• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm temporarily breaking my 'no posting on forums' rule to defend against this. I note that their performance results are almost exactly the same as mine in those same scenes (drops to low 50s with torn frames). However, I only tested those certain scenes as I had to manually add in a few torn frames here and there which the tools annoyingly missed - so it took hours to do the FPS tests. It sucks.

Secondly, I specifically did not mention the lowest resolution as I hadn't found one that low. Pay attention to the wording - values such as "XXX" and "YYY". That's not the minimum, those were the averages that I found - as in, numbers that popped up often. Even getting those numbers takes a long time and it's just not possible to produce a video of this scale while getting every single DRS value - honestly, dynamic resolutions stress me out to an unhealthy degree. It is not my specialty finding all possible values - I can only do that given hours of time to work with. That's something I've always struggled with.

I should never have covered this damn game. All it has brought me is misery from angry PlayStation fans. Internet mobs can go to hell.

Alright, signing off again.
Sorry about that. It was sad to read what Alex posted on twitter too. Just try to ignore them. it's much easier when you mute the trolls and act like they don't exist. once you start feeding them they'll just keep coming back. reasonable gamers in the community will always value your amazing work. The recent analysis you guys did was ace too. keep it up.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well he ain't wrong. Lokimaster has stanned against gears a bunch. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw his post in this thread. Loki just wants to come fuel a fire in this thread clearly. John's videos are awesome and the amount of work and craft he puts into is amazing. Seeing someone come stir up shit for the sake of stirring up shit because they don't like gears is obvious.... but I'm sure Loki will use the vid they posted as a defense of the comment.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm temporarily breaking my 'no posting on forums' rule to defend against this. I note that their performance results are almost exactly the same as mine in those same scenes (drops to low 50s with torn frames). However, I only tested those certain scenes as I had to manually add in a few torn frames here and there which the tools annoyingly missed - so it took hours to do the FPS tests. It sucks.

Secondly, I specifically did not mention the lowest resolution as I hadn't found one that low. Pay attention to the wording - values such as "XXX" and "YYY". That's not the minimum, those were the averages that I found - as in, numbers that popped up often. Even getting those numbers takes a long time and it's just not possible to produce a video of this scale while getting every single DRS value - honestly, dynamic resolutions stress me out to an unhealthy degree. It is not my specialty finding all possible values - I can only do that given hours of time to work with. That's something I've always struggled with.

I should never have covered this damn game. All it has brought me is misery from angry PlayStation fans. Internet mobs can go to hell.

You do incredible work. Don't let internet nerds who want to defend the honor of their favorite plastic box deter you from telling it how it is.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well he ain't wrong. Lokimaster has stanned against gears a bunch. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw his post in this thread. Loki just wants to come fuel a fire in this thread clearly. John's videos are awesome and the amount of work and craft he puts into is amazing. Seeing someone come stir up shit for the sake of stirring up shit because they don't like gears is obvious.... but I'm sure Loki will use the vid they posted as a defense of the comment.

Sorry, my comment was on that mob, not his comment.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

It's so ridiculous that gaming journalists (or anyone) can't say nice things about an Xbox / MS game without being hounded and tortured by PlayStation Fanboys, it's just absolutely insane and disgusting. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you, it happens on both sides, but it's definitely worse when the main subject is Xbox related. Like WTF? Who cares? Does Gears 5 being a good game take anything away from Spiderman or GoW or Uncharted being good games? No, it doesn't, so why the fuck do you care? I've grown so tired of the toxicity that I greatly reduced the time I look at gaming forums or websites. It's just the same tired old fanboy bullshit over and over again.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much love and respect to the work you and the team do Dark1x

Ignore the haters, they'll always be there and they'll never go away. I see it all the time on Twitter and you just have to laugh at how immature and insecure these man babies actually are. It's there problem, not yours.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's better to have been hated by many than to have lived unnoticed. Keep up the good work Dark1x!

No one group is really wrong, in the end we're just only fighting about video games on the internet! To have conflicts of passion like this is a sign of the vitality of our hobby.

Professional sports survives on hate like this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You and DF contribution to gaming communities cannot be understated Dark1x , you guys provide insight that enlightens any conversation regarding the technical commentary on our favourite games, Infact I'd say part of the joy of new game releases is waiting for your videos to drop, make no joke you guys are not only well respected but necessary, I hope you can look beyond the rot that festers in some parts of gaming society, these individuals provide nothing to gaming and are purely driven by an almost religious sense of fanatacism to undermine anything that they perceive challenges thier favourite box. In short fuck them, and continue to make them feel uncomfortable.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We don't deserve Dark1x and the team at DF. They do incredible work and it's upsetting to read John's post.

