• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Is this the level of graphical fidelity we should expect from launch Xbox Project Scarlett titles? Alex checks out the Halo Infinite trailer from E3 2019, dissecting the technology and showcasing how the new Slipstream Engine stacks up against prior Halo tech.

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The texture work in that trailer is great. For being confirmed as the start of Infinite, I'm really interested to see what happens when you step out of the bay of the pelican

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Halo music, gets me every time.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Unimpressive?

Xbox threads during E3 are always a chore to stomach.

On Topic
I really wonder how the XB1S will handle this?
Im def Gamepass the campaign on PC but MP on XB1, just hope they dont cut too much on S version.

And the game looks this good without even utilizing the apparent Hardware accelerated RayTracing....so this will only look better with time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why exactly are we analyzing trailers now? In-engine trailers have never been representative of actual gameplay.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt look like a big leap over what we had in Halo 5 cutscenes. not that i was expecting more considering its a cross gen game.

It will be interesting to see if gameplay sections got a big next gen worthy upgrade over Halo 5.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the video and he's at the point where he's talking about how we'll have to wait and see how Scarlett's CPU will effect gameplay and AI (bigger battles, more dynamic AI, destruction and physics, etc). It's a cross-gen game. I can't imagine any game taking full advantage of Zen 2 for tentpole features like those when developers need to develop with Jaguar cores in mind.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the effort and I know people are thirsty for next gen, but this seems totally pointless.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Looks unimpressive if it runs on next gen hardware. It doesn't look leaps beyond what we have today, and the facial expressions look average.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of the "looks unimpressive" folks even seen the video?

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Unimpressive?

Xbox threads during E3 are always a chore to stomach.

On Topic
I really wonder how the XB1S will handle this?
Im def Gamepass the campaign on PC but MP on XB1, just hope they dont cut too much on S version.

And the game looks this good without even utilizing the apparent Hardware accelerated RayTracing....so this will only look better with time.
People are allowed to have that opinion.....it 's not all a conspiracy against xbox.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the video and he's at the point where he's talking about how we'll have to wait and see how Scarlett's CPU will effect gameplay and AI (bigger battles, more dynamic AI, destruction and physics, etc). It's a cross-gen game. I can't imagine any game taking full advantage of Zen 2 for tentpole features like those when developers need to develop with Jaguar cores in mind.

Also, isn't zen 2 only like slightly more than twice as fast? So it's a nice bump but will it really be a massive jump forward with all these new systems/AI/physics? Or are we getting carried away

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Have any of the "looks unimpressive" folks even seen the video?
yea, i saw it multiple times, i still did not get the "WOAH" moment from it, but that is mostly from the type of showcase they went with tbh. closed space, not many characters, no vegetation etc. its lacking in the things that will cause the woah factor.
i wish that they would just have shown game play from the open world, would have been much easier to determine the graphical leap.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I didn't get that. He talks at a couple of points throughout the video like it's only coming to next-gen, which was confusing. Some of the potential CPU-side improvements for gameplay that he speculates about are going to be limited by whatever the base XB1 can do, at its target framerate at least.

Also, isn't zen 2 only like slightly more than twice as fast? So it's a nice bump but will it really be a massive jump forward with all these new systems/AI/physics? Or are we getting carried away

Should be 4x better, assuming a doubling of clockspeed. More, perhaps, for SIMD workloads, if they have the full AVX suite.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are they talking about the game as if it was a "next gen" game?
Just because its releasing on Xbox doesn't mean the target version isnt up to next gen standards. Is Witcher 3 a previous gen game because its on Switch? Theres going to be obvious sacrifices on Xbox S version.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The image quality and material work in the trailer is bonkers. The details in Chief's hands when he looked down was ridiculous.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Watching on Mixer during the conference I didn't get any wow factor but once I watched the 4k YouTube video I was absolutely impressed.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
343i has made an remarkable graphical engine :) This is bringing Halo CE levels of hype back
They definitely have and It looks amazing. This and Flight Simulator looked ace. 343i seems to be going all out. Imagine recreating those sweet sweet battles from Halo CE with this engine. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how Bungie and 343i pushed the 360 hardware to it's graphical limits with Halo Reach and 4 I do expect a graphical showcase with Halo Infinite.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are allowed to have that opinion.....it 's not all a conspiracy against xbox.
Of course people can state their opinion but other people can state their opinion about other people's opinions.
On topic: the roundness was something that looks next gen to me. I like detailed worlds but I hate to see obvious polygons. It's nice to see it fine, at least in the trailer, at 60 fps no less. I only wonder how this will translate to base Xbox One.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
At the end of the trailer. The doors open up but into space. Is he doing an odst drop on the ring? Or maybe onto an attacking ship? Is Atriox the ultimate villain in this? So many questions.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Doesnt look like a big leap over what we had in Halo 5 cutscenes. not that i was expecting more considering its a cross gen game.

It will be interesting to see if gameplay sections got a big next gen worthy upgrade over Halo 5.
You need to get your eyes checked or upgrade your TV. The graphical fidelity and lighting is not possible on current consoles including the X

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Looks really good overall. My only nitpicks are that the materials have a bit too plasticky of a look. The skin in particular looks very waxy.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What I noticed is how different the art style overall seems to look now compared to last year. Maybe it's just because of the location they are in, but I preferred the look of last year. I loved the metallic look of Chief's armor.

What I also wonder is, can we really expect the world to look like that during gameplay, the world from last year's trailer that is?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I noticed is how different the art style overall seems to look now compared to last year. Maybe it's just because of the location they are in, but I preferred the look of last year. I loved the metallic look of Chief's armor.

What I also wonder is, can we really expect the world to look like that during gameplay, the world from last year's trailer that is?

It's still there, you see it in the close ups when he is walking towards the blue halo map.

There has been some stellar open world games, I don't doubt it but will probably look a little rough on Xbox One.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Looks great, but I'm not impressed by those visuals if it's really running on Scarlett hardware. Looks like a current gen game. Looking forward to gameplay footage though.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I dont get next gen vibes from it. Textures look good and lightning, but that marine doesnt look next gen at all.

The game does look good, but it just looks like current gen game.