch of NPC pop-in along with the texture and shadow pop, and baked lighting can also have its drawbacks where either characters or the environment don't quite match and fit in with the supposed light source.

VIIR

XV

VIIR

XV

VIIR
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

XV

VIIR
EU0YqxvU0AEvpip

XV

Thats a stark comparison. It truly feels like the engine is displaying the Texture = Really Low setting, instead of the regular High setting it should show with Cloud so near it.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

VIIR

XV

VIIR

XV

VIIR
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

XV

VIIR
EU0YqxvU0AEvpip

XV
Jeez, and that's just ff15. Theirs plenty of other games that are just as impressive. Different engines sure but c'mon.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad SE didn't ruin original look & feel.

EVPM3ktU0AEKFJ9.jpg:orig

EVQJlE7XgAcf21e.jpg:orig
The amount of trolling on this thread is sad. Anyone who has played this game knows how enormous and ambitious it is. Obviously they ran out of time and couldn't spit-shine every rock in the game. If you can see the forest from the trees, I think you have to admit that this a glimpse into next gen at its best art direction.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Texture and assets streaming are horrible, so many things suddenly pop up when we turn the camera... Textures, NPCs, it's jaring.

I moved the game to the internal SSD to see if it fixes it, but haven't been able to test it yet.

It feels like an early unreal engine 3 game or something. Borderlands and a few other games and similar issues.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Texture and assets streaming are horrible, so many things suddenly pop up when we turn the camera... Textures, NPCs, it's jaring.

I moved the game to the internal SSD to see if it fixes it, but haven't been able to test it yet.

It feels like an early unreal engine 3 game or something. Borderlands and a few other games and similar issues.
Can you let us know the results, particularly with pop in?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017

This was tried in the video and it barely helped at all for the pop in and nothing for the low res textures.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
My game is installed on an SSD and the streaming problems are still here. It's clearly a bug, typical for UE4.

Also note that this is Nomura's second game with UE4 and KH3 was smooth as butter without any of these issues. It's not like the team is unfamiliar with the tech. I think that they would fix a lot of childish errors when the lockdown in Tokyo will end and the live support team will return to the office.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has square said anything about the texture resolution? It really does feel like its unintended. Though the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is just how they had to do it to make the release date.

I guess the PC version will fix this if square doesn't patch the consoles.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Fingers crossed they keep working on the textures and bugged parts, I'm either going to wait for the pc version or if I lose the initial new game excitement then I will wait for the fully completed version in however many years it will take.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
For texture pop in, one of the worst part was interacting with a cat in front of Tifa's bar. The camera instantly focuses on the cat and the ground texture loads like a second or 2 later. I hadn't seen that in a game for a long time, didn't think I would ever see it happening again.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017

thanks for the screenshots. they reminded me why i stopped playing in chapter 8 about a week ago. looks like it will stay that way...

its fucking crazy that so many people are ok with this, most reviewers dont mention it and that no gaming-site/journalist tried to ask square about the problem. especially digital foundry.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I don't know much about this but for the people saying this game is taxing the ps4 pro to its limits with the vram limitations ect what are the chances the base ps4 with a lower resolution is having same problems in the same exact place?

Wouldn't that point more towards a bug within the engine itself?
The Problem is in lod selection and texture streaming Settings.
I haven't used to lods on UE4, but this should explain what they need to do for all buggy assets.
docs.unrealengine.com

Optimizing LOD Screen Size Per-Platform in Unreal Engine

How to set up LOD Screen Sizes on a per-platform basis.

Texturing has own settings on top of that.
In general it should be possible to fix the complete freezing of lods/resolution, but I'm not sure about the delayed switch of mipmap.
Maybe the PS4 is draw call limited compared to DX12? My understanding is that the PS4 doesn't use Vulkan/DX12, and instead uses a custom API. Since it is a UE4 game, they probably started the development on PC (I think I remember reading that this is a normal practice for many console games, even outside of UE4), then they "fitted" it down to the target system, and the result is the product of the necessary cut backs due to less available system resources / different API. Just my guess.
According to release notes UE4 on PS4 uses GNM the low level Api.
It really shouldn't be more draw call limited than DX12.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Xb4pq3y.jpg

OK. This is the first picture I see where the textures could be a problem.