Hold your head high, you have put years of work into this and its very much appreciated.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Man that sucks. And PS fans usually says that they don't need an Xbox anymore because the games are on PC as well, and now we got an awesome PC version and it's on Steam as well. So the anger makes no sense anymore. Why not just boot up the PC and enjoy the game??

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No one group is really wrong, in the end we're just only fighting about video games on the internet! To have conflicts of passion like this is a sign of the vitality of our hobby.
Trying to win a toxic internet debate is actually a complete waste of time and nothing good comes from it. Infact, I'll gladly step away and play some Gears 5 right now instead of finishing this po

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's better to have been hated by many than to have lived unnoticed. Keep up the good work Dark1x!

First off harassment shouldn't be condoned based on "it's just video games".

Harassment based on which plastic box plays your game or not and if it looks better than a game you like is embarrassing and shouldn't be accepted

Secondly, this isn't just disagreements. I've seen people claim that Digital Foundry is being payed off by Microsoft to endorse gears 5, others getting angry that anyone dare compare Gears 5s look and cinematics to Naughty Dog. This isn't objective conjecture about two studios, it's fan boys getting upset because they can't handle something not going their way.

Go read the mentions if you want to see how bad it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Fuck the fanboys. You and the team do amazing work.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

There are playful rivalries that can be healthy, fun, and contribute to a positive experience for those involved, and then there is harassment and hate. Those are not at all the same thing, and one shouldn't be downplayed or misconstrued as the other. The issue here is fanboy culture in general, and there are a lot of ugly sides to it that need to be challenged. It's disappointing to see someone attempt to defend that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Bro you need to stop paying attention to the negative comments.

The work you do is great and what a handful of shitheads say means nothing.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

What...No. Sports don't survive on hate. TF. Bringing a person misery for just doing their job isn't right or should be justified in any way. Especially for people being fanatical when something is for entertainment (games) and the other part is for education and investigation (DF). That's some bullshit.

Bro you need to stop paying attention to the negative comments.

If it was a handful I don't think he would be saying the words he is saying. Don't protect that ish.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Please cover everything.. I love your videos. Prior to the Digital Foundry videos I had no appreciation for all of the tricks and tradecraft graphics engineers use to get the results they do... I still have no idea how it all comes together, but the DF videos give me a great appreciation for it, so thank you for all of that.

I'm not even a graphics/graphical fidelity person, but I always look forward to new DF analysis videos, so thanks!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
There are angry fanatics on both sides of these stupid console wars. One side has more than double the amount. It's not surprising that you also get double (or more) the fanboying / harassment.

Entirely possible I missed it, but I don't remember anyone from DF complaining about angry fanboys after their God of War video. Seems some people were triggered by the use of new techological standard, we saw the same here in the GamingBolt thread with people posting doctored gifs and bashing DF as unprofessional Youtbers to try and disprove the statements.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017

I can only imagine what psychological pressure having a job where you pull the anger of the stupid internet mob on you would entail. Even absolutely positive ideas will draw at least one idiot out of their troll-hole and try to make one feel miserable. Know that I am a huge fan of your work and always look forward to your videos, your love and dedication for retro games shines through and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when watching your analyses. I hope I could make you feel better somehow, the internet can be a very dark place if you already feel down. Go out, enjoy nature and meet with family and friends in the real world. All the best, your fan Karl

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Edit : messed up quoting big time

Don't even let it get to you man. I really enjoy your videos. Can't please everyone so you should not even care about it. Keep it up.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Entirely possible I missed it, but I don't remember anyone from DF complaining about angry fanboys after their God of War video. Seems some people were triggered by the use of new techological standard, we saw the same here in the GamingBolt thread with people posting doctored gifs and bashing DF as unprofessional Youtbers to try and disprove the statements.
It frankly doesn't matter what side did what... The fact remains that a huge amount of gamers are fucking assholes and fuck everyone who encourages that type of behavior.

Dec 11, 2017
Getting mad at reviewers is stupid, but getting mad at Digital Foundry is even stupider. The bulk of what they do is provide objective measurements and analysis. They aren't stirring shit or dropping "hot takes" to get clicks, they're telling you the resolutions and frame rates games are running at.

They're providing a valuable service and yet people shit on them whenever hardware they don't own has a game that looks good and runs well. It's pathetic.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Secondly, this isn't just disagreements. I've seen people claim that Digital Foundry is being payed off by Microsoft to endorse gears 5, others getting angry that anyone dare compare Gears 5s look and cinematics to Naughty Dog. This isn't objective conjecture about two studios, it's fan boys getting upset because they can't handle something not going their way.

