• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really hope this game shines upon release. No Bioware level of graphical downgrades. I'm too hyped for this one and this will move consoles if Microsoft delivers on the high expectations.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The marine guy is highly detailed but he does look a bit rough with current gen hair, shadows.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Graphical wise I think cyberpunk and deathstranding look better and they aren't even next gen

Diminishing returns I guess

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched this trailer multiple times already, so many feels. It's funny that the Gamespot 1080p video is up first, while the 4K version of the video is further down in search results. Make sure you all watch the 4K version!

My excitement is still through the roof for this game, too bad we probably won't hear about it again for a while.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
it looks nice with lots of detail, still a lot of time until release to improve it further, it will be interesting to see it running on real hardware and how much it improves or not.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The marine guy is highly detailed but he does look a bit rough with current gen hair, shadows.
We need a placeholder name for the pelican pilot. I vote for Dustin Echoes.

Graphical wise I think cyberpunk and deathstranding look better and they aren't even next gen

Diminishing returns I guess
I think the IQ is better than what we saw in Cyberpunk, which had this weird vaseline thing going on in the gameplay demo, but Cyberpunk is more impressive overall from what we've seen.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Doesnt look like a big leap over what we had in Halo 5 cutscenes. not that i was expecting more considering its a cross gen game.

It will be interesting to see if gameplay sections got a big next gen worthy upgrade over Halo 5.

I dont get next gen vibes from it. Textures look good and lightning, but that marine doesnt look next gen at all.

The game does look good, but it just looks like current gen game.

...the game is nearly 18 months away from release.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't impress me in the slightest. DMCV is the reference for cutscenes imo and this is far away from matching it.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
It doesn't at all if you watch the video. No current gen hardware is able to render what we see here at 60 fps.

Well it still looks like current gen game, but yeah i give them that 60 FPS and we won't be seeing games running 60 FPS and looking that good on current gen.

Still doesn't scream next gen.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Weird dilemma to have, Halo is finally coming back to PC but I really want experience this thing on my OLED tv.

Oct 25, 2017
Well it still looks like current gen game, but yeah i give them that 60 FPS and we won't be seeing games running 60 FPS and looking that good on current gen.

Still doesn't scream next gen.

To me, these cutscenes dont because I've seen beautiful cutscenes this gen.

I need scale. I need to see how this looks. What do the animations look like while I'm playing.
The first trailer was almost there.

This trailer did look nice, and maybe the cutscene was done on next gen hardware, but it didn't look like something only next gen could do.
Unless this just a simple "its now 4k/60fps." Then I guess, but that stuff isn't really exciting to me tbh.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Looks really good. The animation is a huge step up from Halo 5. Just look at the pilot's eyes for the improved detail. Folks need to accept that graphical fidelity is amazing across the game industry right now, so we aren't quite seeing jaw dropping graphical improvements, but beautiful refinements of what was established earlier this gen. I don't know what next gen will look like yet, but if it looked like the Last of Us 2, Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk etc at the start, I would have no issue with that. Games look friggin awesome right now.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
the crazy thing about this trailer, IMO, is when you appreciate what its doing here (lighting, textures/materials, etc) and then apply it to the giant vistas we saw in last years trailer.

i think the waypoint article alluded to this, or maybe it was one of the e3 interviews, but they are going for that CE wow moment - where you played through smallish corridors only to have the world open up when you crash land on the ring. i think infinite will capture that beautifully

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
To me, these cutscenes dont because I've seen beautiful cutscenes this gen.

I need scale. I need to see how this looks. What do the animations look like while I'm playing.
The first trailer was almost there.

This trailer did look nice, and maybe the cutscene was done on next gen hardware, but it didn't look like something only next gen could do.

Exactly. I wanna see how it looks and plays open world, with enemies and vegetation. But this current trailer just doesn't have my jaw dropping and going "whoa".

