• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
I think people will see what they want to see.
But to act like the facial model/animations of the pilot are even close to the level we're seeing in Death Stranding is straight up trolling. The gif of 'mama' is not even fully representative and there's lots of footage out there. Technically the Halo scene might be pushing more complex techniques, but the end result doesn't look markedly better, stricly talking about the facial animations/rendering.

What's clear is that Guerilla (with a next-gen optimized Decima engine), Naughty Dog and Santa Monica will WRECK US ALL when they debut their PS5 projects.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Microsoft certainly has and probably will always have an up hill battle in Era.

Ugggh stop with this victim stuff.

is sony did that the talk on resetera would be that its more realistic looking than real life. People would trip over themselves to gush over the magnificence of that reveal. It would be hailed as the greatest leap in graphics ever

You too. There are nunerous times Sony has been bashed.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Looks better than a Halo game needs to be. Outside of Halo 1 and occasionally Halo 4 none of the games were graphics envelope pushers.

I expect Coalition, Playground, NT, and Turn 10 to be the graphics powerhouses for MS on Scarlett.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really good. Makes me excited to what a title made exclusively for next gen will look like.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I feel like the mid-gen refreshes in the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have really skewed people's perceptions of what current-gen actually lools like, and how next gen should present. The lighting, textures, models and shadows here (perhaps facial animations aside) spits on anything the base PS4 and One S have done

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This not the problem of been next gen or cross gen. This will be difficult too for other teams at the beginning of the gen to be far ahead in cutscene. The Heretic looks good, we will probably reach it on next gen but the guy did not have hair for example.

All people speaks about global illumination/raytracing but there is tons of other things to improve to looks like CGI. Geometry current rendering pipeline is not polygon pixel size friendly, geometric continuous LOD for no pop in(sub surface primitive, tesslelation, displacement), possibility to use procedural texture like in cg, better IQ(decoupled sampling from visibility maybe,5D integrals or other stochastic sampling), better motion blur, better Depth of field/defocus blur...

For example if Cyberpunk 2077 was realtime and not CGI, I would say we are far ahead of current gen cutscene...

Oct 27, 2017
Some quick comparisons I could throw together for cutscenes on current gen that run real time against Halo.
Devil May Cry 5
29865275197_2455409e48_k_d.jpg

Halo Infinite
hi_e319_bspk_thedesireforconnection_wtrmk-1920x1080-56a030edfc744a71bf1a2ad21a50f360.jpg

The Last of Us Part II
the-last-of-us-part-ii-e3-2018-screen-31-ps4-us-10jul18

Death Stranding
death-stranding-screen-10-ps4-us-28may19

Last edited:

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343i has made an remarkable graphical engine :) This is bringing Halo CE levels of hype back

Nothing will ever bring those levels of hype back!

The visuals look okay but not next-gen worthy? I mean, the pay off is that this will most likely be running at 60fps and possibly be open world. In that regard, I don't mind it at all.

Halo is FAR more open and will have a lot more going on than the likes of linear games like TLOU 2, DMC or open world games like Death Stranding.

Dec 31, 2017
Nothing will ever bring those levels of hype back!
With the art style they are aiming for and what they have said in interviews about anting to get more in line with early Halo games, the chief's armour for example, and then being the first Halo game to be available at an Xbox launch since the OG Xbox, id say they have a shot at crazy hype levels!

Also, game looks phenomenal, I'll be playing this Day 1 on Scarlet and I can't wait!

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Even when Digital Foundry says it's impressive people still try to undermine others who find this impressive. I also don't get the Death Stranding comparisons. Halo Infinite is a 4k/60fps title whilst Death Stranding will probably be 1440p/30fps max. The DS characters also have that wax look to them that makes them feel like they are made out of plastic sometimes.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
With the art style they are aiming for and what they have said in interviews about anting to get more in line with early Halo games, the chief's armour for example, and then being the first Halo game to be available at an Xbox launch since the OG Xbox, id say they have a shot at crazy hype levels!

Also, game looks phenomenal, I'll be playing this Day 1 on Scarlet and I can't wait!

