• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, this is something very, very special. Join John Linneman for an extended deep dive into the technology of Gears 5 on Xbox One and Xbox One X. Check out how The Coalition has improved the visuals of the game, how closely X meets its 4K 60fps target, how well S holds up in the Gears 5 graphics comparison - plus we have a detailed look at split-screen frame-rates!

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Best graphics this gen so far for me easily played till 2am last night just non stop awe at every moment

CraftyTheseFossa-size_restricted.gif

OP: Here's the link to the article too! :)

www.eurogamer.net

Gears 5: the tech showcase that sets new standards for Xbox One

Gears of War 4 marked a turning point for Microsoft's classic franchise, with new studio The Coalition taking over fran…

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Looking forward to a good watch. From what I did get to play in the tech test and during the NZ trip, everything was smooth and stable. (after a few match with hitch, more servers I'm sure).

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Actually targeting and hitting 60 fps at this fidelity is something The Coalition deserves huge props for.

I find it SO much more impressive than so many 30 fps titles for that reason. People tend to forget but 60 fps is so much more than input latency.

1. Animation fludity is markedly improved
2. Camera Pan stutter is markedly decreased (yes, I can see this through the toughest of motion blur even)
3. Display ghosting is decreased
4. Eliminates the half-refresh display ghost on a 60hz display
5. Improves edge quality as temporal AA samples are spatially closer
6. Vastly reduces temporal AA ghosting and artifacting
7. Improves the spatial and in-motion quality of any effect that uses temporal data (basically all effects in AAA games do that these days)

60 fps makes this game look as bonkers as it does.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Best graphics this gen so far for me easily played till 2am last night just non stop awe at every moment

CraftyTheseFossa-size_restricted.gif

OP: Here's the link to the article too! :)

www.eurogamer.net

Gears 5: the tech showcase that sets new standards for Xbox One

Gears of War 4 marked a turning point for Microsoft's classic franchise, with new studio The Coalition taking over fran…

Better than U4 for you? I've played that one on my then OLED and I was picking my jaw up very regularly, especially in some later parts.

This evening I can finally begin Gears 5.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this makes me want to play Gears 5 so bad, but I skipped Gears 4 due to it having something like 4000 achievement points I'll never be able to conceivably achieve just playing the story.

I wonder how bad it will be if I just jump in at 5...

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Actually targeting and hitting 60 fps at this fidelity is something The Coalition deserves huge props for.

I find it SO much more impressive than so many 30 fps titles for that reason. People tend to forget but 60 fps is so much more than input latency.

2. Camera Pan stutter is markedly decreased (yes, I can see this through the toughest of motion blur even)
7. Improves the spatial and in-motion quality of any effect that uses temporal data (basically all effects in AAA games do that these days)

SlightDelectableArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Man, this makes me want to play Gears 5 so bad, but I skipped Gears 4 due to it having something like 4000 achievement points I'll never be able to conceivably achieve just playing the story.

theres a recap video
i skipped 4 too and i'm playing just fine. but i never cared for the story of gears much so eh

OP
OP
ATOMICJORGE

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Some highlights:

Dynamic Resolution: On Xbox One X tops at native 4K, Xbox One 1080p

Dynamic upscaling based on load

First Gears game to focus on 60fps target across all modes on Xbox One X

New visuals and optimization

Assets and quality it's just about the same on both consoles main difference is resolution

Cutscenes are in engine unlike Gears 4

50% increased polygon count on the characters compared to Gears 4

Cinematic acting and technology is among the best in the industry on par with Naughty Dog

Great achievement to have tons of improvements on console compared to Gears 4, environments and color palette have been improved

Best HDR implementation to date on a game

Good depth of field on both consoles

Destructive elements on the map to make it more dynamic gameplay wise opens the door for varied encounters

Ray traced shadows

Great looking game

3 player split screen 30fps target visuals remain impressive overall

Mostly steady 60fps with a dip every now and then on campaign very stable but not 100% percent

Xbox One S 30fps target

Motion blur disabled on Xbox One S splitscreen

No multiplayer tested for this video

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Some highlights:

Assets and quality it's just about the same on both consoles main difference is resolution

Cinematic acting and technology is among the best in the industry on par with Naughty Dog

Great achievement to have tons of improvements on console compared to Gears 4, environments and color palette have been improved

Destructive elements on the map to make it more dynamic gameplay wise opens the door for varied encounters

Ray traced shadows

Great looking game

Mostly steady 60fps with a dip every now and then on campaign very stable but not 100% percent

Xbox One S 30fps target

Thanks for the summary! Will tide me over until I can watch!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Will watch once I'm done with the campaign.

