• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Quantic Dream's PC debut is finally available - though only for patrons of the Epic Store. Join Alex Battaglia for a deep dive look into Heavy Rain on PC, covering off its enhancements over PS4 and its very GPU-friendly performance.

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 to PS4:
1080p, higher quality textures, shadow and post process effects like AO.

PS4 to PC:
Initially, internally rendering at 1440p even if you select 2160p.
After adjusting resolution again, it fixed. So, if you feel game is running lower than selected resolution, change and restart.
Higher than 60 FPS not natively supported, requires config file changes.
Alex's recommendation: Do not tempt fate and keep it at 60 FPS to avoid any potential bugs.
Some animations still run at 30 FPS even if game is at 60
Strange post processing behaviors observed on higher than 1080p resolutions (detailed in video)
PS4 is equivalent to PC's highest setting with different AO and basic post process AA (and 30 FPS).
Random frame drops lower than 60 when multiple 'thought process' text bubbles pop up on Ryzen CPUs.

Other PC refinements like higher resolution, MSAA and Post Process AA options, HBAO/HDAO etc present.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad that I now have the option to have this. I really hate exclusives. #oneconsolefuturestillbelieve

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the Ryzen issues. Is it making using of Intel specific instruction sets?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
And that's good no? Getting exposed to Cage art and writing is unhealthy.
giphy.gif

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
No. I will buy the PS5 though.

Not really. The one console future wasn't about Sony or Microsoft winning. It was about not having to buy all three consoles to play all the games.

The truth is, if every game was available on every platform, I will choose PC every single time.
i think irony is from you saying you hate exclusives when this game is a paid exclusive to egs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Glad that I now have the option to have this. I really hate exclusives. #oneconsolefuturestillbelieve
That is very narrow thinking. With only one console there won't be a need for console sellers first party titles and instead all games will be targeted at making as high profit as possible, meaning micro transactions, game as a service focus, etc. you won't see the games ND are making today at that kind of world.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
No. I will buy the PS5 though.

Not really. The one console future wasn't about Sony or Microsoft winning. It was about not having to buy all three consoles to play all the games.

The truth is, if every game was available on every platform, I will choose PC every single time.

I was referring to the fact that Heavy Rain is EGS exclusive on PC.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Just buy a playstation then you if you wanted to play something that was exclusive
I did this recently after going without a console since the PS2. Been methodically playing through all the Sony exclusives I have missed since then. The horror... Suffice to say I have been bored out of my mind so far. I was led to believe I was missing out on the holy grails of gaming. Only games I'd save from the pyre are Dreams and Tetris Effect. For now. Gotta open a thread at some point about it.

Right now and based on my experience, I'd say it's preferable to just wait til whichever Sony exclusives get ported than to get a console just for those. But if what you are getting at the end of that is stuff with the quality of David Cage's games, I think fellow PC users who have gone this far without growing interested in Sony exclusives are pretty safe writing them all off entirely. To each their own. I still appreciate these ceasing to be platform exclusive anyway.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did this recently after going without a console since the PS2. Been methodically playing through all the Sony exclusives I have missed since then. The horror... Suffice to say I have been bored out of my mind so far. I was led to believe I was missing out on the holy grails of gaming. Only games I'd save from the pyre are Dreams and Tetris Effect. For now. Gotta open a thread at some point about it.

Right now and based on my experience, I'd say it's preferable to just wait til whichever Sony exclusives get ported than to get a console just for those. But if what you are getting at the end of that is stuff with the quality of David Cage's games, I think fellow PC users who have gone this far without growing interested in Sony exclusives are pretty safe writing them all off entirely. To each their own. I still appreciate these ceasing to be platform exclusive anyway.
What have you played

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, some of the posts in here, almost as icky as DF's insistence of posing questions in their video titles.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
What have you played
The Uncharted HD collection (after so many hours the less said the better), Spiderman 2018 (I appreciate the characterization in this one at least...), Bloodborne (looked interesting but ugh that performance) and Until Dawn (hey for a Telltale-type it wasn't terrible and the acting was good)... I'm sure I'm forgetting sth. I got The Last of Us and God of War ready to go, but I don't think linear cinematic adventures are for me. And most Sony exclusives seem to be honestly just like that. I will eventually try Days Gone and Horizon but I suspect these are not much more than your friendly conventional open world games a la Spiderman. At this point I just dread starting another one of these. Just wish Sony took more risks and tried new stuff. And respected the player's intelligence a teensy bit more. I remember the exclusives in the PS1 and PS2 eras being varied and absolutely great. I loved the RE2 and Crash remakes.

I really do like Dreams. Tetris Effect is cool tetris.

EDIT: Also I'm excited about Shadow of the Collosus and The Last Guardian, so there's that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Uncharted HD collection (after so many hours the less said the better), Spiderman 2018 (I appreciate the characterization in this one at least...), Bloodborne (looked interesting but ugh that performance) and Until Dawn (hey for a Telltale-type it wasn't terrible and the acting was good)... I'm sure I'm forgetting sth. I got The Last of Us and God of War ready to go, but I don't think linear cinematic adventures are for me. And most Sony exclusives seem to be honestly just like that. I will eventually try Days Gone and Horizon but I suspect these are not much more than your friendly conventional open world games a la Spiderman. At this point I just dread starting another one of these. Just wish Sony took more risks and tried new stuff. And respected the player's intelligence a teensy bit more. I remember the exclusives in the PS1 and PS2 eras being varied and absolutely great. I loved the RE2 and Crash remakes.

I really do like Dreams. Tetris Effect is cool tetris.

EDIT: Also I'm excited about Shadow of the Collosus and The Last Guardian, so there's that.
Yea they really don't have much variety, the last guardian was my favorite Sony exclusive of the PS4 generation, but I also enjoyed horizon and uncharted 4. Looking forward to last of us 2 and death stranding

Mostly on switch now days though really liking Nintendo game's recently

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
EGS is not mentioned in the video outside of a single sentence or two I think, they care more about the game, not the store.

Not to mention that half the time their comparisons don't even include the PC version when there is one available. They appear to be much more console focused.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS3 to PS4:
1080p, higher quality textures, shadow and post process effects like AO.

PS4 to PC:
Initially, internally rendering at 1440p even if you select 2160p.
After adjusting resolution again, it fixed. So, if you feel game is running lower than selected resolution, change and restart.
Higher than 60 FPS not natively supported, requires config file changes.
Alex's recommendation: Do not tempt fate and keep it at 60 FPS to avoid any potential bugs.
Some animations still run at 30 FPS even if game is at 60
Strange post processing behaviors observed on higher than 1080p resolutions (detailed in video)
PS4 is equivalent to PC's highest setting with different AO and basic post process AA (and 30 FPS).
Random frame drops lower than 60 when multiple 'thought process' text bubbles pop up on Ryzen CPUs.

Other PC refinements like higher resolution, MSAA and Post Process AA options, HBAO/HDAO etc present.

This looks like something that was really coded for PS3 in mind.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that half the time their comparisons don't even include the PC version when there is one available. They appear to be much more console focused.

That's not fair ..

For any high profile game, they have separate video featuring the PC version with console (Xbox X in most case) video the next Monday.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Dictator are you able to check how the bloom looks in PS3 version? Curious if it's something specific to this port and above 1080p resolutions, or if the problem was already present in PS3 to PS4 conversion but not as pronounced since the resolution bump wasn't as large.