• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The trilogy is complete as Hitman 3 release at the tail-end of one generation - and the start of another. Today we look at the PS5, Xbox Series S and X, the big revelation being the focus on 60 frames per second gameplay all round. Can they all achieve it? And what visual differences are there elsewhere between them, in textures and shadows? Tom and John check out all three.

• Native 4K/60fps on Series X. One of the cleanest games they've seen.
  • 1800p/60fps on PS5
  • 1080p/60fps on Series S.
  • Series X has Ultra Textures and High Shadows.
  • PS5 has Ultra Textures and Medium Shadows.
  • Series S has High Textures and Low Shadows.
  • Framerate is close to perfect on all platforms, with a few exceptions.
  • Load times are virtually identical on all next-gen platforms, with PS5 typically coming in about 1/2 a second faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
From what I saw in the video the big difference ends up being PS5 having 1800p/ medium shadows instead of 4K/high like X and a certain area being perfect 60 on PS5 but 50-60 on X due to lower resolution.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I'm disappointed to hear Series S is 1080p/60, but it looks great so, who am i to complain.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The drops in the Mendoza level were interesting, and I have to wonder if the PS5 not dropping there was due to the increased GPU clock speed? Stuff like that will probably be the most interesting thing over this generation, seeing which systems have minute advantages over certain areas and why.

Also the Series S version looks pretty good. I think this is the first Series S game that really shows the power of the box

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Also here's the article version of the video

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-hitman-3-has-a-4k-resolution-advantage-on-xbox-series-x

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Would that specific area dropping on Series X and not on PS5 not have anything to do with it running at a lower resolution?

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting results.
The PS5 powering through the blue flower field is nice to see.
I wonder if dynamic resolution can be implemented into a future update so the PS5 can hit 4k and Series S/X drops in that area can be cleaned up.

Higher res and Higher shadow quality of Series X is a bit surprising with how previous comparisons have gone. I can't wait to see how Hitman 1 and 2 maps run in the Hitman 3 engine when compared to the previous game running in backwards compatibility mode.

Good stuff from IO and DF.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Was just a matter of time before the Series X starts to show the extra firepower. I still the PS5 will win out in certain one-off edge-cases, but the vast majority of cases will turn out more or less like this.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Title of the video is a bit click-baity than their other comparison videos which didn't elude to a "winner" even when there were clear ones. Is this what we can expect from now on?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expected the PS5 to buckle at the field level (even at 1800p) as well but it didn't drop a single frame.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Great performance all around, love continuing to see 60 fps on console. I excited for the next DF Hitman video showing how the different console generations and prior games compare to this.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Hm, will series x start taking the lead now? I thought it would take longer, like a year or so for the tools to mature and no more crossgen games.

I would expect series x and ps5 to be at least be equal in most cases in the future and where they arent for the series x to have an advantage due to cpu, gpu and ram.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The Series X (once its tooling is mature) will favor games that are built for PC and Console imo. PS5 will always have enough bespoke titles built to take advantage of its hardware

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I picked it up on PC and not PS5, assumed it would be 4k

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we gonna act surprised? I mean everybody knew eventually the dev tools and environment would mature. Still doesn't mean much this early in the generation anyway though. Both versions are solid.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Title of the video is a bit click-baity than their other comparison videos which didn't elude to a "winner" even when there were clear ones. Is this what we can expect from now on?

I dont know if its click baity but in most of the other cases, it was always dynamic resolution scaling. This is the first one i can remember where it is a locked resolution advantage for one console over the other

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The drops in the Mendoza level were interesting, and I have to wonder if the PS5 not dropping there was due to the increased GPU clock speed? Stuff like that will probably be the most interesting thing over this generation, seeing which systems have minute advantages over certain areas and why.

Also the Series S version looks pretty good. I think this is the first Series S game that really shows the power of the box

Lower resolution the reason?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • 1800p/60fps on PS5
  • Load times are virtually identical on all next-gen platforms, with PS5 typically coming in about 1/2 a second faster.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Hah, this is the first example of the XSX really looking like the better version, but Ill have to buy for my PS5 so I can play in VR in back compat.

So far I've been doing a great job of buying games on the platform that runs them worse* lol

*everything is fine on both consoles, chill out :p

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I think its fine for this particular video. Series X should have had better results since day one, but time and time again things ran "a bit better" on the PS5 (better dev kits, easier ramp up, etc.). DF knows their audience, on this particular example Series X actually delivers its"promise", why not exploit it ?

I dont think its click bait.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Ok you can stop attacking them for every Video now, Here hoping that with some updates PS5 will be 4K

Sounds like they not done with Hitman 3 wonder why they doing it in parts

Oct 27, 2017

Well the PS5 is pushing 30% less pixels, that probably explains why it maintains 60 fps on that section. Overall, I don't think most people could tell the difference in framerate or resolution between the XSX and PS5 versions without measuring it.

The good thing is that all the next-gen versions look and run really clean. Seems like a great cross-gen port.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is if you can see the resolution difference without pixel counting? That I'd like to know.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
  • 1800p/60fps on PS5
Thanks, didn't notice that the shadows are better on Xbox too.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
4k60 for the vast majority of the game is fantastic. The minor drops here and there could easily be fixed on that one level. Impressive.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I wonder if dynamic resolution can be implemented into a future update so the PS5 can hit 4k and Series S/X drops in that area can be cleaned up.
It seems like there is headroom for DRS up to 4K on PS5 since it locks to 60 fps (might be beneficial to XSX as well). I really wish every game would use DRS as future proofing for BC consoles to come, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
The difference between true 4k and 1800p isn't noticeable during normal gameplay sat at a normal distance from the tv.

If you get up close however, you might tell the difference. In other words, 1800p or 4k, both will look absolute quality on a 4k display. There is virtually nothing between them to the normal naked eye.