They are not reaching those good old times hype levels. Maybe for some fans, but not for general audience.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
It looks extremely clean IQ wise and of course the 60fps bit is crazy.
But I dunno, overall I didn't find it to have any sort of ''wow'' next gen factor.

For example I think TLoU Part II gameplay demo graphics last year was more impressive even though its 30fps.
Very very good looking game either way though!

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't find the graphics in the Halo trailer to be all that impressive, but its got a good, very clean look to it which I find appealing. Having said that I hope true "next-gen" graphics impress more than this. Devil May Cry 5's character models are more impressive than this Halo trailer. Its fucking bonkers how good the faces look in that game, god damn I can't wait to see what that team and engine can do on the next gen consoles.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I dunno, overall I didn't find it to have any sort of ''wow'' next gen factor.

For example I think TLoU Part II gameplay demo graphics last year was more impressive even though its 30fps.

Unfortunately it's this opinion that will hold games back from prioritising performance over prettiness.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the art style they are aiming for and what they have said in interviews about anting to get more in line with early Halo games, the chief's armour, and then being the first Halo game to be available at an Xbox launch since the OG Xbox, is day they have a shot at crazy hype levels!

All what you have said is pandering towards nostalgia which is great and all but to TRULY reach Halo 1-3 levels of hype, the game is going to have to show a lot more. I really doubt it will do that. Remember, Halo 2 single-handedly proved to the world that consoles can do Online mp FPS well. Halo 3 took it to another level with 4 player online coop, forge mode, game recording etc.

With Halo 6, many of us are just praying that the story resolves all the shortcomings of the last game and really delivers a campaign worthy of the Halo name. That's no mean feat considering how lackluster and disjointed Halo 5's story was. With regard to MP, whilst people enjoy Halo 5's MP, what are studio going to do to really get people excited? More of the same isn't enough really unless they really and I mean really refine the gameplay. Halo 6 has a tough task ahead of itself, mostly because of the really high expectations us fans have for the series.

But yes, this being a launch title- oh man its going create some waves one way or another. I hope 343 smashes it out of the park.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
issue with halo is technically it looks fine, but artisitically it kinda looks bland, and chief looks like a plastic toy. its still SUPER early, and we havent seen the more action oriented stuff, but this was a poor showing if they were trying to show off NEXT GEN imo.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I think this time gameplay will be more impressive than cutscene at least at the beginning of the gen. With SSD and much better streaming capacity, this will give a huge difference.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Have any of the "looks unimpressive" folks even seen the video?
Can people have their own opinion based on their eyes and brain??

You know, Df is not the bible...

The game certaintly looks very good, especially for a 60 frame game but for some people is not that impressive or really next gen (the game has to run on xone too)

Also this is a cinematic with enhanced details (like 99% of real time cinematics in modern games) 2 chara and a 2x2 room, i wanna see 4k60frame ROCK SOLID gameplay in open areas with a lot of enemies and shit on screen, then we can really talk about graphics...

P.s. i watched the trailer in 4k on my oled tv multiple times, before anyone ask.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Unfortunately it's this opinion that will hold games back from prioritising performance over prettiness.

It sounds like it was the tech that made those decisions before, not including Naughty dog style games, next gen sounds like the machines are well balanced and you can have great graphics and performance.

I don't think I would expect to be wowed by a game demo 18 months from release. They should have linked the new console to a small tech demo of some kind.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about one thing... Microsoft talked about the new custom SSD that will allow devs to design games in a different way to take advantage of this new technology ( no more sections just made to load the new area) , but if the games will be cross gen how they'll do it?

Will they make two different games or the only difference will be resolution/ texture/ post processing / RT / etc and loading times?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking about one thing... Microsoft talked about the new custom SSD that will allow devs to design games in a different way to take advantage of this new technology ( no more sections just made to load the new area) , but if the games will be cross gen how they'll do it?

