• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

In this Ubisoft double-bill, we check out Ghost Recon Breakpoint's push onto next-gen systems with a new 60fps mode, while also looking into The Division 2's latest patch. For The Division 2 we'd previously seen the PS5 version missing key visual features - SSR and volumetric fog - the good news being that they're now fully reinstated. As for Breakpoint we have a clear success in delivering 60fps gameplay to consoles, a trend that's fast building from Ubisoft's stable of developer, as Tom reports.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Ghost Recon Breakpoint doubles performance on next-gen consoles

The new console generation has so far been amazing for players who love smooth, 60 frames per second gaming. Ubisoft, e…

TL;DR

- Division 2 is fixed on PS5.
- Breakpoint: PS5 Rez mode = 1440p/30. Series X = 4K/30. Series S only has one mode @ 1440p/30
- Performance mode: PS5: 1080p/60. Series X 1440p/60.
- All have dynamic resolution, both PS5/Series X stick close to top bounds in resolution mode.
- Series X can drop to 1296p in Performance mode but generally always higher resolution than PS5.

Last edited:

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony has some sort of mandate to lock BC games at the same resolution as PS4 Pro or this is just BC limitation on PS5

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
After AC Unity and Division 2 that's another Ubisoft game most likely running at Pro clock for the GPU (911mhz).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony ahs some sort of mandate to lock BC games at the same resolution as PS4 Pro or this is just BC limitation on PS5
There is no mandate, the BC profile on PS5 simulates the hardware of a PS4 Pro, with a boost. Like PS4 Pro playing regular PS4 games. They can flag things to work only on a PS5, but it's still limited by the emulation of the PS4 Pro hardware.

The Xbox BC stuff allows for more access to the hardware and less limitations on power. It's still not a full Series X for BC games, but it's closer.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Extra horsepower of the Series X is evident, I might get it for multiplats and gamepass at some stage soon.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Did Tom cover what the resolution is now on The Division 2 for PS5?

Kinda wish the Series S had a 900/60 performance mode option.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
There is no mandate, the BC profile on PS5 simulates the hardware of a PS4 Pro, with a boost. Like PS4 Pro playing regular PS4 games. They can flag things to work only on a PS5, but it's still limited by the emulation of the PS4 Pro hardware.

The Xbox BC stuff allows for more access to the hardware and less limitations on power. It's still not a full Series X for BC games, but it's closer.
Not always. Some games might not use the PS5 GPU boost if that makes the game unstable. Without a native PS5 version, some games cannot use the full 2.23ghz for the GPU. On Pro is was different because all PS4 games could use the GPU overclock, but only with a warning that it could create unstability, and there is a toggle on Pro for this, the user has to activated it himself (and takes responsibility if something goes wrong).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Not always. Some games might not use the PS5 GPU boost if that makes the game unstable. Without a native PS5 version, some games cannot use the full 2.23ghz for the GPU. On Pro is was different because all PS4 games could use the GPU overclock, but only with a warning that it could create unstability, and there is a toggle on Pro for this, the user has to activated it himself (and takes responsibility if somethings goes wrong).
I didn't say anything of the GPU per se.

In fact, I was thinking about CPU and I/O clocks, which are clearly improved in all games by default.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
When I played GR around launch of the Series X, anytime I pointed a weapon the game would microfreeze and make horrible noises. Looks like that issues gone so I might get round to playing this. Now if only they removed that MMO wannabe hub world...
Breakpoint has a 10 hour free demo I think too, so worth checking out if you think its your type of game

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I wonder if Sony has some sort of mandate to lock BC games at the same resolution as PS4 Pro or this is just BC limitation on PS5
Limitation. There is no PS5 BC game running above the dynamic resolution maximum or the fixed resolution
After AC Unity and Division 2 that's another Ubisoft game most likely running at Pro clock for the GPU (911mhz).
Could be, but it won't matter. PS5 in BC can't increase the resolution above the limit (in this case 1440p).

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
1440p @ 60fps is a great sweet spot on XSX.

Is the Sam Fisher/Splinter Cell stuff still available or was that a timed thing? I have to experience that still.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I guess the black crush wasn't touched at all on PS5 for Division 2?
I played it recently and it still looked crushed to me, but at least the other 2 bugs were fixed.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox's BC solution really shines in these upgrade patches. Well done. Glad the division 2 is fixed on PS5 though.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird that they didnt touch/couldnt improve the load times in the PS5 version of division 2 to align with the SX/SS versions. The super fast Loading has made hitting the other objectives all on the map less of a chore For sure.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The relatively high resof the Series S is interesting, though fingers crossed it ends up getting the 60 fps mode added later (like AC).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
honestly I'm thrilled that I'm even able to play my PS4 games on PS5, but Xbox remains the king of backward compatibility. Would love to see Sony invest in the feature the way MS has.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I think it's become abundantly clear at this point that PS5's backwards compatibility capabilities are not anywhere near as robust as Series S|X's.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the power difference is starting to manifest itself, but it could just be the recent bunch of games that favor the SX for whatever reason.

Overall, I don't think the higher resolution of recent SX upgrades are worth the hitching or framerate dips when the PS5 is smooth sailing at slightly lower resolutions. Stuff like that is much more noticeable in game than 1600 vs 1440p when displayed using a modern renderer with temporal upscaling.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
I bought The Division 2 right before the patch came out on Xbox for like $9. Holy cow, that performance mode sure does make a difference. I wish my PC progress carried over, but it's been fun starting a new character and just messing around in the world.

You gotta love Ubisoft for being quick with the upgrade patches... It's given me games to play while I wait for more new releases.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the power difference is starting to manifest itself, but it could just be the recent bunch of games that favor the SX for whatever reason.

Overall, I don't think the higher resolution of recent SX upgrades are worth the hitching or framerate dips when the PS5 is smooth sailing at slightly lower resolutions. Stuff like that is much more noticeable in game than 1600 vs 1440p when displayed using a modern renderer with temporal upscaling.
It's just how they do backwards compatibility with these titles. Xbox team went harder into it, which was kind of a gambit but seems to really suit the next gen post-launch drought right now. But what I'm trying to say is that this isn't a real indication of how powerful the consoles are.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I think it's become abundantly clear at this point that PS5's backwards compatibility capabilities are not anywhere near as robust as Series S|X's.
That was obvious from the getgo. All PS5 is doing to BC games helping with a more stable framerate keeping the upper bounds of dynamic resolution. Just glad there is BC at all.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Pretty weird that they didnt touch/couldnt improve the load times in the PS5 version of division 2 to align with the SX/SS versions. The super fast Loading has made hitting the other objectives all on the map less of a chore For sure.
Honestly its utterly surprising because the PS5 has an SSD twice as fast!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Limited to PS4 BC speeds.
Did someone test this? PS4 Pro with a SSD vs PS5 BC.
Some of the games were running in BC mode and Xbox BC solution is just more flexible and robust. Having said that I expect percentage wise more native titles to run better on Xbox as time goes on, too. The difference just won't be as big as this game shows, because Division and this are limited by BC.