There will be a day when fan boys learn to be rational. It's coming!

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this makes me want to play Gears 5 so bad, but I skipped Gears 4 due to it having something like 4000 achievement points I'll never be able to conceivably achieve just playing the story.

I wonder how bad it will be if I just jump in at 5...

You skipped a game because it had too many achievements???

But Gears 5 has a recap at the beginning so you won't feel lost.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
You skipped a game because it had too many achievements???

But Gears 5 has a recap at the beginning so you won't feel lost.

This has got to be one of my more quoted posts ever, I should probably talk about OCD more often... 🤔

Yeah, if I know I would end up spending an inordinate amount of time with something in an attempt to complete it and its trophy/achievement list as much as possible, sometimes I make the decision to just skip it. Especially some of these Microsoft games that start with a fixed set of achievements that then balloon in size with subsequent updates. It's supposed to give games added replay value or reasons to go back, but in my case it just leads to the existential dread that I've left something unfinished.

I'm actually surprised it's not a more common issue.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just want to chime in and say that I always appreciate the hard work you put into your videos and have been following you from the GAF days. I know my words won't mean much, but fuck the trolls and people targeting you on the Internet.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

God- dammit...

I can only speak for myself, but it appears to echo others around here and say I really appreciate the hard work you put in to your analysis videos (and I love the DFRetro videos too).

I guess what I can say is that although there are shitty platform warriors who will send you misery, there will always be us who love your work.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
VGtech has been more reliable for framerate analysis (actually finding and capturing troublesome spots and posting the actual hard stats), resolution analysis and just actually catching dynamic resolutions in general. Not sure what they're doing differently but they're on top of it, they cover way more games to. Mind you they only cover resolution/framerate and don't touch too much on graphical effects that often but framerate and resolution and the majority of what people care about anyway. They also don't post 20 minute long videos that can be summarised in a few dot points, instead they just post the analysis and a description covering everything. Probably why they can cover so much more as they're editing videos less I guess.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

Playstation fans are truly the worst. Don't even sweat it.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
VGtech has been more reliable for framerate analysis (actually finding and capturing troublesome spots and posting the actual hard stats), resolution analysis and just actually catching dynamic resolutions in general. Not sure what they're doing differently but they're on top of it, they cover way more games to. Mind you they only cover resolution/framerate and don't touch too much on graphical effects that often but framerate and resolution and the majority of what people care about anyway. They also don't post 20 minute long videos that can be summarised in a few dot points, instead they just post the analysis and a description covering everything. Probably why they can cover so much more as they're editing videos less I guess.
I am not sure what the point of this is? DF provides something that most find insightful and do so in a very interesting and engaging way. You certainly don't have to watch it if you don't want to. I enjoy both and they don't detract or contradict each other necessarily. I believe the actually complement each other in what they are trying to achieve.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

dude what?
Ive complemented the games graphics so many times on this forum. What are you talking about?
i like A LOT of people feel like the story just wasn't good.
But like i said there, the guys at VG found more drops in the game in resolution and frame rate. I didn't say that to make it seem like DF was wrong, i said it because it's weird VG found it and not them.
I didn't post my comment to hurt the guy. I never attacked him, all i said was wow, i didn't think the games res dropped down to 1080p. It looked good when i played it.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be one of my more quoted posts ever, I should probably talk about OCD more often... 🤔

Yeah, if I know I would end up spending an inordinate amount of time with something in an attempt to complete it and its trophy/achievement list as much as possible, sometimes I make the decision to just skip it. Especially some of these Microsoft games that start with a fixed set of achievements that then balloon in size with subsequent updates. It's supposed to give games added replay value or reasons to go back, but in my case it just leads to the existential dread that I've left something unfinished.

I'm actually surprised it's not a more common issue.

Makes sense. I made sure to search every nook and cranny in gears 5 for all the collectibles and upgrade parts, took my time, but didn't get close to completion. I might go back and look at some guides to do it though.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm constantly amazed that some "gamers" reaction to more excellent games being made is hate. I see this very often in my favoured genres, like the reaction to a great new racing game isn't "fantastic more racing to play" but instead "it's not as good my beloved franchise" and the hate pours from there. What utter boring self-defeating wankers.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

You're doing awesome work. Don't let console warrior man-children deter you.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It is not my specialty finding all possible values - I can only do that given hours of time to work with. That's something I've always struggled with.