Will they make two different games or the only difference will be resolution/ texture/ post processing / RT / etc and loading times?
Not many developers make two different games, they just scale down and it's really down to the engine. Scarlett Halo will look crazy good against a base Xbox One, especially factoring in SSD and HW RT.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Not many developers make two different games, they just scale down and it's really down to the engine. Scarlett Halo will look crazy good against a base Xbox One, especially factoring in SSD and HW RT.
I thought the same but how they will be able to " scale" the design of the game? One of the big pro of these custom Ssd is that there is no need for areas only made in order to load the next "real" section. How can you design a game in this way if you have to release it on Xbox One as well?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I dont know about that. Its an in-engine cinematic trailer with zero gameplay shown. Things like Tlou2, GoT show more graphical fidelity. Animations-wise its also not as good.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wait, this is just a CG trailer right? Or does it run realtime and is it in-game footage?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought the same but how they will be able to " scale" the design of the game? One of the big pro of these custom Ssd is that there is no need for areas only made in order to load the next "real" section. How can you design a game in this way if you have to release it on Xbox One as well?
Ultimately this is the issue. I would rather they just drop Xbox One and focus on nextgen but they also don't want to leave out all those players of base systems.

You might just find it being much longer load times or more creative ways to hide the loading. Also it's probably sub 1080 at 30, along with the various other concessions.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium

Probably you're right I'm part of the problem :P
Always prefer 60fps myself but you know, when doing that on consoles sometimes graphics take a hit and its just noticeable.

I think this time gameplay will be more impressive than cutscene at least at the beginning of the gen. With SSD and much better streaming capacity, this will give a huge difference.

Yeah I think a gameplay demo in the open world running at these graphical and framerate settings would have a bigger impression for me personally.
But again, the game does look impressive visually!

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Antagonising other members
Ugggh stop with this victim stuff.

You too. There are nunerous times Sony has been bashed.

There's no victim here. I dont care about microsofts console. Never had, never will.

Completely neutral party, this forum is like sony and intendo's personal portal run by the CEO's relatives when it comes to their respective exclusives at least.

God of Wars single i dont know what camera shot something. That frankly non aspect was pummeled to hell and back by its suporters as if it was this transcendent aspect. Someone even said how bad all games looked in his eyes because of that.

Days Gone, people were clinging to every minuscule aspect they could find in order to inflate the game. The only sale metric we got for the game was physical. In UK only. Which amounted to something like 100k copies or something like that. Forget about it, people were writing articles how the game is selling gangbusters, how the public opinion didnt care about the midlling reviews and so on.

Resetera is of the opinion that steam user reviews are absolut junk and should be wiped from existence. But in the case of Days Gone, the newest sony exclusive, people, in their attempt to make reality other than it is, made a 180 and all of a sudden metacritics user reviews of all things were the most relevant thing ever :)))) See, people said. User reviews on mt are at 80. The audience clearly worships sony's newest exclusive.

Without having interest in xbox, this forum worships the ground sony walks on. Maybe its not aparrent to you, but for me, as a mostly outside bystander this is the most obvious fact on this forum

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no victim here. I dont care about microsofts console. Never had, never will.

Completely neutral party, this forum is like sony and intendo's personal portal run by the CEO's relatives when it comes to their respective exclusives at least.

God of Wars single i dont know what camera shot something. That frankly non aspect was pummeled to hell and back by its suporters as if it was this transcendent aspect. Someone even said how bad all games looked in his eyes because of that.

Days Gone, people were clinging to every minuscule aspect they could find in order to inflate the game. The only sale metric we got for the game was physical. In UK only. Which amounted to something like 100k copies or something like that. Forget about it, people were writing articles how the game is selling gangbusters, how the public opinion didnt care about the midlling reviews and so on.

Resetera is of the opinion that steam user reviews are absolut junk and should be wiped from existence. But in the case of Days Gone, the newest sony exclusive, people, in their attempt to make reality other than it is, made a 180 and all of a sudden metacritics user reviews of all things were the most relevant thing ever :)))) See, people said. User reviews on mt are at 80. The audience clearly worships sony's newest exclusive.

Without having interest in xbox, this forum worships the ground sony walks on. Maybe its not aparrent to you, but for me, as a mostly outside bystander this is the most obvious fact on this forum

Please stop with this nonsense. This is type of stuff will derail the thread.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Halo Infinite is clearly not going for a hyper realistic look. You can argue that Locke from Halo 5's cutscenes looked more 'realistic' than the dude in the Infinite trailer.

