• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-god-of-war-tech-analysis

On loading up the game and looking at the title screen, the towering figure of Kratos tells us a lot about the visual evolution Santa Monica Studio has delivered compared to previous God of War games. As the camera pulls in, you'll notice the sweat and wrinkles on his worn brow, the pores across his weathered skin, the veins running along his battered hands and the detail of his beard. It's also our first look at how animation and camera work combine beautifully in this game, and the sheer precision in all areas of the artwork.

Getting up close like this showcases the extreme detail, whether it's on Kratos himself, his son Atreus or any of the other friends and foes you'll encounter on the journey. Thanks to the game's reliance on physically-based rendering - leather, cloth and fur all appears highly realistic and sits naturally within the world. Hair and beards both look and move realistically, with excellent shading and detail.

Animation plays as important a role as raw detail and sets a new standard for the series. Attacks connect with and stagger enemies realistically, and everything from tossing an axe at the head of a large creature to swooping up the undead with a vicious attack lends a sense of weight and momentum to the game. Larger enemies - a staple of earlier series entries - also make an appearance, featuring both excellent cinematic and in-game animation.

Even more impressive are the cinematic sequences, which allow for pre-calculated displays of physics and destruction - running an enemy through the side of a mountain anyone? There's some impressive stuff on display here.

Character realisation is sensational in this game but ultimately, it's the environments that really steal the show. Early showings of God of War intentionally focused on the gorgeous snowy forests of Midgard but there is so much more here.

From the towering peaks to the smallest details, every inch of the world receives careful attention to detail. Look closely at any scene and it's easy to appreciate - every wooden beam, slab of stone and snarling tree branch is suitably rounded and realistic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch.

In the middle of moving, but moved in on the 20th.
Gonna pick this game up alongside a 4k tv, can't wait to see how it looks :)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Man between Guerilla, Naught Dog and SSM these Sony first party teams are just going crazy on PS4.
Gotta love it.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
Has quite a lot of environmental and enemy spoilers in it, so be careful. I quickly changed to audio only instead of watching it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Will probably stay away till I've played for spoilers sake but does John give his view on the game outside of tech? We have pretty similar tastes, so interested to see if he enjoyed it.

Last edited:

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Man for anybody sensitive about spoilers, i dont recommend watching. They warn you in advance and the video says they followed the spoiler guidelines, but there's a lot given away.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Us Pro owners are safe:
When using checkerboard 4K mode, the game does a reasonably good job of holding steady at 30 frames per second in most scenes, with even intense battles that pile on the visual effects sticking mostly to the target frame-rate with only small pockets of dropped frames. It's not quite perfect though, and some effects-heavy scene will see performance drop. Thankfully, this is more of an exception than the rule and most of the game delivers a stable 30 frames per second, but it's not a perfect lock.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A very impressive title. Kudos to the developers. It's a pity they couldn't get anywhere near a stable 60fps in performance mode, though. As John mentions in the article, this is where FreeSync could be a huge benefit.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The video made me say 'wow' a good number of times there, such a good looking game. I can't wait to immerse myself in that world next week. And the music is incredible too.

But also another game plagued with the biggest flaw of this generation: LoD pop-in. Just look at 2:20 for example, and the rocks popping in top-left. I find it so damn irritating, and it plagues so many games from Origins to HZD, Halo 5, FH3 etc. I think the worst I've seen is The Talos Principle on PS4. I'd rather developers made compromises elsewhere to avoid pop-in, the likes of which I thought we were finally done with last generation. I can understand it in fully open world games with large draw distances, but I feel more focused experiences like this should be able to avoid it.

But yeah, that's just me. This is still clearly the best looking game this generation. The detail on Kratos, and those vistas, are jaw-dropping.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John did take great care to be very low on any spoilers, but yet, not a bad idea if you really want to know absolutely nothing here based upon the visuals.

That would be about it. Just showing environs.
Are the environment spoilers an hour only or so into the game? I want to watch but I'm really looking out for spoilers

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Looks absolutely staggering, but this is definitely the last video I'm watching until release.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Are the environment spoilers an hour only or so into the game? I want to watch but I'm really looking out for spoilers
You may want to listen to audio only there if you are worried about from "when" they are into the game. Then of course come back in time to watch the full thing to appreciate John's work after you beat the game! :D
I miss when these were articles one could read at work in chunks. Is there talk about standard ps4? If not, I won't bother.
It is an article as well! And there is definitely PS4 base talk!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I miss when these were articles one could read at work in chunks. Is there talk about standard ps4? If not, I won't bother.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, from the previous GAF thread, playtesters said it was mostly locked at 60FPS in performance mode, which is clearly not the case. Seems like 45fps is the average, which is just horrible on standard 60hz locked vysnc displays.

