• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

An astonishing jump in graphical realism, Microsoft's new Flight Simulator delivers unprecedented visual fidelity and truly next generation visuals. In this video, Alex Battaglia discusses the technological make-up of the new engine - and the significant performance cost in delivering this generational leap.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and to get access to everything we do via pristine quality downloads: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://bit.ly/2BqRTt0

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

An astonishing jump in graphical realism, Microsoft's new Flight Simulator delivers unprecedented visual fidelity and truly next generation visuals. In this video, Alex Battaglia discusses the technological make-up of the new engine - and the significant performance cost in delivering this generational leap.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh nice one. Might watch this on my TV - is it new footage captured by DF or supplied footage we've seen elsewhere by MS?

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only next-gen game Microsoft is delivering in 2020. It has major advance not just in graphics, but also in gameplay. I still wonder why they didn't show it at the Xbox Games showcase.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I can't wait for this, I reformated my Windows PC in the hopes I'd get into the Beta.
(and stopped myself ordering a yoke and throttle)

It looks amazing!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yes, but it will release on Xbox One, too.
This game on Xbox One, based upon the GPU scaling would be sub 720p 30. CPU wise, I can just not imagine this thing on the xbox one. I think they will silently cancel the base Xbox One release and go straight next gen here.

Either that, or they hit it with an incredibly large ugly stick. Embarassingly large.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I wanted from next gen games. They said we wont get photorealism any time soon. Well, here we are.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
This is what should have been shown at the latest Microsoft conference.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous. Will be interesting to see what the Xbox One version looks like.

pilotwings-05.png

Based on Alex's take up there ^

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This is the only next-gen game Microsoft is delivering in 2020. It has major advance not just in graphics, but also in gameplay. I still wonder why they didn't show it at the Xbox Games showcase.
I don't get their choice either, because the game looks beautiful. I thought Xbox marketing up to a certain point was really good, but they made some questionable/debatable decisions as of late.
This game on Xbox One, based upon the GPU scaling would be sub 720p 30. CPU wise, I can just not imagine this thing on the xbox one. I think they will silently cancel the base Xbox One release and go straight next gen here.

Either that, or they hit it with an incredibly large ugly stick. Embarassingly large.
I hear you and who knows maybe they cancel the jaguar version.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So only 7GB of streaming data over 10 hours. Thats not bad at all. I thought it would take a terabyte just to go from NY to LA.

Dec 15, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Console wars, long history of similar behaviour
Can't wait for Sony Era (95% of the forum) to downplay the game. Here's a few templates to save you typing time:

"Who plays flight simulators anyway"
"Good for the 3 people that will play it"
"Who will buy this? Most folks will play it for 10 minutes on gamepass and move over"
"It releases on Xbox one, so it's not a next gen game. One and done narrative cover shooter looks way better"
"I can see my house in the game. Evil MS once again invading my privacy"

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It looks amazing. I would rather they cancel the Xbox One version and focus on XSX and PC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy hell this game is heavy. this is the shit i like. a 1060 having to be set to low to even get 60fps.

can't wait to see this game with ray tracing

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Sony Era (95% of the forum) to downplay the game. Here's a few templates to save you typing time:

"Who will buy this? Most folks will play it for 10 minutes on gamepass and move over"
"It releases on Xbox one, so it's not a next gen game. One and done narrative cover shooter looks way better"
I haven't seen this in any flight simulator thread over the past year. Including this one.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Can we not start a unnecessary fight? There are dumb fanboys on each side of the fence (Sony, Nintendo, Playstation).

Edit: Meant Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation obviously

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Guess I'm gonna see how long it takes my wife to notice the shiny new HOTAS attached to my Series X when that day comes

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

let's not

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah... theres no way this releases on the Xbox One. I can imagine the engineers behind the game sweating everytime that version came up in meetings.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, obviously not 😅 That's Pilotwings.

Sounds like it'd struggle to run on the 2013 machine though based on what Alex is saying in here. Maybe they'll just concentrate their efforts on the Series X version instead.

Would be fascinated to see them do the work to downscale it though.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It would be funny if they just hope people forget about the XBOX ONE version and release it only on the PC, and XSX later, it probably won't make a difference if they do, most of the target audience for this game would play on PC anyway.
And even so they can release on the XONE later using Xcloud.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Flight sims have always been first and foremost PC games, why on earth would console warring come into it?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
What I really like about that game is that it is beautiful no matter what the conditions are.

Any idea why the game is CPU bound? Very high data compression maybe ?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The cloud shots in this game are one of those times where you look at something and think 'graphics can't get any better'.

Like, they look real. Fully real.

My 980 is groaning already.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a 580 which is a 6 tflops GPU runs the game at 30 fps at 1080p, and that too with a much better CPU than whats in current gen consoles. a 1.3 tflops Xbox One or a 1.8 tflops PS4 would struggle to run the game at 480p.