Its something that Bungie did and do super well. I think its a much better fit for Halo.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

God of Wars singleshot camera is something marvelous and it makes the game feel special.

Days gone was bashed here constantly. Look at new Pokemon threads and how people complain there.

Are there more Sony fans than Microsoft? Absolutely. But Sony gets shitted here too and as do Nintendo

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
But if we go by this thread DF analysis does not matter, Halo Infinite looks bad or not as good as current gen. 😂

That is selection bias. There are mixed opinions. Most agree it looks good, whether it looks what people expect from next gen is mostly the matter of debate. For me, frame rate and resolution are an excellent target and with these visuals would be pretty next gen. The visuals alone though? Looks like a good looking current gen game, although there are some that impress me more.

Phantom88: just like everyone else you are absolutely not neutral...where a person cares to focus shows what their concerns are...you illustrate that as well. I mean I prefer the PS4 and Switch to Xbone since I own those consoles...but I am open to good graphics from all sides and feel I am able to analyse that fairly dispassionately, although not without some bias. Pretty much all the posts on here you can say have some degree of bias, with a few being so skewed as to be a real issue in their judgement.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As the DF video shows, the attention to detail and the higher polygon assets for seemingly minor things is a standout point. Textures are also of really higher quality and added to the 4k resolution, things will be looked at very closely for a long time.

Still, I want to see this all played in an open world. Show off the minute details and then burst into an open world. That's how you wow people. Granular detail is great for DF and starting 200% zoom at pixels buts its the overall scale and scope of the game that needs to be shown off. Maybe at X019? I can dream.

Dec 31, 2017
All what you have said is pandering towards nostalgia which is great and all but to TRULY reach Halo 1-3 levels of hype, the game is going to have to show a lot more. I really doubt it will do that. Remember, Halo 2 single-handedly proved to the world that consoles can do Online mp FPS well. Halo 3 took it to another level with 4 player online coop, forge mode, game recording etc.

With Halo 6, many of us are just praying that the story resolves all the shortcomings of the last game and really delivers a campaign worthy of the Halo name. That's no mean feat considering how lackluster and disjointed Halo 5's story was. With regard to MP, whilst people enjoy Halo 5's MP, what are studio going to do to really get people excited? More of the same isn't enough really unless they really and I mean really refine the gameplay. Halo 6 has a tough task ahead of itself, mostly because of the really high expectations us fans have for the series.

But yes, this being a launch title- oh man its going create some waves one way or another. I hope 343 smashes it out of the park.
Coalition is doing great reinventing Gears MP and adding new things to it. We still haven't gotten the whole Reveal for Infinite so we can't really say for sure now. I think being part of a new console launch though is really going to help with hype levels. Halo is MS' biggest IP, coupled with a new console, it has a chance of doing great. Wouldn't be surprised that while launch sales might not beat previous entries, it still has a shot because of the added PC players and the fact that it will be on game pass means it'll have an insane user base at launch.

This game'll be hyped on Twitch by Ninja and PC players are hungry for some Halo as well!

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
That is selection bias. There are mixed opinions. Most agree it looks good, whether it looks what people expect from next gen is mostly the matter of debate. For me, frame rate and resolution are an excellent target and with these visuals would be pretty next gen. The visuals alone though? Looks like a good looking current gen game, although there are some that impress me more.

Phantom88: just like everyone else you are absolutely not neutral...where a person cares to focus shows what their concerns are...you illustrate that as well. I mean I prefer the PS4 and Switch to Xbone since I own those consoles...but I am open to good graphics from all sides and feel I am able to analyse that fairly dispassionately, although not without some bias. Pretty much all the posts on here you can say have some degree of bias, with a few being so skewed as to be a real issue in their judgement.
There are many things in that in game trailer that looks above current gen.

To say it looks current gen is silly especially running at 60fps.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these in game running at 4K/60FPS with more than a years development time left?

I think it's telling that you feel the need to qualify the comparison with 4k/60fps and remaining development time.

At the end of the day, the current Halo footage we have is limited and comparisons will be made. I expect it will look alot better when we see the full reveal. But making assumptions about dev time etc are hardly helping.