Still, it's not a deal breaker for me. PS5 version will surely fix this.

g.a.u

Oct 31, 2017

VIIR

XV

VIIR

XV

VIIR
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

XV

VIIR
EU0YqxvU0AEvpip

XV
And XV is an openworld game

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

VIIR

XV

VIIR

XV

VIIR
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

XV

VIIR
EU0YqxvU0AEvpip

XV

even if you glitch out of the map the undone section that you are not even supposed to see look better.

FFVII:R was clearly on that must be released in time. Because they clearly could have touched up on it in a lot of areas. It's no means a bad looking game.....but XV's environments are leagues above....because they are actually finished.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
thanks for the screenshots. they reminded me why i stopped playing in chapter 8 about a week ago. looks like it will stay that way...

its fucking crazy that so many people are ok with this, most reviewers dont mention it and that no gaming-site/journalist tried to ask square about the problem. especially digital foundry.

It's because there are people that don't give a shit im terms of graphics.
I'm Happy as fuck that some texture bugs don't hinder my excitment for an truly Special game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The images are low res but you can see it clear enough. I'm just worried there's some kind of technical limitation on PS4 with the way they've done the open levels and we won't see it properly till PS5 or the PC port. It's only in the open ended levels and it's consistently bad through them all.
What's funny is the "correct" texture isn't even good looking, it's still blotchy, lacking in detail and generally low-res. There are some obvious LOD bugs like some doors and metal sheets, but I think most of the bad textures may look the way they're meant to. Like it's been mentioned at some point they probably cut their losses and did the absolute minimum to get this game out the door. Texturework aside there's also plenty of low-polygonal detail in the environment. It's unfortunate the level of quality from Chapter 1 isn't maintained throughout the game. The Bombing Run is easily the most polished-looking part of the game so far, I guess because they made a demo out of it. :P

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
There has to be something wrong or buggy with the textures. Even if there are memory constraints you don't put those ugly textures in plain sight. Hide them somewhere in the background but don't put them directly on the main path.
The FF15 comparison is good, that was a 50gb game. FF7 is a 90gb game. Are those 40+ gb just video files? I can't believe that they have so many very very low res textures to save space for audio/video.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I really hope they fix these textures before I reach chapter 8. Some of the screenshots in this thread look absolutely terrible.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I love this homage of the classic FF7.... because that's what is this, right?

ff7a8jhh.png

Holy shit! This reminds me old games that would have bitmap images wrapped around for skybox and surrounding distant objects the players would never reach.

After playing Jedi Fallen Order on X, it feels like UE is the gift that keeps on giving for third parties and their AAA projects.

And I honestly have a hard time believing that it's the console's limitation given we've seen games with larger scope display far more even visual fidelity than VIIR.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
After playing Jedi Fallen Order on X, it feels like UE is the gift that keeps on giving for third parties and their AAA projects.

People have been dissing Luminous Engine ("why build your own just use UE4") but the fact is that FFXV released over 3 years ago, is open world and looks a lot better than a 2020 released AAA UE game that is essentially a corridor adventure.

I love FF7R, going to platinum it soon, but some of the technical side baffles me.

Last edited:

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017

I don't think that it is an UE4 problem in general.
www.resetera.com

Days Gone Photo Mode Thread

Use spoiler tags for spoilers/story related photos. 2 screenshots per post Consecutive posts allowed
Days Gone is also a console game and open world and has great textures.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that it is an UE4 problem in general.
www.resetera.com

Days Gone Photo Mode Thread

Use spoiler tags for spoilers/story related photos. 2 screenshots per post Consecutive posts allowed
Days Gone is also a console game and open world and has great textures.
I'm not sure how you could say that when UE4 is clearly the problem when so many games suffer from the same issues time and time again.
Now the issues can be fixed but the engine is sold as if you have to do less work for better results but from all the AAA console games we have seen running on the engine that is clearly not true.
I'm sure what we are seeing in FF7R is a combination of a lot of factors but it's clear that the engine is not helping the problem at all.

I'm also of the opinion that even when FF7R is at it's best,it still looks notable worse than FFXV a game that came out well over 3 years ago.