• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If they do any follow-up demonstrations anytime soon, I'd love to see a sort of "best case/worst case" comparison, where they show a scene running on vanilla XB1, XB1X, and then higher-end PC.

What they have here looks impressive already, though it's obviously a best-possible-light sort of thing.

chip5tjap.gif

pancnkuc.gif

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
The Legendary ending
after Corrupted Cortana is pulled away with that slipspace jump (without Blue Team's cryptum) cuts to a new halo ring after the credits, which then lights up as though it were being accessed.
While I did know that...

A couple things indicating that the ring in this trailer is Installation 07. One small thing is the deer which apparently was specifically described as being one of the species contained on this installation in a book. Another larger clue is morse code in the trailer which translates to "SOS ZETA HALO GRD". Zeta Halo being Installation 07.

Lots of stuff happened on this ring, which is why I'm so interested.
… I wasn't aware of this. Damn this sounds great! Wasn't Installation 07 significant in the Forerunner books by Greg Bear? Or am I misremembering things? I found these books absolutely fascinating (and they made the Didact one of my favorite Halo characters) and I'd love for them to explore that section of the universe more thoroughly.

I'm so optimistic about this game (and Xbox in general). Love it!

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
It does looks amazing! Can't wait to find out more.

People downplaying this need new glasses or to start wearing some.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Engine Trailer

People complain the animations look weird so it isn't a generational leap

giphy.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.
Hmm do those games run at 60fps? OF course it looks better than those games because technology has advanced, but even if it was close it runs twice as fast as those games. Hmmm

m23

Oct 25, 2017
While I did know that...

… I wasn't aware of this. Damn this sounds great! Wasn't Installation 07 significant in the Forerunner books by Greg Bear? Or am I misremembering things? I found these books absolutely fascinating (and they made the Didact one of my favorite Halo characters) and I'd love for them to explore that section of the universe more thoroughly.

I'm so optimistic about this game (and Xbox in general). Love it!

Yeah 07 is significant in the Greg Bear books.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
If memory serves, PC version of H5 (no plans currently beyond the free MP and Forge product) and no first generation Xbox One support - we are of course supporting OG Xbox one.
So I guess there's some merit to the split release rumors (campaign first (probably with coop and maybe PvE stuff, MP later)?

I also understand if you can't answer this right now. I'll be there day one for it (or them lol) either way.

Yeah 07 is significant in the Greg Bear books.
Oh man I really need to brush up on that. This makes me reeeeallly excited.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I'm probably just salty because I have a gaming PC and bought an Xbox One specifically for the exclusives. Burnt hard.

Like yeah they could get away with implementing it mid-gen, but if they continue it for their next cycle...how many will decide to go for just PC?

I'll personally never game strictly on PC. I find consoles to be a much more enjoyable experience. I work on a pc, I like spending time away from it. I think they'll always be popular with kids and parents buying gifts too. It's just much easier to pick up a console. Also, my library. Microsoft has made it clear that my purchases are coming to the next console with me. I'll have over 300 games ready to play day one. At this point, I'll keep buying the consoles to access my library of games.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
If memory serves, PC version of H5 (no plans currently beyond the free MP and Forge product) and no first generation Xbox One support - we are of course supporting OG Xbox one.
Oh shit. So this IS launching in 2 parts. Don't do this. PLEASE. Everyone assumed the other thing wrong from yesterday was that Infinite was launching with Single Player in 2019 and MP in 2020. Your silence on this issue scares me

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can you tell the specs of the dev machine?

Faster than X CPU/GPU
24GB of ram
Probably unlimited storage thanks to networking.

Not really worth mentioning, because the Dev machines can be scaled to almost any configuration from OG Xbox One to Xbox One S to Xbox One X to even beyond X levels.

If you are asking what specific settings this demo was running at i.e CPU, CPU speeds, GPU speeds etc etc.

WHY?

Assume it was close to what the Xbox One X is now....alittle overhead needed for inevitable optimizations, given time they will optimize it so that the engine and game run on S and X probably with a bunch of different settings for a streamlined process.

Now that they have had the Dev kits for a while and are likely looking at a PC version as well they can perfectly balance the game to run across the Xbox family.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have showcased what is possible with this new engine. Open world, lighting, shadows, water effects, draw distance. If they can do all this in 4K (even dynamic) and at 60fps that's quite amazing. The Xbox One X is also showing it's Brute Force with Forza Horizon 4 which will be playable at 60fps.

dscaggs21

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah I'd much rather wait until 2020 for a full release rather than staggered in 2019/2020. Not sure if that's what's going to happen but I hope not.

dscaggs21

Jun 11, 2018

I think you misunderstood him. Or maybe not. He is referring to the rumor that Halo Infinite will launch with Single Player in 2019 and the Multiplayer won't join it until 2020.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This is not something i really thought about at least for actual next gen games. 343 has already stated SlipSpeed is an engine designed for Xbox One
Yikes I just can't imagine what it will look like on the original Xbox One. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see streaming for games that only come to next gen.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it looks as impressive until to say it's a generational leap

but it's open world, with the option to split screen. That's fantastic.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
lol it's not a generational leap. not even close. doesnt even look as good as horizon or god of war.

BUT the fact that they have completely reveamped the level design to be an open world and add all kinds of animals,.... so many animals... is a great new direction for the franchise and what i have been begging MS to do for years now. Do a full reboot of Gears now.

I think one needs to not only understand the context of why he says "generational leap", but also one needs to understand all the tech he's talking about in the video. You can't just "LOOK" at a game and understand everything that is going on. Lighting, materials, scene density, particles, etc...has to be taken into account. A game may have better "art direction" or "look" better to you based on some form of visual preference, but it doesn't mean that the tech and what is happening in each scene/frame is on par with or pulling off the same tech engine wise.

So if he is only referencing any leap in comparison to the Halo series, then I'm sure he's correct. Even if he's comparing it to other games currently on the market, the tech side and the things the engine is pulling off can also be correct as a "leap" or something needing higher-end hardware to be rendered at that level.

A lot of people base their thoughts on simply looking/glancing at a scene...but don't take the time to understand everything that is going on in it visually.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Richard's arm movement freaks me out. Why is he doing it!!!!

It looks nice but I'm not seeing some leap here.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. So this IS launching in 2 parts. Don't do this. PLEASE. Everyone assumed the other thing wrong from yesterday was that Infinite was launching with Single Player in 2019 and MP in 2020. Your silence on this issue scares me

What if it was two parts that launched at the same time?

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, if this is next gen Halo preview than TOLU2, GhostOfTs, Death Stranding already ahead of it as of now.

onlySpicySalsa

Avenger
May 29, 2018
scares you? why? its just a game dude and from the looks of it its going to be great

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the demo its running on a dev machine? I don't get it. They already preparing for next gen or something?

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
scares you? why? its just a game dude and from the looks of it its going to be great
I like my campaigns and multiplayer equally. Play the campaign for a few hours then fuck some people up in MP. I would hate for them not to launch at the same time like every other Halo game. You are right! It IS going to be great and it's my most hyped game. I guess I would rather have the game delayed if they are behind on either the MP or campaign then launch at 2 different times

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
What tech in the engines for each of those games are you comparing to come to that conclusion?

I am comparing the gameplay from those games to the video they showed for Halo. Not even comparing cut scenes which probably will be even better.

I am sure things will improve for Halo as time comes closer for it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this a few times in 4K on a 75 inch TV and it looks ridiculous. Not perfect obviously, nothing is, but if they can turn out a Halo looking like that I'd be really impressed. Curious to see what the XB1S version would look like because it honestly almost looks too good for XB1X.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this video got me really hyped. Not sure I fully appreciated how much tech was loaded into that trailer. Impressive that they are going to fit this onto an OG Xbox One, and presumably at 60fps as well. Have to imagine they are gearing it for a cross-gen release, though.

This trailer did a great job of resetting Halo and hinting towards a big and ambitious future. I'm incredibly excited for what it could be.

Last edited:

Madness

Oct 25, 2017

As someone with now 3, 4K televisions that support HDR. Is this something 343 is going to embrace? And I don't mean the generic HDR everyone is attempting to do, I mean as someone with a sweet home theatre room and ever improving television tech, you know what it is like when we get soemthing lacklustre. Incorporating HDR into the narrative and art design ground up means you could make something that would blow SDR away. I would rather have this Slipspace engine give me Native 4K with a 25fps stable framerate (don't crucify me 60fps lovers) if it meant industry leading visual fidelity with HDR miles above what others have done.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

So there is merit to the delayed multiplayer release rumor then?
e

I don't think Stinkles is answering the rumors about split multiplayer and single player realease dates for Halo Infinite you guys are thinking of. He is saying:

1. The rumor Halo Infinite isn't coming out on current Xbox Ones is not true. It *IS* coming out on Xbox One OG, Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

2. The rumor a PC version of Halo 5 is coming is NOT TRUE as far as he knows.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
e

I don't think Stinkles is answering the rumors about split multiplayer and single player realease dates for Halo Infinite you guys are thinking of. He is saying:

1. The rumor Halo Infinite isn't coming out on current Xbox Ones is not true. It *IS* coming out on Xbox One OG, Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

2. The rumor a PC version of Halo 5 is coming is NOT TRUE as far as he knows.

I think they get that. He didn't mention the split because he is not debunking the rumour. Given that he debunked the other rumours, it may mean there is some truth in there being an MP/SP split.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was a very short non gameplay video.

Im not gonna pass judgement on something thats meaningless to the final product.