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics in trailer looked 'good'. Nothing more. No next-gen vibes at all. I was more impressed by FF7R and Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe the should've made a better trailer.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
the crazy thing about this trailer, IMO, is when you appreciate what its doing here (lighting, textures/materials, etc) and then apply it to the giant vistas we saw in last years trailer.

i think the waypoint article alluded to this, or maybe it was one of the e3 interviews, but they are going for that CE wow moment - where you played through smallish corridors only to have the world open up when you crash land on the ring. i think infinite will capture that beautifully
Right but I don't blame people for saying they're not impressed when we haven't seen that scaled to a open world/large scale level yet.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Looks great, but I'm not impressed by those visuals if it's really running on Scarlett hardware. Looks like a current gen game. Looking forward to gameplay footage though.

Well, last year's trailer definitely impressed me more but I really think we just need to see it running now. Also we need to keep in mind that it will be 60fps and that will always mean it's not gonna look as good if it were 30fps. I do like how detailed it all looks but the one thing I don't find all that impressive at all is the guy's face. The short part DF shows of Halo of Mike Colter is much more realistic. That being said, I expect that the ingame characters look like this too. Whereas in Halo 5 the characters didn't even look remotely close to as good as the cinematic.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If you are patron, get the source file. The material look almost like you could reach out and touch them.

It will be interesting if the game uses ray tracing but limit it to cutscene and only for MC's visor. For a game running at 60fps and a resolution north of 1080p, I would imagine any ray tracing will have to scaled back (compared to games running at 1080p and 30fps).

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm also in the camp of feeling this is simply a good looking current-gen cinematic. Can't say it's doing anything that screams next-gen.

Show us some actual gameplay with a huge lush open world and dense foliage and i'll be more impressed I bet.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
when you see it in detail is impressive, shame they only show a closed environment. I'm sure if they would have showned a couple of second of target gameplay or at least some contextualized open world, the reception would have been different. So far it looks less impressive than photorealistic games like cyberpunk, or even Gears 5, but that's part on the cleaner art direction too.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Cant wait for next year and actually see gameplay from various devs for next gen consoles. Curious to see how this holds up against them.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
i have a feeling a lot of you aren't watching this in 4k, the detail is insane

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
i have a feeling a lot of you aren't watching this in 4k, the detail is insane

I think it's definitely a showcase for how much more detail 343i is aiming to achieve. The level of detail in such a small area in the Pelican is great and we haven't seen anything like that in Halo yet.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm also in the camp of feeling this is simply a good looking current-gen cinematic. Can't say it's doing anything that screams next-gen.

Show us some actual gameplay with a huge lush open world and dense foliage and i'll be more impressed I bet.

Warthog through tall grass like a velociraptor.

Oct 28, 2017
the image quality is superb, but both Death Stranding and TLO 2 seriously look much better than this. I really expect a lot more from next gen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have watched. Still doesnt scream next gen.

In terms of look, I understand what you mean (it has a very clean look) but if you look at the breakdown, the consistency and magnitude of detail, resolution and the framerate would not have been possible on the base consoles at least.

Anyway, this is only a glimpse into a cutscene being rendered in very small space (and Dictator alludes to it as well). Who knows how close the real time visuals during gameplay will compare.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
37aHjGw.gif

eolJ8RI.gif

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of look, I understand what you mean (it has a very clean look) but if you look at the breakdown, the consistency and magnitude of detail, resolution and the framerate would not have been possible on the base consoles at least.

Anyway, this is only a glimpse into a cutscene being rendered in very small space (and Dictator alludes to it as well). Who knows how close the real time visuals during gameplay will compare.
Yea this kind of stuff is getting harder and harder to notice every new gen, don't really think graphics matter much anymore tbh, if we have reached a point where differences have to pointed out to us to show us what is better

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't think it looked impressive at all so I'm going to guess it's Xbox One graphics.

Death Stranding, Cyberpunk & TLOU2 look better BUT we haven't seen too much of Infinite to really decide completely.

But based on what they've shown... it's not really jaw dropping graphically.