Xbox One X: Have the fixed the screen tearing or is it still present in the final build?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Some highlights:

Ray traced shadows

Great looking game

Xbox One S 30fps target

TC used machine learning for certain features including HDR, Animation is up there with ND. This is amazing. This game was made in < 3yrs. TC is incredible. 343i , Rare, T10, PG games, The Initiative and Ninja Theory can you beat this? I hope so. :)

Last edited:

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Im incredibly impressed with the cutscenes, the gameplay looks great but noticeably less impressive. As a package with its framerate and res its easily trading blows with other graphical powerhouses. Great stuff.

Feb 10, 2018

So true. I ended playing most of gears 4 and god of war in there 60fps modes because of the better fluidity, even if god of war was more like 48fps I still like the fluid look.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I know the video is related to XB1X but I can't get over how amazing this game looks whilst also having superb performance on PC, especially my PC which is using a nearly 6 year old i7. Ultra everything with 60+ fps at all times. More games need to utilise low level API like this. It really takes advantage of the hardware. DOOM and Gears 5 are probably the two best optimised games this gen and both look absolutely beautiful at the same time.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

More importantly IMO, from a technical achievement perspective, is that it's not "twice as hard" to render 60fps vs. 30fps. It's more like 2.5-3x as hard.

At 30FPS, you have 33.3ms to render everything
At 60FPS, you have 16.6ms to render everything

But that 33.3ms or 16.6ms isn't entirely devoted to graphics rendering or animation. There is also a good chunk of that time devoted to other things which are constant regardless of frame rate.

So (just spitballing here), if that "other stuff" takes 7ms, then that leaves 26.3ms at 30FPS, or 9.6ms at 60fps.

So in that purely hypothetical / made up example, it would mean at 30FPS you have ~2.74x (26.3/9.6) the amount of time to render the frame compared to 60FPS.

Nothing is this simple to calculate of course, but this kind of math is what always impresses me about any developer who manages to achieve 60FPS games on console.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wow WOW! Coalition are at the top of the game when it comes to TPS visual splendor, what they'll achieve with Scarlet will be unthinkable.

So happy for the team, in Rod (and Coalition) we trust!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just finished watching this. A great dive into a lot of what makes the game shine graphically. I'm still planning on finishing up Gears 4 before properly diving in to this, but in 4K HDR I expect to be hugely impressed on both PC and Xbox One X.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Played till act3 on xbox one x and it's honestly the best looking game I have ever played. RDR2 is on par visually when you stand still but Gears 5 looks far better in motion.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The game looks great, but playing this right after I played Control with Ray Tracing, it feels like a bit of a downgrade visually for me. That could be more of a testament to the art direction of Control than anything though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
There is also a good chunk of that time devoted to other things which are constant regardless of frame rate.
If you're gonna go down this road - there's also a "good chunk" of things that scale with delta-time, and take twice as long at 30fps as they would at 60fps.

Not that any of that is materially relevant to performance target - if you set your budgets, that's what you work with, there's nothing fundamentally more challenging about one budget or another "by itself", or doing it on a console (in fact fixed framerate targets are easier on a console than on fixed spec PCs for instance). "Relative" output at a chosen target is another matter of course.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always assume UE games (or anything using a third party engine) can't be up there with proprietary engines, and yet The Coalition does this wizardry. It makes me extremely excited for what Playground can do.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I always assume UE games (or anything using a third party engine) can't be up there with proprietary engines, and yet The Coalition does this wizardry. It makes me extremely excited for what Playground can do.
More looking forward how TC can help the likes of Obsidian.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The hdr in this game is the best in the business. People judging by youtube videos have no idea what they talking about

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

That seems like a weird reason to skip Gears 4 all together