Looks like the capped 30fps 4K (checkerboard) option will be the best one for me. I'd rather play at 30fps capped than have fluctuating frame times, especially for a game with heavy combat/quick reactions.

Game looks amazing btw.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Does the video say anything about the unlocked mode? I want to dive in knowing the least I can.

Edit: nevermind, there's an article and somebody already replied.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
Pro 4K-Mode:
When using checkerboard 4K mode, the game does a reasonably good job of holding steady at 30 frames per second in most scenes, with even intense battles that pile on the visual effects sticking mostly to the target frame-rate with only small pockets of dropped frames. It's not quite perfect though, and some effects-heavy scene will see performance drop. Thankfully, this is more of an exception than the rule and most of the game delivers a stable 30 frames per second, but it's not a perfect lock.

Pro Performance-Mode:
Is performance mode the answer? Well, there's a significant increase in frame-rate when you trade in the vast pixel-count for standard 1080p. A stable 60 frames per second is off the table here and the frame-rate is left to run wild instead with noticeable judder. [...] The frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps. It's not our cup of tea [...]. As it is, it's a nice option then for those that prefer the fastest possible performance and don't mind the judder you get from uneven frame-rates on a 60Hz display.

Standard PS4-Mode:
Lastly, there is the base PlayStation 4, which is capped at 30fps and here, the level of performance is remarkably like the PS4 Pro with the higher resolution option engaged. Frame-rates generally hold steady at 30fps but there are dips in performance during specific sequences, which does reduce fluidity.

Conclusion:
Ultimately, between the two systems and available options, I prefer the capped 30fps mode using the high-resolution option on PS4 Pro. It's a good mix of image quality and stability. The occasional dips below 30fps are frustrating at times but the overall level of consistency is generally solid. The unlocked performance mode is simply way too variable and unstable for my tastes - the judder detracts more from the experience than occasional dips below 30fps.

Thanks for your work, Dark1x.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
John did take great care to be very low on any spoilers, but yet, not a bad idea if you really want to know absolutely nothing here based upon the visuals.

That would be about it. Just showing environs.

i will definetely read the article coupled with this... :)

b6c.gif

its a hard choice but damn i feel the full fat GOW experience in my face on this one \o/

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017

Yes there is. Basically, 1080p 30FPS. Fairly stable but drops do occur. Same with 4K checkerboard on PS4 Pro. 'Performance Mode' on PS4 Pro is an unstable 40-60FPS experience.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So from the video the performance mode is promising: 45-50fps instead of ~28fps in resolution mode from the worst performing area of the whole game (so about 20fps higher), about 50fps during a mini boss battle and about 55-60fps during exploration is exactly was I was expecting for the performance mode.

BTW thanks John for immediately showing us (as expected) what was the worst performing scene of the whole game in the performance mode. Now we know that the performance mode is overall great and will be a treat to play !

Overall it's better than Monster Hunter world in the similar mode on Pro. I take it !

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yea there is. Oldest PS4 will run like a jet, some framerate drops here and there, nothing bad.

Nice. Yeah mine sounds like a space rocket with everything but netflix or some 2d titles, this will be no exception of course. Maybe I'll watch it to see how bad and frequent are the drops, I was hoping for mostly locked 30. I hope it's comparable to Horizon where drops are few and nothing big.

edit: shit there's actually a link to an article, my bad. Gonna look at that right now, cool.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Damn, from the previous GAF thread, playtesters said it was mostly locked at 60FPS in performance mode, which is clearly not the case. Seems like 45fps is the average, which is just horrible on standard 60hz locked vysnc displays.

Looks like the capped 30fps 4K (checkerboard) option will be the best one for me. I'd rather play at 30fps capped than have fluctuating frame times, especially for a game with heavy combat/quick reactions.

Game looks amazing btw.

This only show us how different people isn't sensible to that kind of things.
Average guy doesn't feel/care about the frame pacing on Souls games etc...
I remember how some people were disappointed when GOW was announced at 30fps because previous games were "60 fps" previous games were as 60fps as performance mode here, so if people were happy with those "60 fps" on GOW 3 or Ascension, will be happy with 60fps on GOW PS4.

At the end of the day every user choose what they want, and people can be perfect fine with "targeting 60" but I hate how lately unlocked framerates seems like the evil just because DF, etc... tells you.

OP
OP
patapon

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
My goodness, this is such stunning looking game. That snow deformation scene :O

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This might be the first game since many years that I'll buy on launch and not cheap and discounted. It looks amazing and hopefully also plays as good but with these graphics I don't even care.