• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
definitely facial, skin and clothing animations are better, lighting maybe current gen

Pk7ZgfZ.gif

97VlHAw.gif

Yeah, maybe it's also the art direction of Cyberpunk & Death Stranding etc that impress me more too.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
This is the first time a new next-gen game shown didn't impress me much. The character's face model and expression isn't very good.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately I am in the camp which think it doesn't look like proper need gen game. I was expecting something like wd reveal trailer.
This looks like current gen game with high end PC settings and higher textures.

Last e3 trailer looked more impressive to be honest

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get next gen vibes from it. Textures look good and lightning, but that marine doesnt look next gen at all.

The game does look good, but it just looks like current gen game.

I'm kinda in this boat. The trailer got me hyped mostly due to the music and CE vibes.
But visually I think it was fine. Outside of the image and texture quality (which are expected in a Teaser trailer), it didn't look 'next gen' to me.
I think it just comes down to the fact that we're yet to see any action or scale. The scene they showed was confined to a small area. No doubt if/when they show footage of this fidelity in a big action scene, the 'next gen' experience will become obvious.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
It does look very, very nice

It doesn't look to be a full next gen leap, but there are elements like insanely high dof, textures, and volumetric lighting that you don't really see on a current gen console game.

I hate that we didn't get any kind of look of outdoor environments or a hint of gameplay

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What really made me fall off my seat is the individual physics on Chiefs armour plates around his thighs, look how they push and pull independently then reform into place. You can see it better towards the end of the demo when he's walking in that large room with the blue holograph, this is next gen level of detail.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. But so do many Xbox One X titles and nothing shown so far makes me think " whoa, now THATS next gen!" If that trailer was supposed to get me excited for the new console, it failed.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Halo now a 60 FPS franchise, we just have to accept it won't blow us away visually any more on console. Will have to look for PC version for that.

I do think 343 made the right call though. Halo 5 for all its issues plays wonderfully.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
You think Chief would fight a Guardian 1 on 1?
What strikes me as most amusing about that post is that in Halo 5, it's stated one Guardian is enough to police an entire galaxy. In Bad Blood, we see the kind of devastation a single Guardian can wreak on a single planet, and it's horrifying enough that it takes the combined efforts of Alpha-Nine (who are all Spartans, sans Dare) just to evacuate the colonists. They don't even consider fighting it.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I think it looks incredible in terms of polygons, textures, iq and lightning but i dont think its realtime and its a very closed space.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what's throwing people off and leading to a lot of 'doesn't look that good' is the human character front and center for most of the trailer and not the fidelity of the visuals/tech elsewhere. Currently shown games like Death Stranding, TLoU, Cyberpunk have better models and animations than that.

That's what I think at least.

Yeah I think if you're right. Needs a bit of work. I'm guessing they did most of this without using Senua Studio, but obviously that's now changed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Was it confirmed it is in real time? It only says in engine and for example forstbite games show a lot of in engine trailer than arent realtime and look way better than the game.

It would be as in-engine as games like Spiderman or Uncharted where the rendering is done in real time but with enhanced details (at the least that is how it is being done on current gen HW). IIRC, Halo 5 did the same thing but at half the framerate of gameplay to increase fidelity.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I hope this is One X footage as I would be pretty disappointed if it was Scarlett. No apparent ray tracing, the models don't look super detailed. These graphics would be believable for this generation.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think what's throwing people off and leading to a lot of 'doesn't look that good' is the human character front and center for most of the trailer and not the fidelity of the visuals/tech elsewhere. Currently shown games like Death Stranding, TLoU, Cyberpunk have better models and animations than that.

Pretty much. The overall rendering is very good, but the character isn't the most impressive by any stretch. Graphically, there are a number of games that impressed me more than this at E3 - FFVII Re, DS, Cyberpunk - but at 4k 60 fps would be an impressive showing of what a next gen system can do with what is effectively a current gen targetted game.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is One X footage as I would be pretty disappointed if it was Scarlett. No apparent ray tracing, the models don't look super detailed. These graphics would be believable for this generation.

At this point you can bet 99% that this footage is running off of the engine on a PC with target Scarlet specs.

The console is a full year and a half away.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Why would MS show off X version as a follow up to Scarlette reveal? That would be utterly daft. And I do not know which feed you are looking at but your complaints are not lining up with what breakdown portrays especially in its lossless format.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Let's hope raytracing will be added because that's definitely gonna make a big difference. Because if not, what are the true big differences going to be between the game running on X versus Scarlett except for resolution and visual fidelity?

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Doesn't their version of the trailer state "Game Engine Footage"? The youtube version does.
Seems like Microsoft would rather use "Ingame" or "Realtime" if that would be the case. No reason to hold that information back.
Weird that Eurogamer doesn't even mention it unless i missed that.

edit: oh they started the footage right when that text fades away...should have mentioned it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Let's hope raytracing will be added because that's definitely gonna make a big difference. Because if not, what are the true big differences going to be between the game running on X versus Scarlett except for resolution and visual fidelity?

How about:
  • Much better mid to far away distance LoD
  • Comparatively far fewer or less notable LoD pop in
  • More sophisticated physics simulation
  • Most likely no load times

Of course, I do not expect improvement to any core aspect of the game which would affect feature level parity with X.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
They said they'd be running this on PC (presumably with Scarlett's target specs), and while I wasn't blown away, per se, there are individual things that give away that this isn't simply another current gen game. That ship detail, for instance. It was quite sharp and accurate. We have to also bear in mind what was said just prior to E3. That we wouldn't be see any exclusives from the Xbox's next gen machine for some time (assuming that wasn't later debunked).

