• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also in the camp that feels this is incredibly underwhelming,it looks about what I would expect some of the best looking current gen games to look like when ported to next gen hardware.
It surely does not look as good as say cyberpunk though maybe that will look at lot worse on ps5/scarlet when compared to the PC build.

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I really didn't think it looked impressive at all so I'm going to guess it's Xbox One graphics.

Death Stranding, Cyberpunk & TLOU2 look better BUT we haven't seen too much of Infinite to really decide completely.

But based on what they've shown... it's not really jaw dropping graphically.

Halo never aimed for being realistic when it came to graphics. But this looks good nonetheless. Its still early footage. They have plenty of time to improve graphics.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really didn't think it looked impressive at all so I'm going to guess it's Xbox One graphics.

Death Stranding, Cyberpunk & TLOU2 look better BUT we haven't seen too much of Infinite to really decide completely.

And another one. Did you even click on the video? I feel for Alex, so much time spent on a video and people don't respect it at all.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

They do look, but they are also 30 FPS.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
HALOINFINITE_E319_TWTR_ChiefOnboard.gif

HALOINFINITE_E319_TWTR_Ring.gif

HALOINFINITE_E319_TWTR_CanopyWipe.gif

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Yo Alex, you´re much better to be understood than the last time I heard you narrating a video, slower and more articulate, nice :)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's the detail that's very impressive here and that's why it failed to make an impact to the wider audience. But the demo of the environments last year was very impressive, all at 60fps. Now think of those large vast environments combined with the intricate detail of this demo and you start to piece together just how impressive HI will likely be.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
It's the detail that's very impressive here and that's why it failed to make an impact to the wider audience. But the demo of the environments last year was very impressive, all at 60fps. Now think of those large vast environments combined with the intricate detail of this demo and you start to piece together just how impressive HI will likely be.

Yup it's just the beggining. Can't wait for more gameplay to show this game is going to be insane 4k 60fps on Scarlett

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm a huge Xbox fan, have been since the very first Xbox and I loved Halo 4 and was amazed by the visuals. Not so much by 5 but that was due to the underpowered hardware. That being said this new video is a mixed bag for me. Some parts look great, others don't do much for me. Like when we see the marine in front of us, the lighting here doesn't look all that amazing, or maybe it's the art style they are going for. I wouldn't call it cartoony but it sure seems a different style than any other Halo. I really need to get used to it.

Mostly, I just want to see gameplay. If they managed to get it looking like the 2018 trailer during gameplay in 4K/60fps I'm gonna be a really happy dude. Raytracing not being included is unfortunate, I would LOVE if they do add that. If anything it would make a lot of sense to have their behemoth launch game making use of it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo never aimed for being realistic when it came to graphics. But this looks good nonetheless. Its still early footage. They have plenty of time to improve graphics.

Oh it looks good for sure, and with it still being so far off, not to mention we haven't seen it running on next gen yet (I hope), it could easily still surprise us.

And another one. Did you even click on the video? I feel for Alex, so much time spent on a video and people don't respect it at all.

I'm just going by what I saw from the trailer at E3 and last year, it looks good, not great. Maybe you can zoom in and find astonishing detail but it didn't wow me like other title.

They do look, but they are also 30 FPS.

True enough, i'm sure if Infinite was only aiming for 30fps they could push the graphics more.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Think we will get a better impression when they are out in the wide open, the environment they showed last year already looked impressive. As with gears, MS could of picked something interesting to show off the game.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I completely agree. People always forget about the Xbox One's secret hidden GPU that allows it to render native 4K at a clean 60 FPS.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yea this kind of stuff is getting harder and harder to notice every new gen, don't really think graphics matter much anymore tbh, if we have reached a point where differences have to pointed out to us to show us what is better

I would wager that differences will become more apparent once development of next gen only games start in earnest, especially those that limit framerates to 30fps. As for Halo Infinty, if all cutscenes run at 60fps at resolutions north of 1440p, it already attests to the generational leap in power compared to what was done with Halo 5 where (as portrayed in the breakdown) the cutscenes, whilst in engine, were rendered at half the framerate and reduced resolution (black bars at top and bottom that altered aspect ratio).

Also, the biggest improvements should come in the form of drawcalls (done by CPU) which ought to mitigate an issue that has become utterly egregious this gen squarely because higher resolution and object detail do NOT mesh well with it, i.e. LoD pop ins.

Nov 30, 2017
There are areas where it looks next gen but others where we haven't seen any improvement. Unfortunately this is a target trailer where when gameplay comes in to play it will be downgraded.

I will be surprised if it improves. Especially in the animation, shadows, and facial expressions department which is more important to me than just graphics. The over exaggeration of animations feels so uncanny now.

BorisTheZombie

Alt Account
Banned
May 17, 2019
The Xbox One X would struggle to render that at native 4K at 30 FPS let alone 60. I have no doubt it would have to drop down to 1620p to 1800p. So for those saying this "doesn't look next-gen" or that it's "unimpressive" I find the logic very puzzling.

The concept of next-gen is 'what you're seeing here is not possible on current gen', and as outlined it's assuredly not.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the trailer. The doors open up but into space. Is he doing an odst drop on the ring? Or maybe onto an attacking ship? Is Atriox the ultimate villain in this? So many questions.

I was under the impression that they were being captured by another ship. So chief jumped into the lift on the offensive.

I doubt atriox is the ultimate villain, but it was interesting- the pilot seemed to be dreading "them" but 343 was intentionally vague. It could be anything, even a new threat that emerged since H5.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Not to parrot digital foundry but it's running in 4K at 60fps, and there's pretty much no aliasing whatsoever, that's pretty damn impressive for a game that looks this good.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Not to parrot digital foundry but it's running in 4K at 60fps, and there's pretty much no aliasing whatsoever, that's pretty damn impressive for a game that looks this good.

Unless I am mistaken, I did not hear him talk about the native resolution in the video. So I am still uncertain whether the resolution is natively 4K. Personally, I am expecting it might as well be given it is a cutscene. It will be interesting if the game and cutscene were to have resolution parity.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Cyberpunk look better BUT we haven't seen too much of Infinite to really decide completely.

definitely facial, skin and clothing animations are better, lighting maybe current gen

Pk7ZgfZ.gif

97VlHAw.gif

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Hysterically hot takes in here.

The game looks amazing 18 months before launch and all at 4k/60fps.

Damn.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Looks gorgeous. Probably gonna be mind blowing if they add ray tracing to the mix too.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but that trailer drew me in. If the rest of the game captures that vibe, I'm in.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that they were being captured by another ship. So chief jumped into the lift on the offensive.

I doubt atriox is the ultimate villain, but it was interesting- the pilot seemed to be dreading "them" but 343 was intentionally vague. It could be anything, even a new threat that emerged since H5.

It's pretty obvious what it is

3w39.gif

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they have raytracing in multiplayer too, it would be cool to see an enemy around a corner reflecting off of your teammates visor. Halo is shaping up to be a monster they'll have at least 8M players in the first 90 days.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

I hope it's just an old fashioned covie ship encounter. Chief cleans house then grabs the pilot and lands on Halo.
It's pretty obvious what it is

3w39.gif
You think Chief would fight a Guardian 1 on 1?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think what's throwing people off and leading to a lot of 'doesn't look that good' is the human character front and center for most of the trailer and not the fidelity of the visuals/tech elsewhere. Currently shown games like Death Stranding, TLoU, Cyberpunk have better models and animations than that.

That's what I think at least.