Honestly, even if it were your speciality, it isn't feasible to sample and plot the data in the way your channel and our channel do framerate analyses, so people are just going to have to get over that; not every resolution will be sampled for every frame. No one is going to do that.

I understand your frustration but I just want you to know that your work is incredibly valuable and I hope you don't get too discouraged by those idiots.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. They say that the native resolution on the X drops all the way down to 1080p. And they show waaaay more drops in frame rate, and screen tearing than digital foundry shown. That's weird
Resolution counting is a manual process and finding range of dynamic resolution is even harder in that you have to take a screenshot from what you think is a high load area and THEN count the frames manually. When you add in things like TAA and reconstruction it means your pool of available screenshots that give you a non reconstructed image becomes even smaller as it has to be a frame taken right before the reconstruction comes into effect. A 60FPS game will have some 216000 frames captured in an hour's worth of footage. Trying to find that one screenshot with the lowest possible resolution AND without reconstruction is not going to be easy.

Then you have to factor in that dynamic res ends up being a case by case basis. The game may drop the resolution for me but not for you, in the same area as it's dependent on so many variables from your personal playstyle, exact location on a map and what you are looking at, placement of enemies, the actual action happening on screen.

In short, it's super hard as it's done manually..there's no tool that goes " find me the lowest possible resolution from this capture" and it's easily possible to miss some things especially given the timeframe they are given to make videos.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
DF often get accused of being too nitpicky with performance and exaggerating drops but the opposite is true to me. I'm not blaming them, that just the nature of testing and time constraints. There's also things like style of play and the fact that some guys are simply too big/long to cover comprehensively. All this dynamic rendering is probably an absolute nightmare to analyse too. Overall they do a great job and pretty much right on their conclusions.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is DF is a lot more about actual technology involved rather than differences between console versions. That's how the website originally started infact, it was just Richard covering game tech in his blog which Eurogamer then purchased.
Those 20 min videos involve insight into the technology used and how it compares to the old tech, as well as state of the art, it's limitations, workarounds, past games in the same series/engine etc. That cannot be condensed into a few points.

That is what made me a fan of DF before people even knew about DF, the head to head comparisons just bring in console warring but I think it unfortunately is also needed as it probably generates the most views.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I mean they're pumping out stat videos. DF is at least doing an analysis and looking at the what the devs have been able to achieve or what is causing the game to have issues. They're wildly different takes on the same concept and I, and I'm sure other people in this thread will agree, vastly prefer the analysis the team at DF does versus a straight comparison video.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Resolution counting is a manual process and finding range of dynamic resolution is even harder in that you have to take a screenshot from what you think is a high load area and THEN count the frames manually. When you add in things like TAA and reconstruction it means your pool of available screenshots that give you a non reconstructed image becomes even smaller as it has to be a frame taken right before the reconstruction comes into effect. A 60FPS game will have some 216000 frames captured in an hour's worth of footage. Trying to find that one screenshot with the lowest possible resolution AND without reconstruction is not going to be easy.

Then you have to factor in that dynamic res ends up being a case by case basis. The game may drop the resolution for me but not for you, in the same area as it's dependent on so many variables from your personal playstyle, exact location on a map and what you are looking at, placement of enemies, the actual action happening on screen.

In short, it's super hard as it's done manually..there's no tool that goes " find me the lowest possible resolution from this capture" and it's easily possible to miss some things especially given the timeframe they are given to make videos.

Yup what they have encountered may not be what's normally found. John shows more of the average res you'll encounter not some random frame to find the extreme case by case example

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas

giphy.gif

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You do amazing work, please don't be discouraged by pathetic manchildren.

Unfortunately, they are not just a handful and unlike Resetera where they mostly resort to concern-trolling or witty drive-bys out of fear of getting banned, they are free to spout all the bullshit they want on social media and Youtube. I won't link them because i don't want to give those sad fucks any views, but there are videos on Youtube with thousands of views already calling DF's Gears 5 analysis "dishonest" among other things.

I believe those of us who enjoy games for what they are, are the majority here. Out there, is a much different story.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact they dont go into detail like DF is why I don't enjoy thier videos. As much as I applaud more options, DF is a cut above everyone because of the pain staking effort they put into the production of thier videos that makes it much more accessible for a range of gamers with various levels of technical knowledge. Even better, people with no knowledge can still appreciate some of the tricks implemented and dissected because DF is considerate of them, its just well paced analysis with rigor and structure, not just a playback with a graph overlay, as you can see from the view count comparatively, its not really effective. The unintended benefit here is the appreciation of years worth of effort Devs pour into these games, before DF, it really wasn't something that was emphasized outside of a few threads, now it's a community event.

Last edited: