• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the scale and not hiding a ton of shit behind smoke and mirrors the Halo series has always been pretty dam great. In terms of rendering a huge playable environment and their whole sandbox. This seems to be a generational leap in that sense.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
DF is impressed. Nice. But I'm just glad 343i finally decided to build their own engine. The demo they showed looked stunning. Amazing lighting and detail... slipspace doing work.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What if they can render the entire Halo as a seamless open world? That's the impression I got from this.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I love the art direction so freakin' much.

If 343 can deliver open-world, or even huge open settings with a lot of entities at 4K/60fps and hold that level of fidelity on X1X it will be amazing. Perhaps this is a representation of what it will look like on Scarlet at full 4K/60fps, where the Xbox One S and X versions will be lower fidelity, but hopefully still 60fps.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Why is that dumb if they consider the PC one of their consoles?

Better question, how many people do you know that own Xbox's but also own gaming PC's capable of playing these games, because I'm pretty sure it's not that high of a number.
I have never seen someone with a gaming pc in real life lol

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
For new page :)

s5qujGe.png

gIj759a.png

S64IRFi.png

fKzTfpk.png

zfOFYnM.png

xEyZ7fJ.png

QnfVjlA.png

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love the art direction so freakin' much.

If 343 can deliver open-world, or even huge open settings with a lot of entities at 4K/60fps and hold that level of fidelity on X1X it will be amazing. Perhaps this is a representation of what it will look like on Scarlet at full 4K/60fps, where the Xbox One S and X versions will be lower fidelity, but hopefully still 60fps.

I don't think they will ever make a Halo game that isn't 60 FPS again.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah unless they keep doing the dumb "you can also play it on PC" thing.

That's not dumb at all. That's Microsoft's dream scenario. Everything I've seen from them shows them moving towards the Xbox as a platform that bridges between PC and their dedicated hardware. The money to be made is in software sales. Apple knows this, Valve knows this, Google knows this. The only reason companies make hardware is to get you their store front and center.

The next "Xbox" will be the launch of their platform that lets you play Xbox games on their cheaper hardware as well as a container for your PC that also plays those games.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Looking at FH4 and Gears 5 as well, Devs are going so much further than before developing on the X

Also FH4 60fps on the X :)

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.

You need to go to the opticians.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I hadn't really considered the rhino herd in terms of representing tons of AI on screen. Infiltrating a large covenant outpost with tons of Halo-quality AI is the stuff of dreams. One of the best looking things at the show for sure, and it's 60 fps. Hopefully the end result holds up well to this.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing to me, the title of the video is sensationalist. But the bottom line is this is the most impressive the Halo series has ever looked by a good margin.

Oct 27, 2017
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.

What? I played horizon on a 4k tv with hdr on a PS4 pro and halo infinite looks way beyond anything I saw in horizon...

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Both the Warthog driving and rhinos moving looked a little newer in their addition to the engine than everything else. Hopefully they're able to clean up that type of distant movement and LOD to make it look more natural over the next couple years.

This may be a Halo 5 engine leftover, because animations in the distance ran on a lower framerate in Halo 5 and this looks to be the case here. I guess this is something that will scale depending on which hardware you run it on.

Edit: To be more precise. A leftover of the tech that they used to achieve 60FPS at all times for Halo 5.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
If this game is 2020 which I think it is, it has to be cross gen and a launch title on the next Xbox. It makes too much sense to do it.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DF is impressed. Nice. But I'm just glad 343i finally decided to build their own engine. The demo they showed looked stunning. Amazing lighting and detail... slipspace doing work.
Indeed. I always insentive in-house engines. I like UE4, but I start to be bored by every company using the same engine in every game.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The environments look great, and I don't see the X running this at 4K60, especially if it's open world. The X is more powerful than the Pro, but not like twice as powerful.

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
I don't think you reference Marty's score without at least getting him involved in some way. Beyond graphics and tech, I just want Marty back. Pleaseeee

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
What? I played horizon on a 4k tv with hdr on a PS4 pro and halo infinite looks way beyond anything I saw in horizon...

I am not quite seeing it. I have watched the 4k footage and it looks great, but it doesn't look beyond other great looking engines. It looks like it has caught up if anything. For instance, the environments look robust as expected, but the creatures are not particularly detailed as evident in the close ups. Just to be clear, I think this engine is comparable, and what was shown looks great.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't really considered the rhino herd in terms of representing tons of AI on screen. Infiltrating a large covenant outpost with tons of Halo-quality AI is the stuff of dreams. One of the best looking things at the show for sure, and it's 60 fps. Hopefully the end result holds up well to this.

Yeah, that just hit me too, also don't forget the Sentinels flying towards the lake.

Given that the text in the Halo reveal said "engine demonstration", what they showed was not very impressive and I'm not terribly sure why they bothered to do that. They could've just as easily released a cinematic built in the old engine - after all, the H3 art style was built in the Blam engine. The point of the video was an announcement teaser, there wasn't any real reason to use it as a tech demo if the technology isn't ready yet.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
It also seems there's dynamic TOD at the end of the trailer it goes night time to day. This game is sounding like a AAAA hit

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, if this is 2020... They might launch Xbox Two (or whatever it's called) with a brand new Halo game. There's your killer launch title.
Is it though? Feels like the halo hype has pretty much faded away. I know this one is PC as well for the first time in forever but feels like they lost the wind in their sails with halo imo