I grabbed some screens from the trailer (in 4K ~ resized to 1440p) and liked what I saw.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
How about:

Of course, I do not expect improvement to any core aspect of the game which would affect feature level parity with X.

We don't really know what the LOD is because we were in such a constrained environment. If it shows the open space in engine and LOD is incredible then I will be floored as that is one of my biggest complaints about this generation.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you have to be trolling, 4K 60 realtime cutscene that looks better than any other game on console. I can understand if you don't find the art style visually impressive, as it's not pushing for photorealism. But come on...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
We don't really know what the LOD is because we were in such a constrained environment. If it shows the open space in engine and LOD is incredible then I will be floored as that is one of my biggest complaints about this generation.

Well yes, but the points I outlined are the most logical expectations from an upgraded specs running a cross generational game.

At the end of the day, MS wants to sell the new HW by featuring their flagship IP as a launch title. And to do so, the devs need to ensure that the next gen version looks head and shoulders above the current gen versions so that any Tom, Dick and Harry can tell them apart without struggle.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Some of you have to be trolling, 4K 60 realtime cutscene that looks better than any other game on console. I can understand if you don't find the art style visually impressive, as it's not pushing for photorealism. But come on...
Exactly. The texture work here alone is on another level.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm playing Halo 5 on my X now, the second level and the lighting there still looks really damn good. After that X patch things have greatly improved for sure for the overall picture quality. I have faith in 343 that they will have a visual showcase for the game. This new video may not have blown me away, I can't deny that, I expect they will give a real good in depth gameplay demo next E3 (unless the same marketing team of Gears 5 has their say, lol. Yeh, no way.) of the big open area from the 2018 trailer and we're gonna like it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
People were saying last year's trailer looked like an RTS. People must just have olives for eyeballs.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
How about:

LOD pop in and poor physics and AI are my top three pet peeves with games.

When I played Battlefront 2 for the first time I was blown away by the graphics until I witnessed the aggressive pop in that happens right in front of you, all the small rocks and trees and items that pop in, it's really distracting and ruins immersion imo.

I thought we would have zero pop in at this point tbh, many years ago on PC it seemed to be getting better and better but this gen it seems to have become more of an issue for some reason.

Oct 28, 2017
4K 60fps is hot, but the TLOU 2 and death stranding look much more advanced and visually impressive.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I really didn't think it looked impressive at all so I'm going to guess it's Xbox One graphics.

Death Stranding, Cyberpunk & TLOU2 look better BUT we haven't seen too much of Infinite to really decide completely.

But based on what they've shown... it's not really jaw dropping graphically.

Every piece of Cyberpunk footage out there is PC footage. TLOU 2 is 30 and Death looks quite bad.

This footage is not Xbox One footage.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was not impressed sadly.

High end current gen stuff and "bad" characters imo. Chief looks fine but the human looks bog-standard.

But a small room isn't the best way to show me the power of the next xbox.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

That and just unveiling a next gen game with a cutscene of 2 character models in a mostly confined gray/brown space probably isn't the best idea. People need to see size and scale.

It's definitely good looking but I also see why some aren't amazed.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to the character models absolutely, that is one a whole different level for sure. Not impressed with the soldier character model in Halo Infinite at all. The rest, such as the environments, lighting, LOD etc remains to be seen.
The character face clearly isn't aiming to be photorealistic due to the art direction, thats obvious by comparing Halo 5 and infinites faces. But the character models are just as impressive, the amount of polygons, texture resolution, material rendering of Chief and the pilot is just as good if not better. Like seriously look at Chief and tell me that character model is current gen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
LOD pop in and poor physics and AI are my top three pet peeves with games.

When I played Battlefront 2 for the first time I was blown away by the graphics until I witnessed the aggressive pop in that happens right in front of you, all the small rocks and trees and items that pop in, it's really distracting and ruins immersion imo.

I thought we would have zero pop in at this point tbh, many years ago on PC it seemed to be getting better and better but this gen it seems to have become more of an issue for some reason.

Indeed. I am pretty sure it is not lost of visual fx artists that fidelity (incl. resolution) scale inversely to visual flaws brought on limitations posed by processing power. If next gen visuals get a significant boost, it would be for naught if LoD systems do not see a commensurate improvement. People do not play pretty pictures.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Indeed. I am pretty sure it is not lost of visual fx artists that fidelity (incl. resolution) scale inversely to visual flaws brought on limitations posed by processing power. If next gen visuals get a significant boost, it would be for naught if LoD systems do not see a commensurate improvement. People do not play pretty pictures.

Couldn't agree more.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was impressive for a game that was running at native 4k at 60fps. The level of detail was impressive and the lighting was as well. If they can keep that quality up for large open battlefields with lasers and tanks shooting at you, and other enemies and soldiers fighting all at 60fps in 4k, then yes its an impressive early next gen title. Showing a small enclosed ship was probably not the best way to show off the engine but perhaps it was to get a better look at what they are doing instead of having a big open battlefield.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

100%. Really nothing special about the human whose face we're looking at for a good chunk of the trailer. TLoU 2 has better faces running in real time on current gen hardware. Also totally baffling choice to set your next-gen engine showcase in a tin can.

And if casual observers who are already inclined to get excited about technological leaps need a meticulous breakdown before they start to appreciate what you're doing, that's not on them, you just put together a poor showcase.

Last edited: