• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Honestly the animal animations looked pretty rough. The smoke effects were bad. Was not impressed by the engine at all.

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
Is their anyway to tell if they're just speeding up the video to simulate 60fps? I remember Bungie using a similar technique for Reach's announcement trailer. Last Guardian being another example. I guess it's too far away for anyone to know though, unless microsoft has confirmed 60fps?

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? Feels like the halo hype has pretty much faded away. I know this one is PC as well for the first time in forever but feels like they lost the wind in their sails with halo imo

What? The trailer alone has almost as many views as the Last of us 2 trailer, and PS4 has over double the owners of XB1 lol..

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It gave me Decima Engine vibes (in the Death Stranding form).

That said, why are they back on a ringworld? Does that make sense story wise? I thought Halo was done with that arc.

I can't remember shit from 5.

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i am sorry but, nothing shown here even remotely made me this think this is "a generation leap"

m23

Oct 25, 2017
It gave me Decima Engine vibes (in the Death Stranding form).

That said, why are they back on a ringworld? Does that make sense story wise? I thought Halo was done with that arc.

I can't remember shit from 5.

At the end of Halo 5, I believe Cortana took control of a Halo ring. Based on some clues however, the ring in this trailer is another Halo ring. Has me very curious.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The Rhino stampede looked way rougher to me.

The motion on the warthog looked a bit dodgy to me, but I wouldn't have criticized that wider shot on the rhinos. That looked like actual animation rigging, and not the equivalent of a pre-render.

stampedeqsjcn.gif

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
Halo always has a large amount of hype for pre-release stuff, but the population numbers of the last two games don't lie, and franchise fatigue is a real thing when you're six mainline games in.

I haven't been hyped for a Halo game this generation until now. I'm sure i'm not the only one. I skipped Halo 5, but I'm there day one for Infinity.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
The motion on the warthog looked a bit dodgy to me, but I wouldn't have criticized that wider shot on the rhinos. That looked like actual animation rigging, and not the equivalent of a pre-render.

stampedeqsjcn.gif

They are likely doing some optimizations across all the models such that they can have more on screen at once. I would definitely sacrifice a bit of fidelity in animation and model detail for the scales they are going for. Been wanting this sort of thing in Halo for a while now. Looks like we are finally going to get it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
They are likely doing some optimizations across all the models such that they can have more on screen at once. I would definitely sacrifice a bit of fidelity in animation and model detail for the scales they are going for. Been wanting this sort of thing in Halo for a while now. Looks like we are finally going to get it.

That many overlapping alpha layers taking on light properties got my attention. *If* the engine can push that out without it compromising performance, I'm impressed.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
The game is going to be a huge open world with big animals and stuff probably, if you take that in mind, it looks very good.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
If you're trying to sell consoles, yeah.

Obviously it's great for the consumer, but to me its still a pretty baffling business decision.

I would love first-hand accounts from people who actively thought, "Well, I was going to buy an Xbox, but its games are also on PC? Nevermind."

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Yeah they showed some great PC footage of these so far.

And we dont know if its locked 60fps for Horizon 4... i doubt it.

FH4 demos kiosks are on the X. As with all first party titles X versions are ultra settings if you haven't noticed so what you see here is what you get on the X

Glad to see your concern post though

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Is it though? Feels like the halo hype has pretty much faded away. I know this one is PC as well for the first time in forever but feels like they lost the wind in their sails with halo imo
Halo 5 sold a ridiculous amount of copies. Just because GAF and Era hate everything Halo that doesn't mean the rest of the population does. It has been my most beloved franchise since 2001 and that will probably never change.

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

stampedeqsjcn.gif

Just noticed how their bodies and muscles move and change according to the terrain they're running over. Notice the dips in the shoulders and head when the ones in the foreground run into the dips in the ground. Super impressive.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what are these clues?
Also, have people identified the thing underwater yet?

A couple things indicating that the ring in this trailer is Installation 07. One small thing is the deer which apparently was specifically described as being one of the species contained on this installation in a book. Another larger clue is morse code in the trailer which translates to "SOS ZETA HALO GRD". Zeta Halo being Installation 07.

Lots of stuff happened on this ring, which is why I'm so interested.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple things indicating that the ring in this trailer is Installation 07. One small thing is the deer which apparently was specifically described as being one of the species contained on this installation in a book. Another larger clue is morse code in the trailer which translates to "SOS ZETA HALO GRD". Zeta Halo being Installation 07.

Lots of stuff happened on this ring, which is why I'm so interested.

Well, damn... Colour me intrigued™.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

stampedeqsjcn.gif

It's really just a minor thing that I noticed, so nothing to worry about really.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
My guess is 343i needed a better engine that can scale from low to high end hardware for PC and cross gen. Halo 5 engine was 60fps across all modes and needed a split screen mode patched in and PC compatibility for the next major title.

I really like the direction Halo is headed, I love the campaigns probably a little more than the large scale multiplayer modes.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note, since I got several messages about it:

Everything you see in the video is work in progress.
Halo's SlipSpace engine runs on vanilla Xbox One. Obviously most of our footage was captured from in-development code and art, and from a dev machine. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.
Expect traditional improvements for X and high spec PCs.
Everything is in there for a specific reason (even the way the Hog moves)
Everything is work in progress

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Halo SlipsSpace runs on vanilla Xbox One. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.

Whaaaaaat

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Halo SlipsSpace runs on vanilla Xbox One. It's a new engine with new and significant improvements and optimizations.
On Vanilla Xbox One? Thats new. Good to see your focus on the primary machine.