• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note, since I got several messages about it:

Everything you see in the video is work in progress.
Halo SlipsSpace runs on vanilla Xbox One. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.
Expect traditional improvements for X and high spec PCs.
Everything is in there for a specific reason (even the way the Hog moves)
Everything is work in progress

Awesome, guess my og XB1 still has some life left in it.

Also was wondering about the hog's movement. Glad to know there's a reasoning behind it.

Loving how amazing it all looks so far. Can't wait to see the end result!

m23

Mortis

Oct 25, 2017

Halo SlipsSpace runs on vanilla Xbox One. Obviously most of our footage was captured from in-development code and art, and from a dev machine. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.

How much of this new engine is Legacy code? Are there steps being taken to ensure it still feels like Halo?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Halo always has a large amount of hype for pre-release stuff, but the population numbers of the last two games don't lie, and franchise fatigue is a real thing when you're six mainline games in.

Yeah, but a great game can overcome that fatigue. God of War is TEN games in and the most recent one has done just fine. It looks like this new Halo is going to change things up and it may get the same great result.

Oct 28, 2017

Halo SlipsSpace runs on vanilla Xbox One. Obviously most of our footage was captured from in-development code and art, and from a dev machine. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.

lol, just send some notes to all the freaking mad press about Halo Infinite 2020 on next xbox...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A guess that comes from a orbital eccentric comet: you can play halo theway you want, graphics look the same, but you choose the gameplay and physicalisation balance from all the various halos. :P
Just to clarify, are you saying that the demo we saw was running on a vanilla X1 or that the engine is capable of running on a vanilla X1?
Development Machine = (usually) some PC approximating the target spec. A flat 4K here makes me think PC tbh.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Halo's SlipSpace engine runs on vanilla Xbox One. Obviously most of our footage was captured from in-development code and art, and from a dev machine. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.
Just to clarify, are you saying that the demo we saw was running on a vanilla X1 dev machine or that the engine is capable of running on a vanilla X1?

Oct 28, 2017
he meant that it's an engine built to run on current gen xboxes, Xbox One, S and X.
and not some sort of future gen shenanigan...

probably... but to me seems pretty clear.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Halo's SlipSpace engine runs on vanilla Xbox One. Obviously most of our footage was captured from in-development code and art, and from a dev machine. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.

Frankie and everyone at 343i

THANK YOU

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just to clarify, are you saying that the demo we saw was running on a vanilla X1 dev machine or that the engine is capable of running on a vanilla X1?

The engine CAN run on an Xbox One S.

This is to drop the thought that this engine is for X and Next only.
The lower tier Xboxes will be able to run it.

The Demo was on a dev machine, im sure they have mutliple tiers of Dev machines.
Base, S, X, Next, Fuck....so all we know is that it was a Dev machine likely mimicking an Xbox One X.

Jun 7, 2018
Yes.

BTW I have edited my original post about ten times because apparently I am stupid today. Can't spell, type or string coherent thoughts together.

I'm aware that you are not a software wizard, but I have a question / concern about the Shadows on the LOD meshes in the background. Can anything be done about that? The weird shading makes the LOD meshes stick out like a sore thumb. I'm no software wizard but I'm sure your wizards can wizard better than I can wizard. If not, I'm sure it wont be as noticeable while playing.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The engine CAN run on an Xbox One S.

This is to drop the thought that this engine is for X and Next only.
The lower tier Xboxes will be able to run it.

The Demo was on a dev machine, im sure they have mutliple tiers of Dev machines.
Base, S, X, Next, Fuck....so all we know is that it was a Dev machine likely mimicking an Xbox One X.

Seeing how easy and amazing the X dev kits are won't be surprised it being used. PG are using the X as their lead dev kit and it shows :)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware that you are not a software wizard, but I have a question / concern about the Shadows on the LOD meshes in the background. Can anything be done about that? The weird shading makes the LOD meshes stick out like a sore thumb. I'm no software wizard but I'm sure your wizards can wizard better than I can wizard. If not, I'm sure it wont be as noticeable while playing.

Our wizards are hard at work. Definitely work in progress but it's really nice to be able to build bespoke systems and tools and techniques for those architectures and more importantly, Halo itself.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
...that last of us two has more than double the views in half the time... if your comparing the video on the Xbox channel to the video on the PlayStation channel

The top Halo Infinite video has over 2mil views. I'm sure people are just typing in Halo and viewing the first one to see. Whether it's on the Xbox channel or not doesn't matter. It's the views that show how many are watching the new trailer

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Cool video by DF. I understand the focus on graphics, but i really hope that they push way more physics this time around. Halo 4 and 5 are very, very static games.
I would like to see more objects that tumble and fall again, walls that fall apart when shot at and so forth. Interactivity with the gameworld is as important as graphics for me, "simulation" is a great thing.
Maybe even more important when i think about it. I am aware that the CPU´s in current gen consoles are very limiting though :-/

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you're trying to sell consoles, yeah.

Obviously it's great for the consumer, but to me its still a pretty baffling business decision.

It seems pretty reasonable to assume that there are more people that will casually buy a $60 game on PC hardware they already own than will buy a $3-500 console just to play that game.

Yeah, but a great game can overcome that fatigue. God of War is TEN games in and the most recent one has done just fine. It looks like this new Halo is going to change things up and it may get the same great result.

Anything can happen, certainly, but let's not forget that Halo 2 and Halo 3 (early on) absolutely ran console online multiplayer. That's a level of clout that Halo might never get back to. It's also, I would say, an era that 343 doesn't seem to be interested in emulating, with what they've chosen to add and subtract from the franchise.

Can probably count on Forge being awesome. #BasedTomFrench

Oct 29, 2017
If you're trying to sell consoles, yeah.

Obviously it's great for the consumer, but to me its still a pretty baffling business decision.

Selling less consoles but more games seems like it can work out. I don't known personally but seems like it can be a decent business decision if they still making money

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.

What is even Horizon and GoW near this engine. Don't do drugs, man.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm probably just salty because I have a gaming PC and bought an Xbox One specifically for the exclusives. Burnt hard.

Like yeah they could get away with implementing it mid-gen, but if they continue it for their next cycle...how many will decide to go for just PC?

Its not exactly hard to sell consoles these days...

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018

Can you tell the specs of the dev machine?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Our wizards are hard at work. Definitely work in progress but it's really nice to be able to build bespoke systems and tools and techniques for those architectures and more importantly, Halo itself.

Thank for the answers.

Now, online will it bring it back to Halo 2/3 style of gameplay?

Really excited for this one, seems like a reboot to the series ala God of War.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can you clarify your statement yesterday regarding the "two" incorrect rumors? More specifically, the rumor that campaign and multiplayer are being released separately? https://www.resetera.com/threads/br...ive-at-the-earliest-in-2019-mp-in-2020.48268/

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.
LMAO xD

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit!

Halo 4 did things I didn't think the 360 was capable of, looks like this will be a repeat performance.

Oct 27, 2017

When tho Stinkles??? I want more halo!